Customer reviews

on 29 July 2015
HAPPY WITH ITEM
on 28 March 2017
just what i wanted
Solder paste is not that common these days. It was once to be found in the tool cases of every plumber and on the shelves or in the drawers of TV service technicians workshops. But copper piping and solder jointing has given way to plastic pipes and compression-fit unions and joints. In electronics, just about every component/item of equipment is replaceable: throwaway-and-buy-new. Electronic component soldering is much less common than when I was a trainee electronics engineer, 40+ years ago.

There are relatively few manufacturers of solder flux around but LA-CO has survived. This item is the non-drip, paste flux although wet flux is/was available. A 60gm container will last quite some time and I doubt I will ever use the entire contents because my primary soldering interests involve electronic circuit repair, which uses flux-cored solder rather than flux paste. Flux paste is still mostly used on copper pipe jointing - gas and water - in conjunction with solid solder bars. I have used the LA-CO flux and it is easy to spread onto a surface with a brush/sponge/cloth. Its anti-oxidising properties ensure the hot solder runs smoothly over the surface thereby making a clean and strong joint.

I deducted 1-star for the relatively high price. Flux never used to be expensive but like soldering and solder it is less widely used by the DIY-er, although it is still widely used by industry, which use vast quantities rather than small, 60gm tubes.
on 7 September 2009
I had my ancient tin of 20-odd year old, evil smelling soldering Flux nicked fairly recently and replaced it with a couple of jars
of this product.
It's cleaner, smells like it isn't killing me when I use it, and works brilliantly for the kind of electric guitar mods and repairs
I do quite regularly.
I love it when something just works!
on 15 August 2012
I've been using liquid acid based flux for model making for a while but have become worried about breathing the fumes.

Thought I'd try this as it is non toxic and non acidic. No health warnings at all.

Didn't expect it to work as well as the acid based flux because it is in the form of a grease. I thought it would be difficult to make if flow between the pieces.

In fact it is better. The grease disolves and the solder flows in to replace it. Recommended.
on 6 October 2011
It's a small plastic jar of flux

Helps with soldering making the contacts stick and protects them

can't say there is much i can say that's either good or bad about it, is there really any difference in flux other than the price.

This was good value for money, so buy it if you need it i've been using it for some home electronics and it's worked nicely for me still got like 3/4 tub left after quite a few projects.
on 20 April 2015
Works a treat. Doesn't come with an applicator. Says paste, is a paste, so don't expect it to flow into small spaces. If you need to run it under components to re-flow solder, then get a liquid flux.

Jar isn't shrink wrapped or anything. Nor does it have one of those anti tamper type tops, so I weighed it, comes in at 74grams total.
on 20 July 2013
Looks professionaly and working like that.Very good for work with lead even if laed contains flux in content. I am use it for Professional soldering station . This product is good also when You working in High level temperature and is very efficient.
on 3 October 2013
Flux is the way forward as a way to make soldering easier. This stuff works so well and appears to be a little safer than the traditional stuff which I understand is not very good if you inhale it, which, is not something you have much choice about.
on 23 February 2013
I use this flux sometimes with solder when it's not sticking properly, it does the job very well. Sometimes I find rosin core solder doesn't have enough flux inside so this is useful to have around...works instantly

See one answered question