Format: DVD|Change

on 25 August 2005
I have only recently seen this film, yet it has quickly become one of my favourites. The fact that it features a real-life Bushman is one of the reasons why the film effortlessly weaves comedy into the documentry style in which it is presented. Although in many places you will find yourself on the floor with laughter, the film is far from lacking in eye-opening scenes which really do provoke deep thoughts about the way we live our lives in the industrial world. Using the documentry style, which acts as a window into the mind of the Bushman, the audience is taken into a new world and a new way of thinking, which comically questions how advanced our civilisation actually is. A masterpiece.
on 11 March 2006
I used to rent this as a video on a regular basis years ago - and will now buy it on DVD so that my son can enjoy it too.
Sorry to say that the heartfelt cry of "Long Live N!xau!" is both ironic and tragic, since he died in 2003. (by the way ! is pronounced with a click of the tongue. He was also known as Gcao)
This low budget film made in Botswana makes a sudden switch of style partway through, which is off putting on the first viewing (I always wanted the original style to return as I watched). It also splits into two stories at about this point.
As well as N!xau, look out for the other star of the film, the Landrover or was it a Jeep?
I too cannot recommend it enough, if only for the simple joy of laughter.
on 21 June 2006
The Gods Must Be Crazy is a great film. Although on the surface it might appear crude in style and technically flawed, none of this matters since the superb humour hides the technicalities of the film, and you cannot help laughing. The introduction is a masterpiece. The comparison between the bushmen and life in a South African city is startling, and very funny. One of my favourite lines is the woman in the lunchroom asking, 'Does the noise in my head bother you?'

The plot is quite amusing as well. The bushman are amazed when a very useful tool fell from the sky. In fact, it was a coke bottle dropped from an aeroplane. They find the bottle very useful, but it causes trouble as well. They have always had enough of everything in nature to go around, but here is a thing which there is only one of. It causes fights etc. and the bushman try to give it back to the Gods. They send Xi to the edge of the world to throw the 'evil thing' off the earth. Along his way Xi comes across a bumbling ecologist, a pretty school teacher, and a bunch of terrorists. The second half of the film is less focused than the first half, but it is just as funny. The scenes with the Land Rover are very good indeed.

'The Gods Must be Crazy 2' is slightly less inspired than the original but is very funny as well. This time Xi's children are lost when they get taken away on the truck of an elephant poacher. Xi goes to find them, and once again comes across terrorists, and also elephant poachers, a Lawyer and another ecologist who are lost in the Kalahari when their microlight aircraft is lost in a storm. The characters are not quite as good as their counterparts from the first film, but film is techinically a bit better. More great comedy, and also funny to see in Pierre van Pletzen (aka Oubaas van Zyl from the South African soapie 7de Laan) as poacher, George.

If you're looking for a laugh, look no further than this double feature set. For the price, it is a great buy and will have you in fits of laughter, whether you're african or not.
on 21 December 2006
Oh my Gods.....What can I say about The Gods Must Be Crazy? It is an hilarious film that starts off with an excellent documentary style opening which I think works really well and adds a degree of cheesy humour. The first half of the film is brilliant with many humourous moments that have you reaching for the rewind button to see them again.

The second half loses its way a little but still contains some classic moments.

This movie is worth seeing just for the Landrover scenes...pure genius. I forget how many times I have rewatched these scenes but when i am feeling low I reach for the remote and laugh myself into a dribbling mess. I really really want an old tempremental Landrover for me to kick and shout at.
on 24 August 2006
I just love this film, and the highest praise I can give it is that I cry laughing whenever I watch it. If you want guaranteed laughs, it comes highly recommended.

I'm also very impressed by some of the points made by the bushmen about how we Westeners refuse to adapt to our environment, but instead adapt it to suit us. Great stories, funny actors, complely harmless and compelling fun.
I saw this movie on TV a long time ago when it was first released and I wanted so much to see it again. I recenlty found the dvd on amazon and I was so pleased to get it. It is not only hilarious, but the greatest comedy ever. Although the movie starts as a documentary laced with the comedy of the simplistic nature of the bush men of Kalahari desert, at the same time it raises a lot of life's big questions - who is the civilised man? The man who lives in accordance with the laws of nature and respects nature and the environment or the man who destryos nature and tries to get nature to adapt to him even though he is a guest of mother nature? Very well made, a must see and a must have.
on 6 June 2005
I first saw this film many years ago and had wanted to see it again and watch it with my children.
This is a good old fashioned family film where the baddies are made to look ridiculous and we get to have a look at our hectic lifestyle and laugh at ourselves.
The documentary style is off putting for the first 3 minutes and then the characters in the film have you hooked.
Each time we see it we find something new and amusing.
on 15 April 2007
This film reminds me of my childhood. We used to watch this back in the late 80s early 90s with my dad who has just recently passed away.

The way the tribe men react to that bottle is one of the funniest things i've ever seen and the seriesof two films only gets funnier as it goes along.
VINE VOICEon 13 February 2006
“The Gods Must Be Crazy” must be bought on DVD. The two Disc set. Not so much for the feature itself, but for the documentary that follows. It is a look at the life of the Bushman/Actor called N!xau after the International success of the movie.
This is a fabulous documentary which gives us a look at success that is completely alien, yet haunting and fascinating compared with any Hollywood fair. When N!xau explains the film to children at a local school, the results are heart warming.
The lack of English subtitles (All other languages are covered) did not hinder as Spanish was available.
I cannot recommend it enough. Long Live N!xau!
on 24 January 2005
I watched these as a child and thought they were the funniest films i have ever seen. my sides hurt i laughed so much even when i watch it today. Classic. I definately recomend it.
I've been trying to buy these films in england for years now but no one had ever heard of them. I was really pleased that Amazon sell them at a reasonable price. I found a shop in the east of england that sell south african produce and was quoted for the video for the first film at £22.