on 6 November 2013
Talking Heads have been my favourite band for a very long time and the only LP I don't love is True Stories, but I had never heard The Name of This Band until very recently. I was seriously missing out! Talking Heads were a fantastic live band as I already knew from Stop Making Sense (my 2nd all time favourite LP) so I expected big things and I wasn't disappointed. The recordings sound a lot more stripped back and direct than their studio versions or Stop Making Sense and perhaps have more excitement and energy because of it. This is the expanded 2004 reissue; usually I dislike the addition of bonus tracks (no better way to ruin an album than to stick a duff B Side after the epic finale) to an album but like the 1999 Stop Making Sense reissue it works quite well here because it is more a compilation of live recordings rather than a cohesive album. The extended version is quite a long listen though so I created 2 separate folders in my MP3 library with the original and expanded tracklists.

Favourite picks include New Feeling which sounds really punchy, Air which has an interesting synth in place of the choir and Drugs which is a lot cleaner and sharper than it is on Fear of Music. It is all brilliant through!

That said this is quite an expansive record and I don't think it is a particularly good introduction to the Heads as it doesn't display the sonic variation between albums that much. A better starting point would be to buy a few albums (I recommend 77 and Remain in Light) and listen through the discography a bit before diving into this.

Only problem? There's nothing from Speaking in Tongues! Not to worry as SMS includes a lot of tracks from that album, including a sublime version of This Must Be the Place.
VINE VOICEon 24 January 2006
I have the original vinyl release of this record which was good but always suffered from being heavily edited to fit the format. This remastered release is excellent. The 81 live set is very good and grooves big time, though suffers slightly from over messy guitar breaks.
The real magic of this release is the collection of live performances and radio show performances from 77 to 80. The sound quality is superb and the band were so tight from the earliest of days that you can't fault them. There is no fat on these recordings and they must have sounded totally alien in the late 70's. A real blue print manifesto for the current crop of guitar based bands coming out of the UK.
on 2 September 2004
I owned the original 1982 vinyl of this album and I'm surprised that it has taken this long for a CD release. It's now an essential purchase as it now comprises 33 tracks that take us through the development of the minimalist edginess of the early three/four piece to the later expanded line-up that appeared in the Stop Making Sense' film.
It is never less than compelling and sounds surprisingly contemporary up against the likes of Franz Ferdinand. The extra tracks include a feedback-assisted 'Psycho Killer' and tracks from the rare Warners promo album of 1979. Perhaps the film soundtrack captures the later version of the band better, but CD1 is a pure distillation of what Talking Heads were about.
A worthy document of a classic band that is required listening for anybody bored with unimaginative rock music.
on 12 April 2018
I love it
on 12 November 2016
Great album like the Stop making sense cd the remastered version brings out so much more detail.
on 23 August 2012
I've always enjoyed Talking Heads, Byrne is a quirky genius. This album does not disappoint; live, raw, different & simply amazing. It has a different acoustic to familiar tracks, but really transports you to the audience as if you were there at tne recording.
on 28 April 2016
superb album - takes u right back - how did the whole world not love them!?
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I had two copies of the record on vinyl with identical skipping and sticking problems in the same place.
I'm assuming a bad pressing, returned the items and won't order again.
on 14 November 2016
Great to have this on cd
on 29 March 2015