Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 3 December 2015
As Jamie Cullum seems to keep a very low profile and is rarely seen these days ... thank goodness this live concert was captured on DVD . His unique style may not be to everyone' 's taste but he has a rare talent. Not a particular fan but this disc has more regular usage than even my favourite groups or star singers.
on 16 December 2004
I thought Jamie Cullum was a jazz god when I heard his first CD (before he became famous). I have been desperately trying to see him, but keep missing him ever so slightly(twice in San Francisco, he cancelled Vienna, couldn't get to Germany in time). So I was ecstatic when I saw the DVD was out. It is the best music DVD I have seen. I was capitivated, couldn't move from the screen. You get a sense of his musicianship from the CDs, but until you see him and hear him play live, you can have no idea how talented this young man is. I can't believe a 20 something can improvise jazz piano with the best of them. Phrasing, style, technique, he has it all. And he is an amazing showman. On top of all, the photography/cinemetography is perfect. So many of these DVDs bounce all around showing you everything you just don't care about. If you want to see a real, serious musician and entertainer in action (and of course his highly talented trio +), they capture it all.
Buy it. You will be amazed.
on 17 November 2004
I went to the gig (great seats near the front) and this DVD definately does justice to what was a fabulous experience. The sound quality is excellent as is the video recording. An exercise in great live camerawork. They have re-cut the whole thing, so what they showed on the screens at the event is different to this - so there is not so much of the visuals that another reviewer mentions, although you get a brief glimpse.
They have enhance the colours and lighting a bit I think which accentuates the dramatic sunset and captures the guys on stage all the better.
It has the option to miss out the documentary bits, although I found them quite interesting.
BUY IT.... Buy it NOW! Great Christmas present!
on 19 August 2005
I was never a jazz fan but after hearing Jamie Cullum I began to take notice. I watched the 'Live at Blenheim Palace' DVD and was instantly converted! His renditions of old traditional classic songs turn them into NEW classics. The setting, the atmosphere and the shear talent of Jamie Cullum have changed my views of 'jazz'. My absolute favourite track is an 'Eleanor Rigby' style version of the classic Beachboys song 'God Only Knows'. I would never have believed that one of my all time favourite songs could have been re-styled so brilliantly. How someone so young has accumulated so much talent so quickly is beyond me. I don't even try to understand how he does it, I just sit back and enjoy every last minute of a superb performance.
on 27 October 2004
Whether you have heard of Jamie Cullum or not you will not be dissapointed with this DVD. The content is excellent & keeps you entertained throughout with whitty one liners & fabulous cinematography. This is not just a music DVD but an education about the man himself. A definately for your Christmas stocking!
on 19 August 2005
on 14 June 2006
I was there that night and throughout the day the rain fell constantly.But as we arrived the clouds parted and we were treated to a fantastic sunset,this comes across in the DVD. People from the surrounding villages arrived with picnics and sat around in the ground chatting and relaxing, then to top it all Jamie and his band provided the icing on the cake with outstanding jazz, put together and presented to bridge the gap between the cross section of ages which attended. This concert was infact a homecoming for him as he cut his teeth playing the pubs & clubs throughout the surrounding area and also appeared in the Blenheim Palace finction room for weddings from time to time.The Personalaties which attended that night included Cat Deeley, Cilla, and The Parkinsons. I didn't think that the atmosphere could ever be repeated on the recording, so i never bothered buying a copy at first, but when a friend put it on his surround sound it took me back to that night and i was really suprised how they managed to capture the magic of that performance.

This is a lesson for any serious musician in timing,dynamics and control and also on how to give a diverse audience what they want, a credit to Jamie Cullam and his band.

But sadly i imagine he's a bit pricey for your average wedding or pub gig these days!!!!
on 25 October 2004
Great DVD of an amazing gig! It really catches the energy of a Jamie Cullum gig. This DVD is a great document of the journey Jamie and his men have made over the past year, since 'Twentysomething' came out. It's a great mix of gig footage and footage of their life on the road.
The sublime version of 'God only knows' should be enough reason to buy it.
I was slightly disappointed with the extras. They were different than initially announced. But never mind, it's brilliant and deserves the full 5 stars!
on 25 October 2004
Fab! Absolutely love every minute. The best entertainment in a long time. Hope he keeps producing similar DVD's. I would recommend this to music lovers of all ages.
on 26 June 2011
Jamie Cullen and his band right on form in this live performance....why they are not more popular or top sellers is beyond me. The standard of musical ability is outstanding...with some teriffic adeptations of some old favourites. Ther aren't many performers who could hold a candle to this live performance....It's good to hear someone who can really play....