on 18 January 2018
Nice build quality on this adapter, which mated solidly without trouble to a pair of HDs which had been frustratingly intermittent with cheaper SATA power connectors. Which are in my opinion a poor, flimsy design in general compared to the old sturdy Molex type, but that's another issue. Basically whereas any old Molex would do, with SATA you need to get a good quality manufacturer, and Startech are just that kind of manufacturer.
on 5 October 2016
This adaptor cable worked fine. It converts from a SATA power socket to an older, IDE style power plug in a MOLEX brand shell.
I do a couple of things when connecting this up. 1. Put a cable tie around the mated SATA plug and socket so they cannot pull apart, accidentally. 2. Wrap the mated SATA pair in clingfilm, to prevent dust building up over time. 3. Lightly secure the cable to something in the case, or to an existing cable harness, so the whole cable assembly does not move about in the case.
That's it. The rest is very straighforward.
One person found this helpful
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 February 2014
As the description suggests, this splitter uses a traditional power supply 4 pin (LP4) male socket, and provides two SATA power connectors. Startech provide high quality durable cables, and this power splitter cable is no exception.

Just a tip: Preferably one should be connected to a CD or DVD, and the other to a hard disk (unless using SSD, which requires less power). This avoids excessive load on the power supply line.

Highly recommended
5 people found this helpful
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 10 January 2015
We wanted to fit a Solid State Drive (SSD) alongside the existing hard drive in a PC.
This arrived quick and did the job perfectly. It was a decent length so the install was easy.

This was the same price as a single so ordered this double. It came fast too.
SSDs use very little power so I have another power connector as soon as I see another SSD I'm bagging another.

SSDs really are transformational. I have one in a very old laptop that made it usable again.
One person found this helpful
on 30 August 2016
If you need to power 2 SATA devices from 1 molex cable you should get this. It works as described and from a quality cable brand, Startech. I would have liked some sort of sleeving for the cables as the power connectors are loose and can be a hassle for cable management but at this price point you can't argue the functionality of the cable.
on 7 November 2017
I was quite worried after hearing some moulded SATA connectors caught on fire so I stripped one of these and was quite happy with what I saw.

The connections between the wires and the pins seem to be the crimped kind, which avoids corrosion and irregular spacing.
on 29 September 2016
Fitted a USB 3.0 pci-e card to my computer, but run out of 4 pin molex connecters to power it up, I have a modular psu, but couldn't find the extra cables that went with it, so this StarTech cable saved the day, it's well made, both of the end connecters are attached strongly to the cables.
on 30 January 2016
This is a niche product and I expect that if you're reading this review, you'll know exactly what it's for, so I won't explain further. Suffice to say, this is a well-built product that works perfectly. I've bought a number of StarTech products over the years and they have always been competitively priced, functional and long-lasting - this is no exception,
on 24 July 2015
This does what it says on says on the tin. The molex (LP4) plug is a VERY TIGHT fit into the already existing molex socket end in your computer. Past experience tells me that if you have, or can borrow, waterpump pliers or Mole-grips then fitting the plug is easy - without those kinds of tools be prepared for a struggle. (I should say that I've used these kinds of splitters for years and it doesn't matter where you get them from the molex plug is always a very tight fit.)
on 7 October 2017
A better solution for hooking up hard-drives than the supplied cables. More flexable than the cables that have the SATA power heads attached to the cable itself. Cheap as well.