on 26 July 2005
This silver mouse with its central orange glow that brightens when you move it looks fantastic on your desktop, but it's a workhorse just like any other mouse :-)
The hemispherical design is very comfortable in your hand, and unlike another reviewer, I didn't find it any smaller than my previous traditional Intellimouse.
A customer who reviewed the blue version of the S+arck mouse complained that his cursor had a mind of its own and went dashing about to the far corners of the screen. At first I had this problem too, intermittently, but then I discovered the cause was my mousemat. It was simply too smooth and the large design was confusing the mouse's opticals; once I took the mat away and used the mouse directly on my desktop, it worked perfectly. I haven't had an optical mouse before and have since learned that they are all prone to this, and have been told that a plain, dark mousemat rather than a highly patterned one is best. For the moment, however, I'm sticking to the desktop.
One thing I like very much about the S+arck is the "clickiness" and positive feel of its scroll wheel, which makes it easy not to overshoot and move just the amount you want.
The mouse has a light feel - again this may be subjective, as I have been used to a traditional mouse with ball - and needs a light touch too. Because the "buttons" are not, as is usual, confined to the end but run the whole length of the mouse, you have to train yourself not to lean on it too heavily or you will find yourself clicking when you don't want to. I keep finding myself right-clicking, particularly when I'm tired, and it is a nuisance. I think most users would need to modify their usual "mouse hold" a little for this special design.
That's my only reservation about the S+arck mouse, however. If you need a new mouse and want to add some style to your desktop with a product that looks great and works beautifully, try this one.
VINE VOICEon 17 October 2004
This new mouse from Microsoft, beautifully designed by S+arck looks great in the box. Out of the packaging and plugged in to your PC it looks even better, as the middle of the mouse lights up (in either orange or blue). It looks especially nice in darker rooms at night.
It doesn't fail to disappoint in use either. It's optical so there's no need for a mousemat (it works well on any surface) and the accuracy is spot on. I used a wireless Microsoft mouse before this and got fed up of replacing the batteries every two months - and recommend this for anyone looking to upgrade from an older mouse.
This mouse is smaller than many, so doesn't fit in your hand quite so well, yet it is still comfortable to use, even for extended periods of time - and at just £26 its fantastic value for money.
on 16 November 2005
Bought two of these, one in each colour. One is six months old, the other eight months. Both have worn very badly despite reasonably light usage and now have patches of silver colour missing. Very disappointing after initially thinking the mouse looked and operated fantastically.