on 24 January 2012
I bought this radio to listen to at lunchtimes at work. As such I wanted a cheap little device to receive Radio 4, Radio 2 and Five Live that I would not be too upset should it get lost or damaged. This Lloytron unit looked ideal and so it is proving to be.
The N706 is very much a no frills mono radio with coverage of FM and AM (medium wave) bands. Thumbwheels control the tuning and the off/volume function with a simple slide switch to select the frequency band. The tuning wheel drives an indicator across the calibrated linear frequency scale though the FM frequency calibration on my unit is less than precise as the spectrum from 88 to 96 MHz is squashed into about 6mm at one end of the scale. This seems a minor quibble though as the unit has sufficient sensitivity to pick up each of my favourite stations on FM without any breakthrough from nearby frequencies.
The single speaker provides adequate volume for personal use without too much distortion and is fine for speech. The quality of music reproduction is passable for pop and it would be unfair to expect much more than that for a device at this price level.
The unit is made of decent quality plastics and looks reasonably durable. Overall I am very pleased with this unpretentious little radio which at less than a fiver is great value. A worthy four star rating from me with a special commendation for VFM.
VINE VOICEon 4 September 2013
I just LOVE most Lloytron Radios; they seem to have the edge on design and good value for money - yet never becoming cheap and nasty. This is an excellent little pocket Radio. The sound is EXCELLENT, and I wondered why, and though I'm no expert, and it is not referred to, it looks to me as if this little gem has TWO Speakers in it! There appears to be a kind of `Tweeter' in the bottom left-hand corner when looking through the Speaker grill - apart from the main larger Loudspeaker in the centre! This is not referred to anywhere, and so is merely an observation, but it tally's with the extra good sound you get from what should be a pretty basic sound from a little Pocket Radio at this price! Includes Earphones too!

My only dislike is the type of plastic that has been used for the casing; it's that awful type that is too glossy and looks sort of marked and soiled when it isn't, and shows up every finger mark and makes it look like it's second hand when it's brand new. But then having said that; what can you get better than this for under a fiver...?

Well done again Lloytron!
on 23 May 2012
I bought this for my car glove box. This radio is very light and very plastic. It feels like there is more air than workings. The batteries will probably last a long time as there is nothing to it. It is more like a childs toy than a real transitor radio but it does the job. The telescopic ariel is in a fixed position (no swivelling). As has been mentioned elsewhere, the tuning bar is wildly inaccurate due to the spacing of the numbers on the facia being out of sync with it. The actual tuning bar is dark grey against a black background and can be difficult to see. Also, there is no LED to show if you have got the best tuning. The radio will do me for the reason that I bought it for(small cheap radio to keep in glove box). I would advise anybody to pay a little more if they want an all rounder and something to love. (Edit 25/3/2013) I wrote that before I had to live with this rsdio. It is absolute rubbish. Do not buy. You can buy a better one for under a fiver from Asda (Honest).
on 24 April 2012
I have 3 of these and all came with broken arials eventualy 1 came with the arial intact but pulled it up and down twice and guess what full arial and plastic holding it came out NOT GOOD STAY AWAYLloytron N706 AM/FM Portable Radio
on 23 April 2012
I'm very happy with this radio that is actually bigger than it looks ...it was cheap and delivered in about 2 days ...I fastened it to the handlebars of my mountain bike so it gets knocked around and rained upon , but still keeps on ticking
on 28 December 2011
First class product,well made and good value for money.The reception in my area is five star.For the price paid it is a bargain and well worth having.
on 5 September 2012
This radio does all asked of it and is very lightweight. I liked the features of having the ear speakers and a belt clip with my purchase although a couple of batteries would have been useful for an instant trial when received.Lloytron N706 AM/FM Portable Radio
on 23 January 2014
it works but that's about it poor quality but with such a cheap price you cant complain x x x
on 2 October 2015
Not happy, gave to charity shop