on 3 June 2011
For a little less money you can buy an amp that's a novelty, a toy, or just not very good. This is a real, usable amp, not just for practice but also for real music-making. In the real world, the tones and the effects work very well indeed. Whereas the little Pignose is a one-trick pony, and is best suited to harmonica, this little gem enables an acoustic guitarist with a pickup to be heard clearly in a pub session, or an electric player to plug into the P.A. with a range of amp emulations to hand. The "mic" setting is a clean channel with a surprising amount of headroom. And forget the wattage rating, it's meaningless. There's a lot of clean power to be had, which makes it a cracking little lap steel amp too. Ten out of ten.
And for carrying it around, I use this:
HIGHLANDER GREEN HAVERSACK ARMY MILITARY SATCHEL BAG.

An update.

A year on, and it's not so good any more. The speaker, which used to buzz a little with some chords, now makes a variety of unpleasant noises, not only with bass notes. With the lap steel, tuned high G, it's unusable. This turns out to be a common problem with the Micro Cube. There are several replacements and modifications to be found online. I have ordered a replacement from a different manufacturer.
So, it's a lovely amp let down by an inadequate speaker unit. I can no longer recommend this product.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 May 2008
This amp is probably the best practice amp you can buy in my opinion - and I'm a guitar teacher with a whole lot of students who use these amps. This little amp will enable you to play in all styles at an acceptable quality of sound, at practice sound levels at home. It's only two watts but that's plenty loud enough for home and bedroom practice - and if you want it to sound louder, just plug in some earbuds or phones and you're in your own guitar world - except nobody else can hear it. Or you could slave it to a bigger amp and get all the effects and modelling at the bigger amp's output.

Has four main effect settings and you can opt for any one of these on a rotary control - you get more and more of the effect through a quarter of the dial's total rotation - then it switches to the next effect at a low level and builds that one up until the next, and so on. It has Chorus, Flanger, Phaser and Tremolo. You can also add either reverb, or digital delay - reverb is a sound that's like playing in a church and digital delay sounds like playing in a corridor with slap-back echo. Reverb is a cold, stone building sort of sound, and delay contains varieties of slap echo - warmer in my opinion. Lastly you have 7 amp models to shape the sound - acoustic guitar sound (even though you put an ordinary electic guiar in - it comes out like an acoustic), a Roland Jazz Chorus amp, a Fender style blackface, a VOX AC30 sound, one like a Marshal stack (get real guys - it sounds like that, - but it's still only at loud bedroom level), a rectifier sound like a Mesa, and lastly a PA setting - so you can speak or sing louder(?). It has a headphone socket so you can practice silently - well that's to anyone else that doesn't have the head phones on - an aux socket so you can input your iPod or MP3 player, and the phones socket can also be used as an output into a PA or another louder amp - something I've done with a 1000 watt PA (wow - awesome!).

I've used one of these every day with students for a couple of years and after about 2000 hours it shows hardly any wear - these are very well made and are always selling for pretty much full price as a consequence.

This is an really excellent amp and a much better option than those cheapy £20 ones that seem to be packaged up with guitar sets. When you consider it has four effects already in it, and amp modelling, digital delay, and reverb, it's an easy decision to make.

Update - 22/11/12 after a few years I decided to get another and sold the original to a student who wanted it. It wasn't that anything was wrong - it just seemed like the right thing to do after loads of use. I used it so much that if you were a student using it for an hour a day, it would take you twenty years to equal my ues with students. (Hope that made sense!) Very well made. Destined to become a classic over time. Batteries last about 15 to 20 hours depending on your volume - but it will run fun on rechargables as well, so that's a much cheaper option. (If you go the rechargable route, don't forget you'll need a battery charger, because the power supply with the Roland won't charge batteries.)
on 5 June 2010
If you are a guitar player then this is an extremely useful piece of kit. It's small, compact, light-weight and easy to carry around but it produces some great sounds and has quite a few useful features. The Roland Micro Cube amplifier can work off the mains power supply or with batteries. It is perfect for practising at home or for playing intimate little gigs in small venues or even for busking. It has one standard jack plug input socket for your guitar lead and there are six different amp settings for guitar (Acoustic, JC Clean, Black Panel, Brit Combo, Classic Stack and R-Fier) plus a microphone setting.

There are control knobs for Tone, Gain and Volume and the amp has four effects built into it (Chorus, Flanger, Phaser and Tremelo) and it also has Delay and Reverb AND a built-in tuning fork!

The Power 0n/Off button is located at the back of the amp, along with a socket for Rec Out/Phones and an Aux In socket. You can get a variety of different sounds with this amp and it can be useful in various musical styles and the fact that this amp has the Roland badge on it means that you are buying a quality piece of equipment.
on 11 November 2010
I was recommended this amp by a friend of mine, and after seeing countless 5 star reviews from Amazon.co.uk and elsewhere, I figured that this was the best I was going to find.

I was not disappointed.

This amp gives an amazing range of sounds, along with compact size and stable shape.
This is not only the best Roland Amp I have ever used (I use Roland bass amps too) but probably the best practice amp I have seen.

It is loud enough to make my parents tell me to turn it down, and small enough for me to carry to college and back when I need it. The battery capability is also impressive, allowing for playing outside when the weather is nice, or busking for some extra cash. You can also attach a guitar strap to it and sling it over your shoulder to play whilst moving!
Ignore Line 6 or Marshall or whatever other practice amps you find, this amp is absolutely amazing.
on 1 March 2010
Thank you to C.R.Downings review above it was very helpful and also very accurate. I had been considering similar (and less expensive) alternative amps but plumped for this one in the end.

For me one of the most important considerations was to get a nice sound, I didnt want to be limited to a rough rocky guitar sound, but since I'm learning from beginner level I also wanted to be able to have a nice warm clean sound. For this reason alone this amp has exceeded my expectations. It has two pre-set sounds that are ideal for the learner - the "JC Clean" and also the "R-Fier" - when I plug my guitar in the sound is soo clean, quiet and warm and has a such a rich sound even with lots of sustain even though I am just playing my basic beginner practice sequences. Its such a pleasure to learn and makes me want to pick up the guitar again and again and keep on playing (until my fingers start hurting that is).

The build quality is very good.

My only question is why the gain drops off so much when you switch away from either the JC Clean or R-FRIER sounds and onto one of the other sounds - you then have to turn up the gain on the amp to compensate - not sure why its set-up that way - would be better if you could switch between sounds and have roughly the same level.

I've had a little play with the effects and they also sound very good - but I really am not in a position to do them justice yet.

In the end I paid £30-£40 more to get this amp over one or two of the budget models but because of the beautiful sound I think it was well worth it.
on 17 May 2011
Does sound pretty good overall, the 7 amp models work well, and it has reasonable volume. Not that happy with the effects however, as the four choices are controlled by one rotary control that doesn't provide much precision, and doesn't really allow you to turn effects completely off.
on 27 September 2013
I bought this amp to put a microphone through for busking. Initially I intended to buy a cheaper alternative but I was worried about the sound quality, so decided to invest in this instead. I'm so glad that I did. It's such a tiny little thing but the sound quality is phenomenal and it's amazingly powerful.

I honestly don't think I could have made a better choice for a busking amp. There's absolutely no danger of it being too quiet. I've even used it as a vocal PA at duo gigs. The reverb is fairly good. I haven't tried the other effects or the various guitar modes but I have heard plenty of guitarists rave about this amp's big brother, the Cube, so I imagine the Micro Cube is good for guitars too.

The removable batteries are an important feature; I once bought a similar amp (different brand) which had an internal battery and after so many charges the battery died, therefore the whole amp was useless. With this amp, you can buy rechargeable batteries, charge them with a separate charger, and then replace them when you need to. It takes 6 x AA batteries.

A couple of things that might put someone else off, though they don't really bother me:

- No XLR input - just the one 1/4 inch jack and the auxiliary input on the back.
- The auxiliary input is only mono, and there are no controls for it other than the main volume. You can't add any effects to the aux input or control the volume independently.
- The "Rec out/phones" output is just a headphone socket, which bypasses the speaker. It would be completely useless for recording a live performance, because you wouldn't be able to hear anything! However, it might be useful in a recording studio.
on 21 November 2008
This is an amazing amp for its money I have one and I can honestly say it's the best amp I have ever owned! It has special effects such as *delay *reverb and many others. It is the best amp to buy if you are looking for a cheap, loud , stylish and portable mini amp with effects! 10 out of 10 5 star*****
on 22 December 2012
I have been playing guitar for over 35 years and owned this for 3 or 4 & consider this the best practice amp I have ever owned. It has a great and varied range of sounds, solid construction, auxiliary input for backing tracks and a headphone socket. Considering this is a practice amplifier plus decent amplifier emulation plus effects (modulation on one knob delays on another) as well it is a very good buy.
on 3 September 2009
See the other two reviews. This little Roland is awesome for its size, and sounds fab. I liked mine so much that I went out and bought another one and use them as a stereo pair from some of my effects. This sounds light years ahead of anything else this size and is worth every penny.