Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 July 2004
I got this record on the strength of the 2 singles i had heard, but nothing about them prepared me for how great this album would be.I have bought every major guitarband's release this year, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, Razorlight etc and enjoyed all of them, it is indeeda good time for good guitar music.
However the Ordinary boys album blows them all away, the opening and title track is a classic with it's motown brass and cutting lyrics.This band have something to say unlike most bands who prefer bland ambigious lyrics, i love 'Just a song', with the line this is not cathartic this is just a song.
Other stand out songs are Seaside and weekend revolution.
buy this if you want your live seriously enriched by something exciting.Not a dinner party record more a smash the house up kind!IMPRESSED
on 4 January 2005
I bought this one on the strength of hearing the single 'Week in Week out' - reminded me of 'time for heroes' by the Libertines but with their own distinctive sound - nice to hear some 'English' vocals again, bringing the Jam to mind. Apart from all of this the OBs do stand out as a band with a little bit of character and attitude in a time of identikit guitar bands. The production could do to be a bit more raw in my opinion...whatever, this will get you out of your seat and get you going...easily worth the money.
Enjoy, love, Neil
on 26 July 2004
Well I dont get it. The reviews for this seem to err on the side of "it aint that good" but it really is!!!
I guess it illustrates the diverse nature of the Amazon reviewer or maybe it illustrates the level of intelligence of the average NME reader!! but it seems to me that the people who bought this following the hype in the press have been dissapointed, those that bought it following watching them and their performances at the festivals this summer are over the moon that something so vibrant and catchy has come out of the british scene this year..
Personally, Im a little biased. I loved their performances but if I tell you that the first time I listed to this CD, I had just jumped on my Vespa, put on my parker and was having a nice ride down to bournemouth.. you'll know what I mean..
This is a great CD, give it a chance....
on 16 July 2004
Hype's a funny thing. It can either make a band hugely popular or widely criticised purely because they can't live up to the expectations of the public. The Ordinary Boys fall into the latter category. While they have not been as overhyped as other bands have been in the past couple of years, some reviews have been misleading. Not that this is an awful album or anything, but when I bought it I was expecting more. When I listened to it all the way through with my friends, we all agreed that it could have been better.
On the whole, this is actually not that bad an album. The title track is very great and has a lot of energy behind it. The two singles (Week In, Week Out and Talk, Talk, Talk) are catchy, well written and fun. 'Maybe, Someday' is also a good track, with a punky intro and riff and another catchy chorus. Aside from those four tracks, there is very little more than filler on offer here. However the band sound good, especially the vocalist. I really like the very London vibe and sound of the whole album.
This is not a highly original album, nor are The Ordinary Boys at the forefront of new British music. This is however, a pretty good debut from a band that needs to find their own sound. I look forward to checking them out live at this years Reading festival. Try before you buy people, this album may not be for everbody!
on 4 January 2005
There's not much about today's music scene that gets me excited, but next to the indie northern soul of Rinaldi Sings, The Ordinary Boys are the only other band worth bothering about. With their driving pop tunes and flashes of Motown brass, the Ordinary Boys will be around for some time yet - and this album will be played for years to come. Check it out.
I took to this album straight away because of its raw energy and emotion - it reminded me of a lot of new wave bands in the late 70's ( even echoing In The City by The Jam in places, although not quite hitting that very high standard). A very good debut and I look forward to hearing 'Brassbound'
on 30 June 2004
This album has been anticipated by many, The Ordinary boys are at the fore front of British Music. They have a unique sound which can be compared to previous bands, but nothing which is around at the moment. Their songs are more than just catchy they pull you in and make you want to listen to them over and over again, seeing them live also has this effect. They are a lively band with defined characters, Preston the lead singer has charisma which is reflected through his singing. Overall a class act and just pure music.
Get this album and play it loud, definetly worth it.
on 12 November 2015
Bought this second-hand, the case slightly broken and worn (although this could be as expected?) and the CD a little scratched. BUT it plays fine. I cannot complain much for the cheap price I purchased it for.
on 17 July 2004
This is possibly one of the albums of the year from the little known Sussex lads. If you missed their set at Glastonbury catch them at another festival. Anyone who is a fan of guitar based music needs to have this album in their collection, now! It is a mixture of excellent, fresh lyrics coupled with some inspired guitar riffs and drum beats. Front man Preston's voice is very distinctive and you will not be able to get it out of your head after only one listen to this. An excellent album, order it now.
on 24 April 2006
Im writing to disagree with a previous reviewer i have both of TOB albums and Over the Counter Culture is definatly the better of the two,although i like Brassbound i found it a lackluster attempt after their amazing debut,Over the Counter Culture is an amazing album,every time i listen to it a different song becomes my favourite even after listening to it for months it never fails to cheer me up,best tracks have to be In Awe of the Awful and Seaside so BUY IT NOW