Customer reviews

Antony and The Johnsons
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 September 2001
Really, no words can describe this CD. It is the most tragic and beautiful collection of songs I have ever heard in my short life. Setting the mood with eerie opener 'Twilight' Antony and his Johnsons could not have got off to a better start. A dark song, with an echoing crescendo. 'Cripple and the Starfish' follows, and this would probably be my favourite. Just listen to it. Song three, 'Hitler in my Heart' has the most beautiful ending a song could ever have. I could go on, but do yourself a favour: Get the CD, turn the lights out, and lay down on the bed. And listen.
on 21 September 2005
If you read the reviews of any of Antony's albums and EPs, here or the UK site, you may find that being rendered speechless after listening to his music is mentioned frequently. I consider this not only accurate but also likely to happen to anyone who may listen to this, his debut, album or its follow-up, the Mercury Prize winner "I Am A Bird Now."
It has been a long time since a singer or songwriter -Antony is both- has moved me so deeply with the dramatic range of his voice, the enveloping depth of his melodies or the courage of his words.
Just consider "Cripple And The Starfish" and "Hitler In My Heart," the second and third cuts, that -particularly if listened together- will absolutely floor you with the tender courage of their lyrics and the glorious beauty of Antony's voice.
For those who may not know his work, I may not be able to offer the kind of references that can serve them well. In term of genre, you can't call it Pop or Alternative, for instance, and expect to have a reliable idea of what you'll hear. If I have to put a style label to this music I'd have to coin a new one, "Alterative," because that's exactly what it might do to you: alter you.
Finally, since I haven't mentioned them yet, a word about The Johnsons. Their sound -almost a chamber ensemble, with the addition of drums and bass- is particularly suited for this music and exquisitely performed. "Divine," a beautiful tribute to the star of many John Waters films, "Twilight" and "The Atrocities" are another three great examples of the band's gift for accompanying Antony.
Although, to my taste, I Am A Bird Now of some songs in the recent EPs (I've reviewed them too, in their pages- may be even more mature statements, this album must be given your full attention. This is a solid five-star album and the first powerful document of an amazing new voice.
11 Comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 March 2017
Very good album
on 24 August 2014
More please!
If you are wanting to seek something different try this. In a world with loads of mass media pop dross this is refreshingly different. Wonderfully crafted music and lyrics with superb recording production; beautiful for decent Hi-Fi systems.
VINE VOICEon 27 August 2005
More & more people are now becoming aware of Antony & the Johnsons. Their second album, 'I Am A Bird Now' has been nominated for the Mercury prize & I'm sure their popularity will grow. As a result people will want to find out more about them & look for any previous albums they may have released. Well, this is the previous album & I'm going to tell you about it!
Antonys voice is haunting, emotional, beautiful & totally unique. His lyrics & the music are the same. It doesn't matter what you're in to, whether it's rock, dance, rap, whatever, this record will grab your attention & hold it for the full 35minute (exact) duration. It's an experience you won't get too often with much of todays new music.
'Cripple and the Starfish' is the most stunning song I've ever heard & 'Hitler in My Heart' is dark & moody yet dripping with brilliance. Each of the other 7 songs are all in the same vain.
Ok, so you've figured out there's just 9 songs on this album & initially I too thought that that ain't many songs but believe me it isn't an issue. I promise you you won't be disappointed with what's on offer.
If you've heard 'I Am A Bird Now' & liked it then you'll love this 100 times greater & if you have absolutely no idea who Antony & the Johnsons are then buy this album & be enlightened. This is one of my favourite records ever & I can't recommend it highly enough!
-PS. I'm an 18 year old boy into everything from System Of A Down to DJ Shadow so even if this isn't normally your sort of thing you WILL be pleasantly surprised.
0Comment| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 October 2014
This is wonderful, I adore this album.Misplaced my first copy and had withdrawal symptoms till I replaced it.Antonys voice is exquisite.
VINE VOICEon 25 September 2005
You may find some of the analogies in the lyrics a little odd at first, but persevere. A stunning start to what should be a stunning career follows. Antony's voice is something to behold.
With songs like "The Cripple and the Starfish" and "Hitler in my Heart" Antony really opens up his personal torment in a way that is completely compelling.
As with their second album "I am a Bird Now" Antony steals what is, on the whole, a pretty impressive show. His voice and their style are something different and special. I can only recommend that you get hold of this, it is an amazing album. And, afterall, who are we to argue with Lou Reed? Stunning.
on 10 September 2005
I love this guy and his music.He moves me to tears.It is just so profound and beautiful,and his great love of cello and violin is a haunting addition that makes the experience almost too beautiful to bear.He is a truly beautiful soul with a wonderful chraol rich vocal range that is quite quite beyond words.Miss him at your peril.
on 18 February 2007
I cant stress enuf - this is wonderful music made by a wonderfully creative and daring man. He is alive and full of exciting expressions of his expereince of living.
on 30 October 2009
Anthony and the Johnsons is really nothing like what I've heard before. It's just out of this world! It brings you in other spheres you've ever been before!