Customer reviews

on 27 June 2004
If you haven't heard of Steven Wright, or think he is an old DJ doing dodgy gags ORDER THIS CD. Mr Wright provides pure comedy genius from his opening one liner through to the last. Bizarre and seemingly unconnected one liners fly at you and leave you reeling from their sheer oddness. His unique deadpan style and insane view of 'reality' are a genuine treat for anyone who likes something different. "I bought some powdered water. . . but I didn't know what to add" Genius.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 September 2010
This society is not overpopulated with eligible members. In the UK, there are the likes of Tim Vine and Milton Jones, both of whom are excellent, a good Canadian (who does the "I asked the librarian the way to the 'Books on Self-Help' Section and she told me to work it out for myself." gag) but whose name,*** momentarily I cannot recall ( a senior moment).

I have yet to find or be impressed with any American, beside Stephen Wright deserving of membership. This makes it a pretty exclusive domain. The problem with one-liners is the amount of material they whizz through in a 10 minute set, let alone longer, and either they've got to churn out new material with rapidity or we hear the same material over and over again and there is only so many times you can laugh at the same gags. And once you've done national television or brought out a CD, your 'cover' has been exposed.

Stephen Wright, delivers his ironic, philosophical, one-liners and gags in his trademark 'lethargic' voice in a deadpan style and the result is a very entertaining performance containing many lines that you will want to tell others. Don't as Wright's skill is in the unique delivery of his lines, and you won't have that ability and your efforts will only bring blank reactions.

A good buy for a bit of a chuckle but has less of a 'play' life than good tracks of music.

*** My 'brain malfunction' has corrected itself (Wiki actually) and the name is Stewart Francis.
on 25 September 2009
Steven Wright, absolute master of the deadpan one-liner, shines brilliantly in these performances. He does for the ear what Buster Keaton did for the eye: dry as a bone comedy. I find that some of his stuff doesn't actually make you laugh, but simply leaves you thinking about the weirdness of language, or fills you with admiration for what he does with it. The only downside in these recordings is the audience, which is at the polar opposite of Wright. While he deadpans away, they are wildly over the top in their whoops and animal-like cries of "yeeeah!" Maybe it's a Pond thing, as I find American programmes such as The Daily Show badly let down by their over-enthusiastic and uncritical studio laughter and applause. Understated comedy deserves something better. But overall, this is worth getting on the strength of Wright's Jewish cowboy joke alone -- so long as you can screen out the fans.
on 21 February 2011
I first heard the recording of Steven Wright's "I have a pony" about ten years ago. You probably think that will make this performance dated and unfunny. You could not be more wrong. It's still a work of genius and just as funny today as when it was first performed. My only regret is I didn't buy it sooner and hear him live. This performance is perfect. Any comedian who is still quoted by the likes of Steven Fry on his show QI just has to be good. He is also intelligent and his humour makes you think. I didn't get all of the jokes until I had listened to it for the third time. Do yourself a favour and buy this.
It's just that good.
Then go out and get the second CD by Mr Wright, "I still have a pony."
Oh, and don't forget to have some painkillers ready. Your sides are going to hurt.
on 9 March 2014
I love Steven Wright, I first saw him many years ago and he still has some of the best one liners going. This CD is quite short but has some fabulous bits. Buy and enjoy.
on 28 June 2013
I have liked this guy for years and decided to take the plunge and buy his CD great to listen to every so often, short, sharp and intelligent jokes.
on 18 January 2012
I listen to this album time and time again. I don't think I'll ever tire of hearing his side splitting one-liners, he's 'The Master'.
on 22 February 2009
Quite simply the best thing Wright has produced. Shame on you if it is not in your comedy collection
on 14 December 2008
I love the deadpan presentation and obscure observations, but this is very VERY short and left me wanting more. I was pleased with the content but frustrated in the end. Sounds like the story of my life.
on 31 January 2005
Yes it's a live recording, so ofcourse there will be an audience there... but my Lord what a noisy irritating bunch of goons they are. I found it extremely conflicting with Steven Wright's quiet, unassuming, monotone delivery to have a whooping, yeehawing, gefawing, constantly clapping crowd in the recording, drowning out his dark humour.