on 19 August 2016
Great Dvd
on 15 July 2015
a great insight to the Falklands war,the start, with the argies invading to the surrender .if you don't know the history of the war this is the dvd
on 6 March 2015
Just what my husband wanted
on 16 January 2005
Enjoyable and informative, this well researched and presented DVD provides a good over view of the conflict. The tactics and strategies of the fighting are well explained, although I would like to have seen more about the fighting on the mountains around Stanley. The epic battle of Goose Green is well covered, although let down slightly by some dubious fuzzy focus reconstructions. There is much detail about the air war and naval actions. I had just read Middlebrooke's The Falklands War before I bought this DVD, and this is one occasion where the book beats the DVD.
Worth a purchase though.
on 28 December 2012
A great video over the Falklands War with many details and things that I did not know. It is great because it helps you learn this War.
I bought this some time ago to add to my collection of conflicts and documentary films. I'm surprised at some of the lower scores as I found the production to be very good overall, with a mix of archive footage, interviews and some excellent diagrams showing tactical strategy and troop movements. Some might find the pace a tad slow though (I'm fine with it we're all different)

Being a more recent production the graphical effects are up to par (clean and crisp) narration is good with Manning and Booth who both manage to hold viewers attention with well paced commentary on events on screen. At about 90 minutes this is about the right length for a documentary on the conflict, certainly it's not rushed in any way and does provide very in depth information about specific battles and the overall operation from all aspects land/sea/air.

With any documentary I'm looking for one that gives a good overview from both sides of the conflict, to be fair this is a native UK production so you would expect a slant on that direction, but I found the interviews with some Argentine servicemen did balance things out fairly well from the perspective of both sides so I don't feel it's particularly biased but rather factual and honest in it's portrayal of what really happened (which is never easy to do)

One of the difficulties of a documentary is that new viewers who have little knowledge of the conflict might be put off with a deep production, similarly well informed viewers don't want something that's too lightweight and doesn't provide the details they want. Here I think the production is balanced and suited to a variety of viewers and I personally found it interesting and well made, though as others have noted I'd have liked a bit more archive footage (there is some but quite a lot of interviews and graphics)

Since buying this I believe Pegasus have an expanded version with multiple discs, I've not seen that edition so can't comment. However if you want a good detailed but non quick fire documentary on the conflict this is probably the best place to start.
on 23 May 2007
This DVD covers the events that led to the war, how the war started, how diplomacy failed to stop it and finally how the war was conducted. I really like this documentary and of all war documentaries that I have this is one of few which I have watched several times which great amusement. The telling of the story is made by interviewing veterans, and others which adds a lot to the dry facts. The subjects chosen for interview are correct British officers and soldiers which can speak (as only British can) with near absence of emotions and exaggerations which gives a very human touch to the story. Also a few Argentine veterans are interviewed with translation from Spanish.
Good combat footage, as well as reconstructions are shown. Unfortunately most fighting took place in darkness.
Slow pace of telling the story, no rush at all. If you consider that many war documentraies cover the entire WWII in less than 93 minutes you realise that all aspects of this conflict are covered in depth. Not one stone is left unturned. For instance, the subjects tell us about their send off, with people gathered around the harbor cheering for them, and how importaint that was for morale - before going far away to fight.
Surley you cannot expect completely impartial information from a British documentary about a war between Britain and Argentine. However, I do think this is a fair presentation of the war, with a little tillt toward the British side.
I recommend this DVD to anyone interested or curious about the Falklands War. Feel free to check my other reviews, I do not just give away the highest grade, right and left.
on 17 September 2014
Having served in the Parachute Regiment pre Falklands I related with the Para's who served in the Falklands and with
their fighting spirit; the Royal Marines were good competition.
DVD well produced.
on 22 October 2016
Brilliant..for those who where there and for those who want to understand it more in depth.. especially the interviews with the service men...and the 3d graphics
on 9 March 2015
good dvd, informative, fast shipping, ok price