Top critical review
5 people found this helpful
Useless for anything other than hobby tanks
on 27 January 2016
Before I start I had intended to use this on my marine saltwater aquarium, it's a fairly standard fare but is fairly deep cube tank. The glass is 10mm thick. I'm pretty sure most of the cons would not be an issue for a small hobby freshwater aquarium but it's useless for anything more serious. My review is based on my experiences and Marina make no mention of any limitation of this product on larger sized tanks and/or how thick glass this product can work with.
This has to be one of the worst Algae Magnets available. What the picture doesn't show you is that the you have to attach a small cotton string to both magnets as this magnet is really heavy.
- On my cube tank the string was not long enough so I could not get the magnet to the bottom 3rd of the glass
- The magnet is not that strong on my 10mm thick glass so for me kept popping off
- The string just gets tangled
- The string gets easily caught and tangled on aquarium equipment like power heads and filters.
- The string looks awful just hanging down when not in use.
- The string ends up wet on both sides leaving marks on the glass you've just cleaned.
Now as you can see most of the cons revolve around the string, the string is required because the magnet is very heavy and when it comes detached from the other side the thing falls like a lead weight to the bottom crashing into your corals or fish and could do serious damage. But even when using the string when it falls it just becomes a pendulum swinging around in the tank bashing into fish and corals so achieves very little.
- It's microfiber so probably won't scratch the glass unless sand is caught in the pad.
- Cleaning performance is ok but won't remove anything but the lighted algae.
All in all I'm very disappointed with the product and feel it's limitations should have been pointed about in the product listing. Now it's been used I'm pretty sure I can't send it back.