Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 17 April 2015
One of the great unheard pop albums of the last 50 years.Worth buying simply for the song People Used To Dream About The Future, a great song about lost love,but the whole album's fantastic. The songs document what must have been a very low period in her life with the break up of a long term relationship and the death of her mother, but although the songs are often melancholy they are never self pitying. She's a fan of Dusty Springfield and it shows in the dramatic arrangements and rich production by Richard Hawley and if you like his solo work you'll probably like this.I love it and still play it frequently.My only regret is that Erin Moran has never made anything since,but then sometimes an artist just says everything they need to say in one go and says it so perfectly that perhaps they feel they will never surpass it.Whatever,this is an absolute classic. Unique and beautiful. Recommended to fans of Burt Bacharach, Jimmy Webb, Dusty Springfield and Richard Hawley. Signed...A fan. Haha.
on 4 August 2004
Trust me, this is a fabulous album which is instantly likeable.
When I first listened to her voice, I heard an accent which sounded like an American with a touch of north-country English and which just couldn't be right, could it? Well, I logged onto her website and found she was from New Jersey and recorded the album in Sheffield! She also sounded like a cross between Karen Carpenter and Chrissie Hynde, with some female Scott Walker touches - so it is appropriate that these great singers appear to be either influences of her or singers she admire.
Most of the songs are slow-paced, sensitive and downbeat, with a very 60's feel, which I found uplifting and very warm - an extremely pleasureable experience. Her voice is very easy on the ear and one which makes you want to listen closely, but when it needs to be extended/stretched, it sounds stronger, purer and even better. There are also some really nice, understated string arrangements and some lovely tight playing by her backing band.
The tracks are all great songs - there is nothing which is remotely worse than very good. For me, the best tracks are "People Used To Dream About The Future", "Kathleen", "Golden" - I could name all 11 selections.
This is as good a debut album as I have heard in a very long time and, like the other reviewers have said, I hope it is a runaway success. I would like to think there is more to "Eddy" than just one album worth of sheer class.
So what are you waiting for? Don't just my word for it - go and buy this today.
13 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 13 February 2013
A simply stunning aural soundscape....smooth and velvety that kind of reminds me of the subsequent Richard Hawley even though I dont have any of his records. Lush laconic intimate vocal delivery and at times conveying real heartbreak - over a corruscating soundtrack reminiscent of Karen Carpenter, Dusty Springfield and er Richard Hawley. A must have in the record collection.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 28 May 2012
IMHO this album is excellent in every respect. Great songwriting, heartbreak album. Great production, subtle letting the songs and the artist shine through. Reminiscent of Rumer in her voice. Standout is Golden right at the end of the album. Every track is spot on. Such a shame there hasn't been anything since this release that I can find.
on 26 September 2013
Got this for my mother as a gift for her birthday. She liked it very much. Not for me personally though!
on 4 September 2014
purchased this after hearing "Heartache" on the soundtrack of "For Lovers Only" play it all the time
on 8 February 2013
A great record. A sort of comforting melancholy, like sponge cake and custard. One day this'll be rediscovered - like Nick Drake or Judee Sill or something - so buy it now and be ahead of some sort of curve.
on 25 January 2013
This is an unusual album of mostly slow, reflective, and easy listening songs. Its an album that I keep coming back to, and although some might find it a bit downbeat, I find it engaging, unusual, and creative. I have heard nothing else like it, and it is quite special, and has stood the test of time with me, so is getting an upgrade to 5 stars. It seems to be the only album she has recorded, which is a pity.
on 29 September 2014
I've had this album on CD for several years and it's never far from a bit of a play so I was well aware that I liked it. I wasn't prepared, however for the moment today when I was driving along and my Walkman shuffled 'Golden' onto my stereo. It was a beautiful moment. I was so impressed by Eddy's vocal that I'd barely got past the first verse when I wanted to start it again to really listen to her. The delivery is simply wonderful, breathy and personal as she barely speaks the little word 'and' before entering the second verse. I would so love to relaunch her career by getting that track alone onto some TV programme.

There's plenty more to the album too, with 'Somebody Hurt You' and 'Did You See The Moon Tonight' being particularly affecting and poetic. I'm no big fan of vocalists for vocalists sake and run a mile from X Factor which seems to promote delivery over substance, so I even surprise myself that I love this record. And Richard Hawley provides some excellent, emotional guitar in all the right places too.

Maybe there aren't 11 classic tracks on here but there can be no denying that a good handful are heartbreakingly good. She's made me go all soft when I didn't even want too, just like Karen Carpenter or Dusty can despite their heavy cheese quota. Quick, where are my Elvis Costello albums? I need a bit of edge.
on 5 April 2007
A Girl Called Eddy is the stage name of Erin Moran - "just a nickname that stuck" she says - who was born in Neptune, New Jersey, USA. The tracks were mostly recorded in a wet and windy winter in Sheffield in the UK with the help of Richard Hawley and Colin Eliot as producers, and released through the independent label Anti Records.

Most of the tracks are mellow, cocooned in spare arrangements. The mood is generally downbeat and it's the painful ballads devoid of kitsch which stand out: "Tears all over town", "Did you see the moon tonight" and "Somebody Hurt You". The latter has a narrative about being broken by past relationships and shutting your emotions off ("you're lonely like only the broken can know"). The song "Kathleen" was apparently inspired by the death of her mother (the whole album is dedicated to the memory of her parents); "Girls can really tear you up inside" describes a father who fears contact with his long-lost, embittered daughter.

She's brilliant at conveying the breakdown of a relationship and negative feelings: "Take your records, leave me mine / you're the one who said that we lived it all on borrowed time" ("The Long Goodbye"); "I was a girl haunted / in the blue, undaunted / just swimming for the shore / wondering what the hurt is for" ("Golden"); "all the cynics / and the irony / won't save you when you're drowning / in love's sweet pool" ("Life thru the same lens").

Recommended!