1,015
Colour: Blue|Change

on 31 October 2008
We have three thermometers at home for our little boy, a Grobag egg, one built into the baby monitor and this Philips one. But it is this Philips one I like the best.

The Philips thermometer consists of a good, no-nonsense easily read LCD display showing the temperature. The display is covered with a little plastic circle - which looks like it could scratch - but ours hasn't despite some real rough handling. This is mounted into a good tough rubber flower -- not too soft and not too hard. We're happy to let our little boy chew away on it now that he's teeting. In fact he quite likes playing with it. It gets dropped and thrown but is still going strong and has not discoloured or anything.

It seems fully waterproof to test the bath temperature (and is handily marked 37C to remind you want the temperature should be). It is also free-standing for use as a room thermometer. We also threw it in our bags for holiday without worry and used it to check the pool temperature.

It seems pretty acurate, I trust it, and it changes its reading quickly.

On of the benefits of this one is that it is battery powered, so no having to move leads around like the Grobag one. It goes from room to room with us when necessary. Not sure how long the battery lasts, but some friends have had theirs for four years without having to replace it.

We've now had ours for a year, and all in all, I'd highly recommend it.

6 May 2014 UPDATE: Just a quick addition to say we've now had this thermometer for six years in constant use and it is still going strong with the original battery.
0Comment| 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 August 2011
The first time I gave my baby son a bath I attempted to use the traditional "elbow" technique to gauge the bath temperature. For those not in the know, supposedly you just stick your elbow in the water and when it feels "just right", it's OK for your baby.

Well maybe I've just got sensitive elbows, or don't really understand what on earth "just right" is supposed to mean, as first bath time went something like this:

1. Fill bath to what I think is correct temperature, stick in elbow. Ouch too hot!
2. Pour in some cold water. Stick in elbow. Ouch too hot!
3. Pour in some more cold water. Stick in elbow. Still too hot!
4. Pour in yet more cold water. Stick in elbow. Hmm, OK maybe.
5. Pour in a little more cold water to be on safe side. Lower baby into bath.
6. Baby screams head off and starts shivering. Conclusion, bath way too *cold*.

So, this being the 21st century, I figured there must be a better way to do this, and after browsing Amazon, I discover this nifty little thermometer. So I added it to my basket, selected first class delivery, and the thermometer arrived just in time for my son's second bath time.

This occasion bath time went like this:

1. Fill bath to what I think is the correct temperature.
2. Examine thermometer, slightly too cold! Pour in some hot water.
3. Examine thermometer, 37 degrees exactly. Lower baby into bath.
4. Baby visibly relaxes, splashes around, and generally seems to be happy.

Fast forward 10 months, the thermometer is still going strong, and bath time is one of my baby's favourite times of the day! Well worth having. Only four stars as the display can be a little slow to update to temperature changes, but still well worth the money, and an excellent purchase!
0Comment| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2016
When choosing a bath thermometer we decided to pay a little more to get a recognised brand. I was so pleased when this arrived, but on its third use in the bath water leaked into the screen and the screen is misty so it's gone straight back.
review image
on 25 August 2015
Very unhappy with this, used it for less than a month (=6 times in bath) and water is leaking inside the unit, see picture...
review image
on 15 April 2016
So in half a year we went through two of them. First one got condensation in within first two weeks but Amazon kindly replaced it with another one, which worked for exactly 5 months and now although it still reads the temperature, you cannot see the reading as it appears faded. It looks like condensation again, but not the same way (we see upper line of the reading - but bottom ones comes and goes). Very annoying. Was used with care and always dried after use, not sure why it keeps breaking. The bad news is that we are no longer eligible for a replacemnt.
on 19 February 2007
This bath thermometer really works well.

Our baby either loves or hates his bath, purely depending on whether the water temperature is right or not.

Unlike many other thermometers, this one digitally displays the temperature, rather than by means of a colour strip. The thermometer refreshes quickly, (about 1 sec) so is good for checking water temperature when mixing. The rubber casing means it is virtually unbreakable and can be left floating in the water whilst bathing.

The design allows the thermometer to sit upright on a shelf or table which means that it can also double as a room thermometer when not being used for bathing.
on 13 February 2010
Two problems really, the temp gauge is very slow to react to changes in temperature and when it is in the bath it is a bit top heavy so it tends to float upside down with the sensor sticking out of the water.
on 15 May 2016
Like many others (more than 100 unhappy customers), I was another one that's decided to pay a bit more because it's belongs to a solid brand and like the other: I'm frustrate for the exactly same reasons: Internal leak that's void the product after just few months. Ty, Philips !
on 6 April 2016
I would have given this zero stars if I could. Very poor product from avent and I have alot of avent things. I normally love their products and would recommend to anyone. This however I would advise people against. We bought it not so long ago. My daughter is only 12 weeks. We bought for use in the bedroom and bath times. To begin with I thought it was great but after just a few short weeks the display that tells you the temperature has completly gone. Unfortunate I didn't keep the packaging as i just assumed with it bei g avent who i have used with all 3 kids it would be fine. if I did I would be sending this back and demanding my money back
on 12 February 2015
I don't know how people figure out if the bath is okay with a stupid elbow test. I checked with this and I shower at a temperature of 41C , not okay for a baby! This just makes things a thousand times easier and makes bathtime really enjoyable. The first time I gave my newborn a bath she fell asleep! We have bought this as a gift for other new parents as we know how useful this really is.