Customer reviews

Hymns Of The 49th Parallel
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 January 2008
This is a lovely album, one which I have put off buying for years thanks to less than fulsome praise for it in the quality music monthlies at the time of its release. k.d. lang's career has been patchy and varied, moving from the torch and twang of her early country flavours and reaching a high point of chanteuse sophistication in Ingenue. This is her best offering since then; perfectly chosen songs with a Canadian songwriter theme that suit the effortless rise and fall of her voice. Close your eyes, or turn out the lights, and the music bathes you and relaxes you. Somewhere out there is a full Neil Young covers album waiting for k.d. lang to make it; meanwhile, the perfect choice of 'After The Goldrush' and 'Helpless' will have to do. Other standouts include versions of Joni Mitchell's 'A Case Of You', Jane Siberry's 'The Valley' and especially Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah'. The album breaks no new ground; but why should it, when the music and voice are this good. At the current prices quoted on Amazon, you have little to lose.
6 people found this helpful
on 9 January 2017
I must admit that on first listen, I had some reservations. But that was because I had heard the Max sessions on YouTube. This album is beautifully crafted and KD has surrounded herself with musicians whose backing is superb. Her renditions of Canada's great artists are true and beautiful. What I yearn for is a live DVD version, perhaps the Max sessions. KD's vocal artistry is her gift and is thus best enjoyed as a live performance. For those who live in countries where artists rarely come, a DVD is a gift from God.
on 5 June 2016
All killer, no filler - as they say. Each song stands on its own merits but as a collection - superb. Crafted in that k d lang style you can listen to this album and always find something new each time.
on 16 February 2018
Lovely music
on 27 December 2016
I've had it for years and bought this CD for a friend's birthday. He loves it!
on 27 March 2017
Wanted to buy this for ages. Not disappointed, she has a lovely voice and there are wonderful reinterprations
on 25 August 2014
Oh, I've recently started my collection of K.Ds discs; this one is pure magic, okay most are cover versions but they are not sung like this even by the original artists. Get it you cannot fail to like it!!!!!!!!!!!
on 27 November 2013
An utterly sublime album, that shows off KD Lang's talent and taste to the utmost. It's simple - if you've ever liked anything by KD Lang, or liked any of the originals of any of the songs on here, buy this album, I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed.
on 24 February 2017
I've had this on CD for a long while. A go to album of great songs, sung and arranged beautifully. On vinyl an absolute joy. An inner 4 page album size insert. Great value. Truly beautiful.
trevthetrains
on 7 May 2014
A friend recommended this singer to me and I listened to her on YouTube. I liked what I heard so went ahead a bought this CD. There was nothing to dislike about it and I would recommended it to my sister and friends