Customer reviews

Elvis At Sun
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 August 2012
I was born the day Jailhouse Rock was released in the UK, so I was bought up listening to Elvis, I went through my teenage years with Deep Purple and Elvis in my record collection. I have lots of Elvis records then CD's but this is one of my favourites, I'm disabled now so can't get abour alot, but when I got this I have a cd player that plays a stack so I just left it in cos I loved it so very much. The young Elvis was the very best, its even converted my husband into an Elvis fan, until he heard this he couldn't really see why I liked him so much, he said he was OK now he thinks he's great. WOW.
on 3 April 2017
great early performance of the King.
on 1 September 2017
again just brilliant
on 27 July 2017
Great!
on 7 August 2017
Really really special recordings of elvis' stuff. he didn't sound like that on any record after, not even the first ones on RCA. Must have for every elvis fan who knows his stuff!
on 27 March 2017
Absolutely brilliant, recordings that are rarely if ever played on air.
on 26 April 2017
Good early Elvis material
on 27 July 2016
Maybe I'm getting old
on 24 October 2010
I love this cd. If I close my eyes I'm transported back to the little Sun studio where history was being made. These early recordings sound uninhibited and experimental and the enjoyment of the musicians is evident. Bill's bass and Scotty's guitar playing create a unique backing sound. I love 'You're a Heartbreaker' and 'Mystery Train'. Some of the songs are 'in progress' others are as they were released. The booklet with the cd contains information about the songs and it was written by Ernst Jorgensen who knows a thing or two. Also there's a nice piece written by Sam Phillips' son Knox. There are some songs that I have heard referred to in the many books I have read but I hadn't come across them on any of the other cds I have e.g Harbor Lights, Milkcow Blues, Good Rockin' Tonight. Others might be on cds you already have e.g. Trying to get to you, I forgot to remember to forget (wonderful lyrics)and Baby Let's Play House. But for the unique moment in history that this cd encapsulates it's an essential addition to any Elvis collection.
66 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2017
Fools who like to crap on Elvis' legacy are a dime a dozen, and I find they've nearly never listened to these game changing recordings. There's even a strong argument for 'That's Alright' being the first rock 'n' roll record. I'm not quite convinced, but it hardly matters: it's still one of the most seminal songs of the 50s. Tracks of almost equal importance are Blue Moon, I Don't Care if the Sun Don't Shine, Milkcow Blues Boogie and Mystery Train. The rest are just Elvis doing what he does best: Reinterpreting blues tracks with upbeat rhythm guitar and a voice that would later prove to be one of the most versatile in rock 'n' roll. During these early sessions, it merely gave Frank Sinatra a run for his money.

Elvis stands alongside Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Bo Diddley as one of rock's greatest pioneers. And although Chuck will always be my favourite of that selection, the Sun Sessions make it clear why Elvis was called The King. If this wasn't him at his best, then it was certainly him at his most raw and innovative. Essential.