Customer reviews

The Man In The White Suit [DVD] [1951]
Format: DVD|Change

on 12 September 2017
The TWO star reviewer has this to say about “The Man in the White Suite”: “Unfortunately, this film is really showing its age by being barely amusing and with a rather feeble and pathetic story line.”

Pathetic? Hardly that, I would have thought. Amusing, as may be, but the massage/messages (for there is more than one message, surely?) from this film are ageless. Jobs, jobs, jobs and the machinery behind it all, namely, big business.

So take heart all those in the killing industry, from ground troops to fighter pilots, from bullet manufacturers to H-bombs, business needs the ball to be kept rolling and so conflict will rage on until the planet becomes uninhabitable.

Mission accomplished!

Addendum.

An officer interrogating Dr Maurice Wylie in a tent on the battlefield:

'They no longer look to us—they start searching around for this saviour who is supposed to appear. Christ, do they mean Christ? Tell me, what do you think?!'
The wind had got up and the walls of the tent began to flap noisily.
'I don't think we can hope for much from that quarter. As a race we have abandoned all the tenets given to us. The nuclear weapon was the last straw, I would have said.'
'But we haven't used it. Perhaps if we had.'
'It has been used, as a weapon . . .'
'Not as a deterrent, though. As a deterrent it is supposed to work. So, why haven't they used it?'
'Why ask me?'
'You are intelligence. Intelligence is the nerve structure for the deployment of military strategy. You have let us down.'
'I?'
'Not you alone, your organization. We thought you were above corruption. When all is corrupt, what place is there for the honest soldier? We have been duped. We are all fools, all of us.'

From: Synthesis—Microcosms of Tragedy—Part IV, The Transit Camp.
on 9 May 2017
I must admit for the first time ever I've been shocked at a poor transfer of an older movie. Having repurchased a few Ealing films and some other older movies on Blu-Ray I was a little surprised to find that The Man In The White Suit has the poorest picture quality out of them all, I was even more surprised to find that my 2004 DVD copy had a vastly superior transfer and had far fewer scratches on the film than the Blu-Ray version, the older DVD copy looked more restored than the more recent Blu-Ray edition, puzzling, to say the least. Sharpness wise the Blu-Ray picture is stronger but not by much, but to say this Blu-Ray edition has been digitally restored seems to me to be a little misleading, to say the least.
on 23 November 2012
brilliant picture quality,the before and after restoration feature on this disc shows what a great job was done on this.there are english subtitles and a short documentary about the film plus a trailer so not much in the way of extras but the film itself looks as good as Kind Hearts and Coronets.full marks studio canal and lets hope they continue to release more of the Ealing films to this high standard.of course the film and alec guinness' performance are very enjoyable but then when has alec ever been anything other than great?
on 12 June 2014
Poor Sir Alec was afraid he'd be remembered only for Star Wars.
Not with movies like this one!

An absolute joy of a film and an Ealing Studios Classic, in every sense of the word. Basically it's about a persistent scientist that has a lot of smarts but not a lot of money for research. So he finds odd jobs at factories and companies where he can "borrow" the equipment to further his research. And it's just a delight to root for this underdog while he's trying to create a super fabric. Does he? Well, watch this funny and thoughtful movie and see. A smart great comedy with a message. Guiness creates such a wonderful character and the humor and events are so funny and smart that you can watch this one again and again.

The print looks really good in Blu-ray, much better than I thought for such an old film. There's a few extras: featurette, stills gallery and trailer, but it's the film that really shines, digitally restored.

If you've never seen this, it's a must.
If you have, well, you know what I mean.
on 12 December 2011
A clasic old film, now available on DVD.
I purchased this old favourite to show my eighteen year old lad a bit of a taste of how old Lancashire looked before it all got flatend in the 70's and all the concreat monsters went up. He enjoyed the film and was a gasp that the street lamps where gas, but yet in the mill's the lab tec's had a electron microscope.
The recorded quality of the DVD is prity high when you take the age of the film into acount. GOOD STAY CLEAN FUN.
on 29 October 2009
This comedy caper from the Ealing Studios has a terrific cast running amok through a suitably wacky story - but, best of all, it is carried off with gusto and stage conviction, beautifully knit together by craftsman-director Alex MacKendrick. Alec Guinness fans will not be disappointed, and Joan Greenwood shows once more why 'tis more the pity she did not do a greater number of screen rolls. Thoroughly good fun, with some serious themes intermixed. Only the print is showing a little instability...
on 12 May 2016
I would have enjoyed this more back in the 1950's. Still watchable though.
on 13 May 2012
A real blast from the past ,-this one!
I enjoyed seeing this movie again, Sir Alec Guiness is wonderful as the "mad" scientist who comes up with a fabric that never stains, never wears out, and never wrinkles.A good addition to my collection of Ealing comedies.{Reworked into DVDs]
Great fun!
Maia Russell.
on 12 December 2004
A classic film from the days when Britain really knew how to do it.
The legendary Sir Alec Guiness excells in this classic, which you can watch time and time again and never tire of.
One of the finest films to come out of the Eailing Studios and a must for anyone interested in classic British cinema.
on 25 October 2013
To my surprise, the Blu-ray does not look as good as the Anchor Bay DVD from the states. They have remarkably similar detail, but the DVD (to my surprise) his better in that is has fewer overly-bright scenes, no wavering of the brightness, fewer scratches -- really a better picture.