Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 July 2004
B00025ETIW - Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge - My Chemical Romance
Geoff Rickly, frontman of Thursday, mixed My Chemical Romance's debut LP, and without wanting to sound overtly cynical, their almost instant recognition was perhaps attributable to Rickly. Nevertheless 'I Bought you my Bullets...' was a fine album in its own right: raw, angry and energetic.
Thursday's last release, 'War All the Time', exhibited many of the flaws endemic to the whole post-hardcore genre, there were certainly some excellent tracks such as 'Steps Ascending', 'Marches and Manoeuvres' and 'Asleep In the Chapel', but on the whole, the album was too-refined: a somewhat diluted version of the masterpiece that was 'Full Collapse'. However with their sophomore effort, My Chemical Romance have managed to avoid the trap that Thursday fell-into: the production on 'Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge' is brilliantly, and quite deliberately crude, the songs still brim with persistent energy and the lyrics are sinister and engaging.
It is to their great credit that My Chemical Romance manage to sound effervescent without sounding 'poppy' enough to alienate hardcore fans. There are as many screams as sing-along choruses, and they even manage some impressive axe-work too on 'Thank You For The Venom'. Sitting on the fence can be a dangerous tactic, but here it works nicely, the more accessible moments mitigate the cathartic riffs, the frenetic tempos and Gerard Way's semi-screaming.
Despite the seemingly mandatory inclusion of a slower song ('The Ghost Of You'), and a short interlude song, (imaginatively titled 'Interlude'), the album maintains a high quality throughout. 'I'm Not Okay (I Promise)' tears along at a crazy pace, which becomes almost metaphoric for the borderline-insane lyrical content. Like Thursday, the lyrics are a non-stop barrage of vivid poetic images (despite Way's protestation "Sister, I'm not much a poet, but a criminal"): 'Cemetery Drive' is at once morbid and compelling, 'You Know What They Do to Guys Like Us in Prison' conjures dark sketches of crime scenes and album opener 'Helena' is a tear-stained obituary. It's all very stylised and, for want of a better word, rather arty. But brushing aside album sleeves and words, My Chemical Romance have produced a blistering post-hardcore record.
'Three Cheers...' breathes life into what is rapidly becoming a tiresome and bromidic genre. My Chemical Romance's coarseness and dynamism will help to ensure they are not labelled as pretenders to the Emo throne, and at least on a vocal level they sound more like a good old fashioned hardcore-punk band rather than would-be bandwagoneers. Any fears of a bigger label pacifying their sound have clearly been allayed, and we can only hope that their future output is of comparable quality.
on 10 June 2004
I was pretty weary the first time I listened to this album as it quite a change from their first. They've definetly lightened up their dark sound. Dont worry though, die hard fans of the band will adjust to it very easily and those who didn't take to the first cd will probably fall in love with this one. Each track has been well crafted. "You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison" is definitely the standout track on the album and i'm sure others would agree. My personal favourite is "Helena" the opening track. Each song is as exciting and memorable as the last and will have you singing away for hours after. The album also gives a flavour of old school rock with the guitar solos and heavy distortion. The vocals Gerard Way spews out are most crisp and clear making it more enjoyable....this is definetly gonna be my favourite album of the year.
on 2 August 2007
I think this second offering from My chemical romance is their best album yet - better than their most recent offering "The black parade", which i also rated 4 stars. There are several really good/strong songs on here that could have all been released as singles in their own right. The songs are hard to classify but are probably best described as catchy pop-influenced emo with somke goth/punk/metal influences. Standout tracks include "I'm not okay", "you know what they do to guys like us in prison" and my personal favourite "give em hell kid." I would say that you shouldn't knock this band until you've tried them as they are surprisingly good with several very catchy songs on this album. In short, i would say this is a must for anyone who enjoys any of My chemical romance's other stuff and it is a good place for anyone new to the band to start with. Buy it now if you like band's such as aiden or funeral for a friend. Best served loud!
on 19 April 2005
While I have'nt heard their first album it seems that the general oppinion is that this one is better. I bought it on impulse two weeks ago after hearing "I'm not Okay" and then "Helena".
Since i recieved it, it's been the only CD i've listened to. I came to a dilemma when putting music on my MP3 player as i could only put 5 more tracks on, so when it came to finding my favourite tracks it was extremely difficult. Almost all of them are absolutely fabulous tracks. From the fast paced "Thanks for the Venom" to the dark slower lyrics of "Cemetery Dead" and "The Ghost of You" to the clever more up-beat songs like "You know what they do to guys like us in prison".
They're all excellent songs, with enough diversity to keep any fan of modern rock music happy for a long time. I suggest you buy this album if you liked their two releases.
on 10 May 2016
Another great album from MCR. I see this as a precursor album to their Black Parade offering and thankfully worlds away mostly from their forgettable 'I bought you bullets...' album. The vocals are much tighter, more melodic and better executed than the bullets album. Some brilliants such as Helena, to the end and I'm not okay and in fact nearly all of the tracks are great rock songs. The weakest tune for me is give 'em hell, kid but it's still not a bad song. This is another one of those albums I often pull out for another listen.
on 1 January 2016
Fantastic. I hadn't been a fan of MCR long so I had to go out and buy all their albums starting with this classic. Deep down it is about loss Gerard has said that himself but its just amazing. Helena obviously is for Gerard and Mikey's grandmother its such a beautiful song for her, and I'm Not Okay (I Promise) being an absolute classic of theirs. Its just pure raw and heavy MCR. The aesthetic for Revenge era was amazing and how awesome is Gerard's own drawing on the front cover?!?!
on 25 June 2006
I bought this the day it came out and i listened to it everyday since i have the whole album on my ipod, computer and my phone. When i first heard I'm Not Okay (I Promise) i had just bought their first album that had only just been released for mass sales. The first time i listened to Three Cheers... I only loved a few songs but listening to it a second time i found that every song was awesome. Stand out songs are "Thank You For The Venom" "The Ghost Of You" "You Know What They Do To Guys In Prison" "Cemetary Drive" and "To The End". Alot of people dismiss MCR as a whiny emo band but listening to the album it appeals to everyone who likes any type of rock, if anyone says they don't like MCR play the album and they will fall in love with them.

"The Life And Death Of My Chemical Romance" Their 3rd Studio album will Be Out In Autumn
on 15 October 2006
In certain crowds, you're not supposed to like bands like My Chemical Romance, because you're supposed to despise anything that gets air time on MTV. If you're that type of person, stay away from this album. If you can appreciate music for what it is and not worry so much about what's politically correct to listen to, you may really like this album. The songs are catchy, the lead singer does a good job and the production is good overall.

If you've heard any of the singles you'll know whether you'll like the rest of the album as well. If you don't like the singles, don't buy the album. If you like the singles, the album is full of equally good songs.
on 10 June 2004
on 28 March 2008
This is the first My Chemical Romance album I ever bought and I fell in love with them. Not only does it have an awesome cover design Gerard Way has such an infectious and catchy voice and the music and lyrics are incredible. Altogether the perfect recepie for an album.
The songs are all marvelous but the songs I recommend the most would be Helena (track 1), To The End (track 3), I'm Not Okay (I Promise) (track 5), The Ghost of You (track 6) and Thank You For The Venom (track 9). Most people label My Chemical Romance as being a whinny, miserable emo band but that's just not true just listen to Give 'em Hell Kid (track 2) and you'll see what I mean. An awesome album!!