Top positive review
17 people found this helpful
Best kit for overall price and good accuracy. Few caveats but still highly recommend.
on 29 May 2017
The only freshwater master kit i will use. Test strips i never used due to there poor accuracy. There are some other brands like Seachem for example that do great water testing products but much more expensive to. If you want good accuracy for a reasonable price that will last a reasonably long time then overall value and quality is definitely given to the API Freshwater Master Kit.
You can perform the following tests with this kit:
- pH - low range
- pH - high range
Comes with easy to follow instructions and colour chart. The most annoying are the test tubes, i always end up breaking them and having to buy spares, i also hate they are push caps and not screw on as you have to keep your thumb on top of the cap when shaking as it tends to leak out otherwise, i also wish the case layout was better as well as it's a bit annoying and fiddly specially the position of the test tubes. I also purchased the API liquid Kh and Gh kit to make it a true master test kit. I think they should be included as standard as this is called a master test kit after all.
Make sure you shake the plastic liquid bottles very well before using, i shake longer than the instructions state to ensure it's mixed well, specially the nitrate bottle as it's very thick formula and prone to giving inaccurate readings simply because the bottle was not shaked enough before using, so take note shake and shake again.
I recommend this kit for any fish keeper whether you are newbie or advanced user, this kit is suitable for most peoples needs. I tend to only test frequently when cycling a tank and for approx 6 months after cycling complete whilst beneficial bacteria still colonizes in the filter, i don't test often from then on as i find observing the tank and fish can give you good indicators of problems, but nonetheless still a great kit to have to hand for as and when needed.
Check readings in natural daylight if possible as can sometimes be hard to judge colour of tested water against colour chart.
Best kit for overall price accuracy and price. Highly recommend.
- Check expiry date is well in to the future on case when it arrives as they last ages.
- I find placing the colour chart up against a window with natural daylight (but not direct sunlight) and then placing the tube by the side of the test i'm testing enables me personally to take a better reading.
- Another way some people find easier is to place the colour chart down flat on a surface in a room with natural daylight, then remove cap from test tube and then place the testing tube on top of the colour chart and test they are testing for, then look straight down the test tube and compare colour.
- Some people complain of the colour in the test tube changing over time and not sure which reading was correct, this will happen hence why it's important to follow instructions. If for example you are told to compare the test tube with colour chart after 5 minutes, then ensure you compare after 5 minutes and not for example 10 minutes, as overtime the colour will continue to change and people then get confused which is the correct reading.
- Shake the Nitrate bottles as it's very thick formula and prone to giving people false readings, read the instructions very carefully, a number of people do the Nitrate test wrong and get inconsistent inaccurate readings. You must shake this bottle excessively. I always shake the bottles longer than the instructions state to ensure they've been shaken enough, if you don't shake them enough you can end up with inaccurate false readings.