Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£13.95+ £1.26 shipping

on 2 February 2001
Paul Simon matures wonderfully, in this, his second solo album. Moving on from the majestic heights of Simon & Garfunkel, he carves out his own niche amongst pop's greatest artists. "There Goes Ryhmin' Simon" demonstrates vividly that he is obviously comfortable with a variety of sounds. From the upbeat black humour of "Kodachrome" through the insecurities and harmonies of the beautiful "American Tune" and onwards to the touching "St Judy's Comet", Simon churns out hit after wonderful hit. By the time "Loves Me Like A Rock" completes the journey with a crashing crescendo, we are left in no doubt that Simon has earned his solo place in pop's hall of fame.
on 3 March 2012
I bought this cd after months of searching for an album by Paul Simon called "Kodakchrome". That album doesn't exist -but the song does-on "There Goes Rhymin' Simon".

I was instantly transported by to the age of 13 when my pal bought this LP (as it was in those days)and played it to a few of us. Forty years later, the songs sound as good as ever, perhaps better, because we have lived lives and had experiences,that Paul Simon sings about, but back in the day, we had yet to know for ourselves. A great mix of songs that can still hold their own today. It's worth buying to listen to some beautiful lyrics and wonder at amazing chord changes that make the music cut into your heart and soul.Experiencing Paul Simon is definately still brilliant after all these years.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 2 January 2013
I think Paul Simon is a genius. I`ve often taken him for granted - after all, he`s been around longer than most, those early records with Garfunkel were nearly fifty years ago, and he hasn`t been as prolific as most of his peers. Perhaps that`s the secret of his success, that he hones his songs to perfection then lets us hear them and marvel.
I`ve been less than impressed by only one of his solo albums - his last but one, Surprise, which was a rather ill-conceived production with some good songs. It`s been a pleasure to rediscover his older albums on their gleaming remasters, in particular Still Crazy and this near-faultless gem from 1973.
Several of these songs were hits, and are so well known now, but I`d forgotten about Tenderness, Something So Right, One Man`s Ceiling, St Judy`s Comet and One Man`s Ceiling, all wonderful songs.
Things kick off with the uptempo, quite rocky Kodachrome, catchy as anything. Then comes the glorious Tenderness, one of those Simon songs you don`t want to end.
Take Me To The Mardi Gras is just great, with its delirious falsetto vocal by Rev Claude Jeter. It`s probably a good thing you can`t hear me singing along with the good Reverend.
Something So Right is lovely, one of Simon`s gentle love songs. He does both sadness and joy equally well.
One Man`s Ceiling...is an oddity, a mid-tempo number with a fascinatingly haunting descending piano riff, played by Barry Beckett. It grows on you.
A highlight, and one of Simon`s truly great songs (reminding one glancingly of his earlier S&G masterpiece America) is American Tune - unaccountably omitted from the otherwise comprehensive compilation of a few years back. This longish track is a key Simon song, beautifully arranged by Del Newman. I remember PS singing an impromptu acoustic version on Parkinson years ago, sitting opposite the host. It was mesmerising. It works just as well without the strings.
Was A Sunny Day is Simon in Jamaican mode, a simple song that needs no great claims to be made for it. Nice, though.
Learn How To Fall, St Judy`s Comet, and the joyous Loves Me Like A Rock round off this marvellous, lovable album in fine style. There are a few extra tracks in the shape of demos - and an excellent `work-in-progress` called Let Me Live In Your City, which didn`t make it onto the original release.
Paul Simon has always had soul, and a sophisticated sense of rhythm and musical subtlety. He`s a quietly effective singer of some of the most memorable songs of my lifetime.
Some of them are here. There they go...
on 19 December 2006
"There Goes...", despite the whimsical title, is an impressive collection of songs, at times stunning, at other times infectious and at other times moving.

On "American Tune" we have a contender for not only one of Paul Simon's best ever songs, but also a contender for surely the top 50 best songs written in the last 40 years. A chorale-like stateliness underpins a moving, thoughtful vocal that is a profound state of the nation address for its time.

"Something So Right" is a tender love song done with elegance and intelligence. "Loves Me Like A Rock" is infectious and "Take Me To The Mardi Gras" is authentic and charming.

"Tenderness" sounds like something Dion and the Belmonts might have pulled off.

An over-looked classic.
on 15 June 2012
This is my favourite Paul Simon album!

The songs are musically really inventive and the lyrics are humorous and insightful. Many of the songs are very upbeat, starting with the fast-paced "Kodachrome". I really like "One Man's Ceiling is Another Man's Floor" (for the song, and for the philosophical message). "St. Judy's Comet" is so gentle it will have you drifting to sleep at the end of the day. The bonus tracks are really good. Plus, the CD is packaged like a vinyl record, which is really cool!

If you've heard any of these songs before and liked them, you will not be disappointed with the rest of this album.
on 24 July 2000
I remember hearing this album when I was about seven and I've loved it ever since. My brother had a tape version of it and we played it to death. When I found you could get it on CD I bought it immediately and an extra one for my brother so he wouldn't borrow mine!
What is it about this CD that is so appealing? For me it is the realisation that Simon's songs are so simple but at the same tell a story about life - wherever you are in the world our lives are very much the same. We all have pride about our country, we love the people who are in our lives and we want to record the moments of our lives that matter. This CD is a retrospect of Simon's early life. "Kodachrome", "American Tune" and "Love me Like a Rock" are powerful songs and based on personal experience. They may, perhaps, have a little something for everyone and maybe the people who buy this album can relate to some of the stories. I know that I can. Thank you Paul. Keep it up.
on 6 October 2004
This album is heart warming and absolutely crammed full of melodic, interesting, uplifting and above all sublime SUBLIME songs. From the opener Kodachrome which is so catchy it's not even FUNNY (and whick works so well incidentallly with Garfunkel on Concert In Central Park), to the understated but very EMOTIONAL Tenderness, to the ecsquisite Mardi Gras which is not only incredibly ATMOSPHERIC but also is such a JOY to listen to, EVERY TIME...to the Another's Man Ceiling with its WACKY lyrics and again superlative melody...to American Tune, possibly on a par with Bridge Over TW as the all time GREATEST Paul Simon ballad, and Del Newman's strings are PERFECT, to Was A Sunny Day, GREAT DRIVING SONG when the sun is shining....to Learn How To Fall, thought-provoking lyrics and a great FEEL to it, St Judy's Comet is sublime and that lyric "if I can't sing my boy to sleep it makes yer famous Daddy look so dumb" so HONEST and....GREAT!!! Loves Me Like A Rock is possibly the HAPPIEST song EVER......and in case you're wondering... Something So Right is also excellent (MUCH better than its Work In Progress companion here!!)...it says something about an album if a song as good as Something So Right is my least favourite on the album!!!! Forget Compilations, downplay later achievements such as Graceland and Rhythm Of the Saints..IMPRESSIVE as they are....not to mention One Trick Pony and the mostly brilliant Hearts And Bones, THIS IS THE ALBUM which is the most consistently BRILLIANT and at the end of the day, together with its predecessor "Paul Simon" (1972), which is the album most played by me!!! Hard to find an album as enjoyable and rewarding as this....ANYWHERE!!!! The demo versions are interesting....but the real joy is in the original album....Paul Simon and his songwriting here are simply to MARVEL AT.....If you don't believe me, then I GIVE UP!!!! :-)
on 14 October 2000
This may not technically be one of Paul Simon's best albums, but for sheer enjoyment and hummable tunes that make you feel better than a child at Christmas, this has to be one of the best albums ever written...along with Eva Cassidy's Songbird.
on 8 August 2015
My original copy of this album lies mouldering in the loft with all my other Vinyl. Bought this because I say Paul Simon on BBC4. I had forgotten what a fantastic Album this really is, and included on the CD are a couple of tracks not on the Album.
on 13 May 2015
I can't decide which is my favourite Paul Simon solo album - this one or its follow-up. STILL CRAZY AFTER ALL THESE YEARS is superb, and probably has the edge in production and arrangement, but the quality of the songs is slightly less even than on this, which to my mind doesn't have a single non-brilliant track. While I applaud his later forays into building more thematic albums with world music influences, I find myself coming back with delight to this exquisite suite of tender, beautifully crafted songs, any one of which would have made a worthy single (and I gather quite a few of them did). 'Something So Right', for example, was plaintive in his collaboration with Annie Lennox, but his own original is much more richly textured, tightly structured and has that subtlety of arrangement that adroitly captures the ambivalence of the lyrics; and anyone who can follow the heartfelt, Bach-inspired 'American Tune' with the joyfully innocent 'Was A Sunny Day' - not to mention his paternal lullaby 'St Judy's Comet' - must be doing something SO right it makes you sick! No need to mention the hit singles, except to say "What's not to like?". I declare, anybody who thinks this album is anything but a delight needs their ears examining, and possibly their head as well. Sublimin' rhymin'!