Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 July 2004
In a world were our ear drums are assaulted on a daily basis by the likes of Will Young, Blue, Westlife and other junk that's fallen of the pop conveyour belt it's always good to know good music is out there. I know it is, i hardly own a "typical" chart CD, but it's nice to find NEW good music.
I came across these guys somewhat retardedly. Being an Our Lady PEace fan i was checking out the site, Raine MAider is lending his vocals to a music project by Daniel Victor entitled "Neverending White Lights", another band lending vocals was Nick Hexum, lead singer of 311. Well, if it's good enough for OLP then other artist must also be good so lets find 311.
I must say i was shocked to find this band had a greatest hits album and that i had been deprived of them for the last 11 years of their careers, but this is a blessing in disguise. This is the first CD i have bought and it is brilliant. It's a sound like i've never heard before, combining rock, reggae, funk, rap EVERYTHING. A highly talented band, that whilst blending many styles into one still find remarkable sound variation, even on released hit singles that comprise this album. They are also aided by having 2 vocalist, both highly talented in their syle, Hexum is a great stright out singer, whilst Martinez add rap to parts of the songs to give an all new twist.
It's a hard album to describe but it's well worth a listen for anybody who wants to try something different, or just straight out likes good music. There is something for everyone here. PErsonal favourites of mine are "Amber" "Come Original" "I'll Be Here A While" "Love Song" - which recnetly featured on the 50 First Dates Soundtrack and the unreleased "Final Straw" that is about as Reggae as any song i've heard.
It's a fun CD, it's a intelligent CD and it will improve anybodys music collection. It really is a must have, because there is nothing out there like it. I went out on a wing to get this Cd as i do so often, and once agian it has paid of handsomely. At the end of the day, with 17 very different tracks, you WILL find something for your own tastes, if for some crazy reason u don't like every song.
I certainly will be purchasing more CD's by 311 and i strongly recommend that if you have yet to discover them you become enlightened very quicky.
on 31 October 2009
I came across this CD completely by accident on amazon, I listened to the sample tracks and looking back now, took a leap of faith in buying it. I was so happy to hear it when it first arrived! Personally I think its best as driving music. I would (and have) described this band/ cd as Hed PE vs. reggae ska. Might sound a really odd mix but with tracks like 'Amber' it works so well its great. There are no tracks I would take off or skip so how can I complain?! If i could afford all their CDs after hearing this greatest hits CD I def would but I can't so this was the logical choice for me.
on 6 August 2014
Not bad savice it was fare