on 26 September 2000
The Lady Penelope episode was a bit involved for my 4-year-old, too much talking and not enough action. The Pit of Peril was pure action and tension but a bit gruesome in parts, "actors" getting burned, again a bit much for a 4-year-old. Over all a great couple of episodes but more suited to slightly older kids.
on 11 December 2000
Thunderbirds Box Set - Pod 2 is the continuing saga of the cute (if slightly wooden) Tracy brothers in their quest to save trapped civilians from almost certain death. The box set not only features the now infamous Thunderbird machines as well as the always highly entertaining characters like Parker, Brains and Lady Penelope, but also has intriguing little sub plots that continue through all the episodes, like the 'will they, won't they' romance between Alan Tracy and Tin Tin. This box set continues the high standard of visual animated effects, almost cringingly funny scripts, dramatic music and great acting(!!!) that made the first set so widely appealing to all ages, and is a definite must for all good video collections.
on 8 October 2000
the first episode is 'trapped in the sky' and features the new atomic powered aircraft 'fireflash'. the hood has placed a bomb in the landing gear of the aircraft preventing it from landing. only the tracy brothers can save the day! my favourite scenes are when jeff says @the fireflash, gee thats a great aircraft' and the next scene shows the fireflash skimming across the trees over the runway threshhold. the sound is fantastic and the digital remastering makes it all look so real! 10/10
on 9 November 2012
It seems that any Thunderbirds review appears for all Thunderbirds products, which can be more than somewhat confusing! This review relates specifically to Thunderbirds: Collection Part 2 (Vols 5-8) [DVD] [1965] with the picture of Brains, Lady Penelope and Parker. The "product description" is accurate - this is the last 16 episodes. At the price I paid it is fantastic value.
on 7 November 2005
I used to watch these on TV when I was small and now I watch them on DVD with my own 3 year old son - OK, he's probably a bit young but he absolutly loves the Thunderbirds and the new Movie is no comparison to the original puppets. We watch these episodes together most evenings and it's a real treat for both of us !
on 29 December 2000
...Stars of these episodes are Lady P and Parker ("So 'e's one of hus, then Milady?" "Yes, Parker, he's one of us"). The Anderbad Express is Edmund's favourite piece of hardware, despite its shaky progress along the monorail track (and the fact it takes a day and a night to get from Paris to the Alps). "Terror in New York City" is rather less good (did no one think to check for underground rivers *before* moving the Empire State Building? The underwater swimming sequences are less than convincing. 3 stars for this epi, 5 for "Perils".
on 25 September 2000
I am so glad that Thunderbirds has been released on video. The way the sound has been digtally remastered is brillant. The scene i like is when the control tower has to take a shot of fireflash's landing gear and it comes past the control tower. The sound when that scene came on was briliant but my favourie scene in 'Trapped in the sky' is when they use the three elevator cars help to land Fireflash. That is such a nailbiter of a scene and the music fits the scene. Pit of Peril was a good episode but Trapped in the sky is better. Welcome back guys! I'm glad you're back.
on 24 May 2012
My four-year-old son loves Thunderbirds... he adores the technical detail and the complex plots, and these stories really appeal to him. Conversely, I find them really funny! My son did ask, "Why has everyone got the same colour skin?" - good question.
on 7 March 2013
Bought for my five year old grandson . We were expecting the 'Attack of the Alligators' as seen on tv years ago This was shown on the cover. When we started to play the video it turned out to be a much more recent film which was not suitable for our grandson and very disappointing for us as it was always our favourite episode. We returned it.
on 8 February 2003
Don't get me wrong.....my son and I love Thunderbirds - but this was very disappointing......It was bought initially on the assumption that an episode called 'Ocean Peril' (or whatever) might feature the subaquatic Thunderbird Four (my son's fave).
The aforementioned episode seems very tired. Nothing much happens, at least on screen, for the first half. The obvious challenges of depicting a 'supermarionated' typhoon are circumnavigated by the cunning ploy of not actually showing it at all. The Tracey Boys indulge us with those techno-fetishistic launch sequences - only to be shown, mere minutes later on the return flight from said disaster.
This is not the only wasted opportunity. The distressed vehicle du jour is a remarkably unfuturistic ocean tanker. After much protracted (and rather stilted) exposition concerning why the thing is due to blow up any minute (much of which is lost on a three year old patiently waiting for TB4 to turn up) the rescue itself takes place - by, get this, hovering over the ship and lowering a ladder! Sorry to give away the plot, but to be frank, there ain't much of an ending to spoil ....and no TB4 in sight!
Things improve a bit in episode 20 - a curiously structured 'flashback' episode. It features some pretty explosive car racing scenes, but I can't help thinking the cars are a bit pedestrian (if it's possible for a car to be pedestrian). Most of the thought and imagination seems to have been expended on the car parking facilities, but we do get probably the most hilariously bizarre gadget ever employed to remove the elderly from imminently exploding bridges.
We also see the rarely deployed TB1 front machine gun - a weapon that requires the whole ship to be re-oriented in order to fire it - surely an oversight on Brains' part ?
Sorry to be so negative - but if you only buy one Thunderbirds' video, why not get episode one, where they land the Fireflash ? - gripping stuff!