Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£12.99+ £1.26 shipping

on 2 June 2004
This is Mott the Hoople Live but more than twice as much of it as there was on the previously available edition. It a completely fine CD set, nice packaging - as if this sort of thing really matters. What matters is the noise it makes and there's not much wrong with this. Good sound ( although you must remember that it's a 30 year old live recording - not a Pink Floyd, 18 months in the studio job). It's nice and long although a Mott gig is never long enough. It does what it says on the box, and it's cheap so buy it, alright.
on 26 July 2004
As the liner notes say, many Mott fans regard Live as their best album. This new version is expanded from the original 8 tracks and is even better. Personally I prefer the Broadway disc as it has stuff from the Hoople on it (Golden Age & Marionette) although Born Late 58 is no better than you might expect. Minor quibbles are that there is quite a bit of duplication across the discs (Memphis, Dude, Roll Away the stone, Violence etc) and the cover is a very poor copy of the original lp cover. That aside the booklet and article by Brian May are excellent.
on 20 June 2004
This re-issue should be a benchmark. It is exactly how a re-issue should be done, with excellent packaging, intelligent liner notes and best of all, superbly remastered sound. Not every song from the two concerts is included and the liner notes explain why this is so, but this is as good as it's going to get. Ariel Bender's guitar shines throughout and this release may allow a reassessment of his awesome talent as he was always standing in Mick Raplhs' shadow during his brief stint with the band. Well done Columbia, we now need the same standard of makeover for "Mott" and Ian Hunter's first solo album.
on 22 July 2004
I first bought this album when I was 11 years old and played it to death.
I have continued to play it regularly in the following 30 years and could not wait for the release of this edition.
It lives up to all expectations, and retains it's place as one of the best live albums ever.
I have to say I much prefer the Hammersmith material, as their seems to be a much more upbeat feel to the band.
I wouldn't normally recommend a live album as a starting point to discover a band, but with Mott The Hoople, this is their ultimate moment.
Buy without hesitation.
on 13 July 2004
this stunning re-issue restoring the live sets as they should have been released on vinyl back in 1974 brought back all the glorious memories of one of the greatest live bands EVER! If you were ever lucky enough to see them or want to know what your Dads were rocking out to back then this is a 'must-buy'. The packaging is top class, the booklet informative with great pics and best of all the sound is incredible! CBS/Columbia/Sony had/have the greatest live acts..Mott the Hoople, the Clash and Bruce Springsteen, they should be shouting from the rooftops about this important, amazing live collection...now did anyone film the shows?!?
on 13 June 2004
Do not confuse this album with the 1974 version. This is a much expanded version of what the original was not. Many tracks are restored to the original play list. The result is a brilliant live album from Mott in their prime. Buy this album!
on 11 January 2014
As I get older it seems that more and more I am revisiting bands I was into in my youth. A while back it was Roxy music, last Christmas it was Led Zepplin and this year Mott the Hoople. My interest in them was stirred by the excellent BBC 4 documentary (which I believe is available on DVD) and the much repeated comment from various commentators on that program that Mott were an incredible band live. As I still owned 'The Brain Capers' which I believe much was pretty much recorded live in the studio with a few extra overdubs I thought it might be worth checking out this expanded CD and what a good choice it turned out to be. It captures the band in fine form literally exploding into 'The golden age of rock 'n' roll' on the first disc from the Broadway show. I did in fact have quite a few Mott LPs at one time or other, but many tracks seem to come across stronger live, particularly 'Marionette' and 'Sweet Jane' which come across with a real edge to them. There are also some lesser-known tracks like 'Rest in peace' which along with 'Hymn for the Dudes' provides some light and shad to the CD. Strangely enough although Aerial Bender (Luther Grosvenor to his friends and family) was supposed to be an incredible showman live I do find some of his lead work rather reliant on tricks rather than having a particularly strong style of its own. But it is still pretty good, so this is a minor quibble. That said, the overall sound is great for recording which is about 40 years old and if I could give it an extra half star I certainly would.
on 13 August 2015
As a financially impoverished 16 year old I never managed to connect with the albums and concerts of Mott the Hoople prior to the departure of Ian Hunter. Suddenly, almost 40 years later, I have finally discovered what all the fuss was about.
This is a cracking live album, combining raw power and great sensitivity. It is flawless in places and charmingly rough elsewhere.
Live albums were often unpredictable but in this, the expanded deluxe version, you feel the occasion - and a band at the peak of their powers.
Money well spent ? Definitely !
on 12 April 2016
Initially like climbing into a bath of cold custard, the unfamiliar becomes familiar and before you know it you're kneeling at the temple of one of the greatest rock live albums of all time.
I've listened to this album since the '70's - the extra tracks made the totally familiar utterly alien, and then, then, the magic of a great band starts to work and before I knew it I was there. Some live albums sound distant and cut-off - this isn't - it's visceral and raw, mistakes and all, and there's Buffin and Overend holding the chaos together.
It's totally wonderful, no matter which side, though I have to say, Hammersmith . . . blimey . . why this was never a double live, I'll never know. Truly fantastic.
I think you have to be a MTH fan to truly appreciate it, but even to the curious listener, you can tell this is a band on fire. You'd never get it today - everything is too perfect. This is raw rock n' roll at its very best.
on 1 December 2013
I had bought the album and loved it... Then I bought it on cd and bloody loved it!!! Can you imagine how I felt when I listen to this one... No you can't. Still haven't recovered from it. Timeless gem! Buy it now!