Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 April 2017
10 out 10
on 15 February 2003
This is one of my all time favourite albums. Barb has the voice of an Angel. When she sings a song she always puts her heart and soul into it. You can tell by listening to this album that she has spent hours listening to Bob Dylan's music trying to find songs she can add something to. Her own interpretations bring a whole new meaning to the music. Her fresh from the root approach will bring in a new generation to appreciate this music. After running out and buying everything I could with Barbs voice on it I was still hungry for more. I found she was even more impressive live and suggest you look out for her next time she is in your area. Her style is a mix of Diva, Chanson, Folk and Jazz with a touch of her own originality that works perfectly with her voice. If you buy this record beware you will be hooked and have to buy more. I can't wait for her next project. Please, please, please bring out a live album to keep us going Barb.
on 19 January 2006
This knocked me out, and I just keep listening to it. Barb Jungr has trawled through the Dylan opus and sings the songs that reached out and grabbed her. And you can tell - she's covered songs only where she can make them fresh, shed new light on them (Things Have Changed in tango form, Don't Think Twice as love-sick lament rather than a snide dig). The arrangements are great, the musicianship sharp and clear, and Barb Jungr has a lovely voice. It's a shock to hear these songs not in Bob's gravelly growl but in Barb's full-blown chanteuse style - but it also proves what great songs they are that they take to it as though to the manner born. Utterly true to the songs and utterly new.
on 13 February 2003
One of Douglas Adam's novels describes a character as having all the Dylan albums up to Blood On The Tracks. Me too, approximately. I think it was the vanishing voice. Now I'm back listening attentively to the man, scratchy voice and all, thanks to Barb Jungr's new CD.
Her previous CD, Chanson: The Space In Between, displayed the strengths that had The Times call her the "Britain's finest interpreter of grown-up cabaret". (I believe both her last two CDs made the "Jazz Album of the Year" lists of a national UK newspaper.) The star pieces of her live performances are story numbers like Weill's "Surabaya-Johnny" or "Bilbao Song" where she sets up the audience with the drama, then sings into the space that she's created, and finishes in a luxuriant pre-applause silence other performers must envy. On the CD, the songs stand alone, but are delivered with the same drama, warmth, heart and guts that distinguish her live performances. The album contains classic covers of Brel, Weill and others; some in translations she commissioned herself. I had never heard Brel's "Ne Me Quitte Pas" in English with anything like the impact of the original until I heard the corrosive yearning of Jungr with Des de Moor's translation in hand.
All of which makes Dylan an unexpected next move. But it has been foreshadowed by her performances [and earlier recording?] of Dylan's "Blind Willie McTell", a haunting show stopper live. An interview with Jungr posted on a jazz web site suggested that Dylan is trying in his later music to take blues back to the sparer verbal style of its origins, in contrast to the richness of his early lyrics.
Jungr brings to that all the warmth and heart of "Chanson", enlarging and deepening the vocal texture. Unsurprisingly, lyrical songs like "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" and "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" blossom with this treatment. Expressive numbers like "I Want You" and "Forever Young" open up to passion. It's Dylan, Jim, but not as we know it. Bigger, warmer.
Bigger surprises await in the spare, bleak "Not Dark Yet" and "Sugar Baby". These are songs for which Dylan's scratchy, eroded voice had seemed a perfect fit. Without retreating an inch from the author's dark visions, Jungr's warm and intelligent interpretation, and the tight ensemble arrangements, open up the songs like hot water splashed in a shot of malt. (The use of strings in the arrangements is particularly good.)
If you want to judge the album with just ONE song, hear "Things Have Changed". But, actually, listen to the whole thing. Lots. I do.
on 11 February 2003
As an author, I have always loved Dylan's lyrics. I have never been particularly fond of Bob's voice though. And many artists have 'borrowed' Bob's songs and sang their own interpretations. Until this day, I wasn't actually keen on those too, so I thought: I will stick to the Master himself. Until I heard about this CD. I knew the very talented Barb Jungr from her brilliant 'Chanson' CD. A tough act to follow! So I thought to myself: why not give it a try? I did. And what a great performer Barb Jungr is! She sings these songs as if they were her own. The thing is: I will never get tired of this CD. Every time I listen to it, I discover something new. There's so much to discover on this CD. Me, I am waiting for Barb Jungr's next CD. Heartily Recommended!
on 22 February 2003
This is one of my all time favourite albums. Barb has the voice of an Angel. When she sings a song she always puts her heart and soul into it. You can tell by listening to this album that she has spent hours listening to Bob Dylan's music trying to find songs she can add something to. Her own interpretations bring a whole new meaning to the music. Her fresh from the root approach will bring in a new generation to appreciate this music. After running out and buying everything I could with Barbs voice on it I was still hungry for more. I found she was even more impressive live and suggest you look out for her next time she is in your area. Her style is a mix of Diva, Chanson, Folk and Jazz with a touch of her own originality that works perfectly with her voice. If you buy this record beware you will be hooked and have to buy more. I can't wait for her next project. Please bring out a live album to keep us going Barb.
on 13 February 2003
Recently I went to a gig of Barb Jungr. I had heard about the lady, but never actually had the chance of seeing her 'live' on stage. Curiosity got the better of me, and I went to see this famous British chansonnier. I have never been so drawn into the performance than that particular evening. Barb looked great, the songs by Bob Dylan were exquisitely sung. It seemed like they belonged to Barb, not to Dylan. What this lady does is marvellous! I had the chance of meeting her after her performance, and I was actually very surprised that she was such a kind person. All the more reason to buy the CD! A whole CD of Bob Dylan covers. Could a person ask for more? Barb Jungr smoothly moves from song to song and it gets to you. I have never known anyone who could capture the essence of the songs like Barb does. I felt drawn into the music, into the performance, and it was as though I was being catapulted back to that gorgeous, unforgettable evening. Barb excells in all these songs. I am converted. Being a muscician myself, I think that Barb has done a great job. Admit it, it's not easy to pick 15 songs by Bob Dylan, record them, and make people like them. Barb Jungr succeeds in doing this, and that in itself is a marvellous achievement. Maybe Dylan himself should have a listen to this. Bet he buys the CD on the spot! Mr. Dylan, if you are reading this, fork out your dollars and buy this CD! You won't regret it! I might be a muscician, but Barb is a magician! A wonderful CD that deserves much more than 5 stars, but 5 stars was all I could give it. There simply are not enough stars in the whole Universe! One of them shines brightly though! It's a star named Barb Jungr!
on 26 January 2007
There are some amazing songs here, most notably 'I Want You' (which Jeremy Irons picked as one of his Desert Island Discs) and 'Every Grain of Sand'. Jungr's vocals are extraordinary and her intepretations of Dylan are obviously different than the originals - sometimes softer and gentler, sometimes as rough or anthemlike - and however Jungr treats the tune, it's a gift. It's great to actually understand Dylan's lyrics!
on 8 March 2002
Barb's new cd finds her continuing in chanson mode, a style she has made uniquely hers on cd and live. These matchless performances and arrangements are more than one could have hoped for. Dylan's songs are covered often, sometimes well, but never quite like this.
New life springs from older songs like 'i'll be your baby tonight' and 'i want you' while Barb brings us right up to date with 'sugar baby'. The choices are personal, and are the ones that '...wouldn't let me go.'
I am sure they will never let me go now, and Barb's versions of 'is your love in vain' and 'not dark yet'will be with me forever-I hope!
Exemplary musicianship, both vocally and instrumentally, mark this third cd as something really special, unique in todays marketplace.
I can't recommend this highly enough, whether you're a Dylan fan or otherwise.
on 17 March 2002
Who hasn't heard of Bob Dylan? We all know the man, but mostly other artists are covering his songs. I must admit I like Bob Dylan but not for his interpretations of his songs. He's a very fine and talented songwriter. Barb Jungr - I don't know how she managed - picked out fifteen songs from Dylan's wide oeuvre. And she picked them out carefully! She simply chose the best ones. Nobody has ever covered Dylan's songs better than Barb Jungr. Barb's voice is strong and yet tender and you immediately know that this is one CD you simply must own. This CD should come with a warning label: 'Highly Addictive' - but a very nice addiction I must admit. If you are serious about music you owe it to yourself to rush out and buy this CD on the spot. This must be one of the best CD's of the year! Barb Jungr does an excellent job here and I can only admire such a great talent! Well done, Ms. Jungr!
Madeleine Shepherd - Bradford (UK)