Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 June 2007
These guys are the best band I have heard in 25 years. I'm 42 now and can honestly say this. Buy both CD's - Hot Fuss and Sam's Town. If anything, buy Hot Fuss for track 7 alone! Heard this song ("On Top") for the first time while watching their set at Glastonbury last week (June 23, 2007) and it made my hair curl!! Both CD's are filled with outstanding tracks. Buy both and crank up the volume and imagine your favourite bands of the 70's and 80's and you are there!! Brilliant - on CD and Live!
on 10 June 2004
I first heard a very early version of "Somebody Told Me" - the first single to get The Killers' name heard around six months ago, and have since been waiting eagerly for their album "Hot Fuss" to be released. I bought it at 9am on the day of its release.
Believe me, it was worth the wait.
This album is fantastic.
The top-ten single Mr Brightside will undoubtedly be what compels many people to buy this album, but that's in no way the only reason to buy "Hot Fuss".
The album opens with raw energy and power in "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine", and this power is sustained throughout the LP. With most tracks written by the lead singer (and synth player) Brandon Flowers and the bass player Mark Stoermer, this "glamorous indie rock & roll" band impress from start to finish.
Brandon Flowers has a brilliantly powerful voice, and despite being from Las Vegas, he sings in a slightly English accent. With a little help from a Gospel choir on "All These Things That I've Done" (you'll find yourself singing "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier" in your sleep) and "Andy, You're A Star", Flowers portrays love, jealousy, confusion and just plain fun with absolute perfection.
It's as if the best elements of The Cure, Franz Ferdinand, David Bowie and The Clash have formed a military alliance and agreed to call themselves The Killers.
This is a rare occasion on which I'll say "Believe the hype".
Trust me, The Killers are out to impress.
0Comment| 160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2005
I've got to start by saying that I rarely give anything 5 stars, if I could, I would give this album 6! It is just fantastic. If you haven't heard it, what the hell are you waiting for!? The stand out tracks for me were, Jenny was a friend of mine, Mr. Brightside, Somebody told me, Andy You're a star, Indie Rock and Roll and Everything Will be Alright. Usually when I listen to an album, there are 1 or 2 stand out tracks but in the case of Hot Fuss, I've chosen about half the album and there are still a couple more that I feel should be in there. In conclusion, a truely amazing album that has barely left my CD player since I bought it. Every single track is very, very good (I nearly put them all as stand out tracks but that would have been a bit pointless...)
on 8 November 2004
I got this album about 2 months ago after hearing 'Mr Brightside' and 'Somebody told me'. As soon as I had listened to it all the way through I fell in love with it. It is packed full of individually brilliant tracks, some catchy, some uplifting and others you can dance too. It is really WORTH BUYING, and in my opinion is the best album of 2004, despite other fantastic bands which have made an appearance throughout the year such as 'Snow Patrol', 'Keane' and 'Franz Ferdinand', all within the Indie/Rock genre. One of the BEST things about this album is you do not tire of it: you can carry on listeting to it for months. The only problem I had was that its only 11 tracks long, and the last one 'Everything Will Be Alright' is rather weak. Once you've listened to it, you become desperate for more of their material so check out B-sides such as 'Under the Gun', The Ballad of Michael Valentine, Change your mind and Who Let You Go!
GO BUY NOW!
on 12 March 2007
I have both the killers albums;hot fuss and sam's town and this is by far the best of the two, infact its my favourite album of all time. This album is so good i just had to write a review. Here is how i rate each song:

1.Jenny was a friend of mine-great opening song 9/10

2.Mr Brightside - excellent song, 1 of my favourites 10/10

3.Smile Like You Mean It - one of the songs that got me hooked on the killers-was my favourite song by them but changed my mind after hearing the other songs on this album 10/10

4.Somebody told me - Song that introduced the killers to the world- great song, 1 u never get tired of listening to 10/10

5.All These Things I've Done -Shocked that this is their lowest selling single to date, my favourite song from the album 10/10

6.Andy your a star- not one of their best-average in my opinion 6/10

7.On Top - Just when i think the album is going downhill after listening to Andy your a star this outstanding track comes on. Cant believe they didnt release this as a single, would of surely made the top 10. 10/10

8.Glamorous Indie Rock & Roll -Very catchy, one of the weakest on what is a excellent album,but this would prob be the best song on other albums 7.5/10

9.Believe Me Natalie -Emotional song, one to listen to when your feeling down, very good excellent lyrics and background music 9/10

10.Midnight Show- good song especially the start, one to have on in your car 8/10

11.Everything Will Be Alright- very dissapointing track, only song by the killers that i would recommend not to listen to, change your mind is on the us version and this would have been a much better song to put on 2/10

try getting a hot fuss album which includes the bonus tracks ballad of michael valentine and under the gun as these are very good for bonus tracks
VINE VOICEon 31 August 2006
I first heard 'Mr Brightside' on MTV a few years ago and thought is was a great great indie song. The Killers sound very British and bring back fond memories of the summer of '96. The album does not disappoint, although as many people have mentioned the first half of the album is much better than the second, but this is more because of the sheer quality of the first half rather than any problems with the second. For a debut album this is very very impressive. Looking forward to the second with baited breath....
on 6 August 2004
I haven't heard an album so great for ages. I have to stop myself playing the damn thing, but it's the only one I want to listen to at the moment. If you like Franz Ferdinand you'll like it, reminiscent of New Order, The Smiths, but thankfully it is it's own thing and that's why I can't stop playing it. Great to cycle to if you like going very very fast! I guess if I still had a car it would be great car crash music, I mean driving music. There are great songs on this album, it's filled with hit singles. Oh, go on, get it and play it till it till its your album of the summer.
on 29 August 2006
Well! I'm 17 years old and I admit within this review that I have never had an obsession I will admit to. I am a girl who grew up with the Spice Girls and let myself be swept up in mainstream hype. But I am proud to announce The Killers are my first independent musical obsession and I'm proud of that fact, and I hope this review will tell you why!

I actually got Hot Fuss cheap in the summer of 2005 because I remembered how well they were received and wondered what I was missing out on. Somebody Told Me had featured on a summer compilation CD I had, and I think everyone has to admit how infectious that track was, love it or hate it! I didn't mind it, although I have only just come to hear/understand the lyrics this whole year later and I am ashamed - The Killers deserve my undivided attention!

At the time however, I didn't think I would particularly warm to a dozen tracks in the same vein as STM... so it's just as well they're not! :D

1) Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine: Ask anyone, they'll tell you how incredible this song is. Guilty of a murder, commited through jealousy, a love lost, a love he regrets - you can feel so emotions in Brandon's every word, and I actually sat up with a friend recently who loves The Killers as much as I do, for a good hour deliberating who Jenny could have been and discussing the genius of this song. It truly is incredible - such a fantastic opener!

2) Mr. Brightside: It was upon hearing this track that I decided I had to get Hot Fuss because it was so unlike STM. Brandon plays the jealous lover with his every word and it breaks your heart, the best single in my opinion. # It was only a kiss, how did it end up like this? It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss! # This song can touch anyone who listens to it IMO. And a 5* to the video as well - I love the Moulin Rouge style, massive fan of that film and all passion and jealousy entailed - and is that Brandon I see dancing there? Oh what a beautiful beautiful man!

3) Smile Like You Mean It: There is a lot of pain in this song I think, telling stories of uncertainity that again, I think everyone can relate to. But the power of The Killers song for me is that I can think about them and I can smile cos of how Brandon's voice carries through his every message. I smile like I mean it! :P

4) Somebody Told Me: OK, I admit, I have no idea what this song is about, but I put it down to Brandon Flowers' hidden genius, and let's face it, no-one can escape the beat of this song - and I bet you all sing along! # Well somenody told me that you had a boyfriend that looked like a girlfriend I had in February of last year! #

5) All These Things That I Have Done: Again, not one I understood to begin with and one I thought dragged on, but now I just love it because I can listen and take it to heart and the beat lifts me up and makes me smile, and I don't think anyone can say they weren't encouraged to sing # I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier! # like they didn't mean it because these guys can make me believe it and I love them for it!

6) Andy, You're A Star: Open to interpretation I believe Brandon said, this is a personal fave just cos I know a guy called Andy who IS a star :P even if the rest doesn't really

apply! # Hey shut up, hey shut up! # :P

7) On Top: For the week or so I've been listening to this song, I still haven't figured what it's about but that's me being slow. I enjoy this track simply for the line "It's just a shimmy and a shake, can't fake it, we're on top!"

8) Indie Rock n' Roll: Reading the reviews here, this seems to be the track that's attracted the most criticism, and I really can't see why. The melody pulls you in but gives Brandon the opportunity to force in his every beautiful word. I point you in the direction of # Don't be shy, let's cause a scene, like lovers do on silver screens! ' I love this song more and more each time I hear it.

9) Believe Me Natalie: Possibly the only track on the album that hasn't grabbed me yet. That's not to say I don't like it, the drum beat at the beginning is incredible, and in fact it carries in through the whole song which is a plus point for learning to love it - I'll come back with my more valid opinion when I have fallen in love with it, and no doubt I will. Brandon's vocals make every word irresistable. # Believe me Natalie, listen Natalie, this is... your last chance #

10) Midnight Show: Part of a murder trilogy that lies incomplete on Hot Fuss apparently. It took me and my friend a long time to work this one out, but once we had we fell in love with the murderous intent! # She turned her face to speak but no-one heard her cry! Drive faster - drive faster boy! # You can feel Brandon fighting off his every feeling of guilt and I just love the line # I took my baby's breath beneath the chandelier! #

11) Everything Will Be Alright: Not the greatest exit to their amazing debut I agree, perhaps too long, but I've come to find there is real meaning in this song... again another song the listener can take to heart. There's hope here... lots of hope for The Killers I think!

NOTE: If you can, get the Special Edition of Hot Fuss, I have this, the standard edition and when I realised the genius of this band, decided I couldn't be without the extra tracks "The Ballad Of Michael Valentine" & "Under The Gun" & they are both absolutely incredibly, Under The Gun breaks my heart with all the lost romance, but I'm just a sucker for Brandon and his jealousy and/or heartbreak!

And since the release of "When You Were Young" from the forthcoming album "Sam's Town" I can't tell you how much I have come to love this band and everything about it. I devour every song I come across and have my order for the new album in and I'm counting down the days til the release date of October 2nd and just praying they make it back to the UK as I would love to see them!

The Killers are my first true obsession, I said I am proud and I am - with music and talent like this, they can do nothing but great things IMO!
on 4 March 2005
The Killers are a deceiving band. Their debut Hot Fuss is an electro-indie-disco fusion, the kind not heard since prime-era Pulp. The guitars and synths draw heavily on quintessential british bands such as the Cure and New Order. Yet whilst singer Brandon Flower's hollered vocals sound convincingly british, the band hail from that most unenglish of places, Las Vegas. Knock them all you want for aspiring to be british indie heroes, but there's no denying that with Hot Fuss they've written one of the most addictive albums of 2004.
Singles Mr Brightside and Somebody Told Me have been filling dance floors everywhere with their pulsating energy and universal appeal. Thankfully much of the album's remainder is of a similar quality. Opener Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine sets the tone perfectly, the song describing a crime scene in the most danceable way possible, complete with Peter Hookesque basslines, and the first of many great choruses.
The momentum is maintained for much of the first half of the album. Yet whilst the second half is slightly slower to ignite, it is in no way the weaker half. Glamorous Indie Rock and Roll is the album's oft misunderstood anthem, with its sound, and cringe-worthy lyrics ("She plays the drums, I'm on tambourine" accompanied by shake of said tambourine") wholly intentional. On Top opens with a sequence which sounds worryingly like an Ibiza anthem, before developing into one of the album's highlights. Believe Me Natalie's glimmering guitars and 80s synths are reminiscent of the Cure at their poppy best (right to the point where the song introduces trumpets ala Close To Me), whilst the initially odd Everything Will Be Alright grows with every listen.
Synths should always be used with great care to avoid sounding silly, but the Killers get the balance between guitars and synths just right, Smile Like You Mean It being a classic example. Elsewhere, a gospel choir is used sparingly, but to great effect, helping to make All These Things... the album's shining light, touching yet uplifting. Similarly, Andy You're A Star is saved from mediocrity by an inspired outro.
Only lyrically do the Killers portray their roots. Sleazy and lustful, as on Midnight Show ("You've got a real short, I wanna look up look up look up"), you think you know where Mr Brightside's going with "My stomach is sick....now she's touching his", before the lyrics takes a clever right-turn.
Packed to the rafters with hook-laden songs which will have you playing the album constantly for a month, but with enough smart touches to ensure long-term value, Hot Fuss is undoubtedly one of 2004's great albums, and a deserved success for the Killers.
on 12 November 2004
As someone who buys around 250 albums a year, it takes something very very special to be top of my list. Well, this is something very very special. Instantly hummable tunes. Their influences are obviously mostly wedged in the 80's, but their sound brings it right up to date.
The hit singles such as Mr Brightside are the tracks that'll be talked about with Smiths, Cure, Suede and Pulp references, but the crucial track for me is the mid-CD clincher "All these things that I've done", which shows their skill an aptitude perfectly. Not just one hummable tune, but three (chorus, verse and bridge) in one song, which takes a Strokes riff, raps bagpipe like Big Country guitars around it and sucks out your very soul so that you immediately hit repeat when it finishes.
Pure undiluted class from beginning to end. Buy this album if you have any musical sensibility in your body whatsoever.
I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier. Indeed!