Top positive review
A solid album, even with Darkchild's absence
on 4 June 2016
The album was largely produced by Timbaland. Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins had no involvement on this album. The album contrasts nicely with her previous efforts. The album sounds different as a result, but the impact is still a very good one.
1. Who I Am – 8/10 – A somewhat autobiographical track where Brandy sings about her failed relationship. It is a very good song
2. Afrodisiac – 10/10 – This is one of the standout tracks on the album. It is a great pop record with a solid production effort from Timbaland.
3. Who’s She 2 U – 8/10 – This is a very good urban pop song. Another Timbaland production.
4. Talk About Our Love – 7/10 – Kanye West does a good job on this track, on the production and in his rap. It is a solid track.
5. I Tried – 8/10 – Another great Timbaland track, which samples Coldplay. You can feel the passion in Brandy’s voice when she sings about how she tried to be blind to her partner’s misdeeds, but deep down she knew.
6. Where You Wanna Be – 7/10 – TI is featured on this track, with Kanye west opening the song. This is a very chill track. Brandy sings for the most part in her lower register, but sounds very girly on the high pitched adlibs.
7. Focus – 8/10 – Another lower pitched track. The track sounds similar to “I Tried” in several respects. Brandy sounds sexy on the track.
8. Saddidy – 10/10 – This is a very sassy track. I love the adlibs on the track and how Brandy harmonises in her upper and lower register throughout the track. Great production by Timbaland once again.
9. Turn It Up – 9/10 – Timbaland here again with another unusual, but great production. The track sounds very “90’s”. You can’t help but bop along to the uptempo track.
10. Necessary – 6/10 – A good album track. Brandy’s adlibs and riffs are great.
11. Say You Will – 6/10 – This is a very chill track, with Brandy almost cooing over the track (apart from the higher pitched adlibs).
12. Come as You Are – 8/10 – Another Timbaland track. Very nice production effort. I like how Brandy sings in her lower register in the background. The call-and-response type of singing present in her earlier work is replicated here to good effect.
13. Finally – 8/10 – This is another autobiographical track similar to “Who I Am”. A nice listen.
14. How I Feel – 9/10 – The soft instrumental opener is really beautiful. The general vibe of the track is a melancholy one. There are no vocal theatrics on this track. It is a very easy listen.
15. Should I Go – 9/10 – This is a great closer. A very introspective track, where Brandy addresses how the music industry has changed since it was just her, Monica and Aaliyah on the scene. It is a nice slow song with whispery vocals.