on 4 June 2016
The album was largely produced by Timbaland. Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins had no involvement on this album. The album contrasts nicely with her previous efforts. The album sounds different as a result, but the impact is still a very good one.
1. Who I Am – 8/10 – A somewhat autobiographical track where Brandy sings about her failed relationship. It is a very good song
2. Afrodisiac – 10/10 – This is one of the standout tracks on the album. It is a great pop record with a solid production effort from Timbaland.
3. Who’s She 2 U – 8/10 – This is a very good urban pop song. Another Timbaland production.
4. Talk About Our Love – 7/10 – Kanye West does a good job on this track, on the production and in his rap. It is a solid track.
5. I Tried – 8/10 – Another great Timbaland track, which samples Coldplay. You can feel the passion in Brandy’s voice when she sings about how she tried to be blind to her partner’s misdeeds, but deep down she knew.
6. Where You Wanna Be – 7/10 – TI is featured on this track, with Kanye west opening the song. This is a very chill track. Brandy sings for the most part in her lower register, but sounds very girly on the high pitched adlibs.
7. Focus – 8/10 – Another lower pitched track. The track sounds similar to “I Tried” in several respects. Brandy sounds sexy on the track.
8. Saddidy – 10/10 – This is a very sassy track. I love the adlibs on the track and how Brandy harmonises in her upper and lower register throughout the track. Great production by Timbaland once again.
9. Turn It Up – 9/10 – Timbaland here again with another unusual, but great production. The track sounds very “90’s”. You can’t help but bop along to the uptempo track.
10. Necessary – 6/10 – A good album track. Brandy’s adlibs and riffs are great.
11. Say You Will – 6/10 – This is a very chill track, with Brandy almost cooing over the track (apart from the higher pitched adlibs).
12. Come as You Are – 8/10 – Another Timbaland track. Very nice production effort. I like how Brandy sings in her lower register in the background. The call-and-response type of singing present in her earlier work is replicated here to good effect.
13. Finally – 8/10 – This is another autobiographical track similar to “Who I Am”. A nice listen.
14. How I Feel – 9/10 – The soft instrumental opener is really beautiful. The general vibe of the track is a melancholy one. There are no vocal theatrics on this track. It is a very easy listen.
15. Should I Go – 9/10 – This is a great closer. A very introspective track, where Brandy addresses how the music industry has changed since it was just her, Monica and Aaliyah on the scene. It is a nice slow song with whispery vocals.
on 19 May 2016
Love this album! Brandy is the queen of R&B! Old school goodness!
on 12 June 2016
Beautiful music
on 17 April 2012
I am an avid fan of Brandy, but wasn;t so sure about this album. It didnt grab me as much as her other works have done. My favourite album remains to be Never Say Never.
on 31 December 2014
Memory's. My best friends love this
on 12 May 2013
Was looking to repurchase this album from having it years ago! Love it. It's really easy listening. Came quickly in great condition.
on 22 July 2004
I did not know what to expect from this album, so a fantastic surprise overwhelmed my sceptism.
Brandy is all grown up, and this album to me, out of all her previous ones, defines her womanhood.
Her voice is distinctively her trademark and blends too well with Timberland's ingenuity
All but 1 track, I find extremely entertaining, especially on my 40min drive to work. My favorite is "Should I go". The lyrics touch me and I can't help but take my breathe in, with Brandy. I'm pleased it's not just another love song, but highlights the music industry today.
I hope Brandy gets all the props and credit she deserves!!
Well done Brandy!!!
3 people found this helpful
on 29 June 2004
This album is hot from start to finish. Unlike previous Brandy albums which feature a handful of great tracks and lots of filler, Afrodisiac is solid stuff throughout. For the most part, Brandy knocks the slushy ballads and slow jams on the head in favour of mid to up tempo 21st Century RnB, highlights of which include the title track, Turn It Up and first single Talk About Our Love. Brandy also shines in her more melancholy moment on tracks like I Tried and Should I Go. Brandy reflects on the break up of her marriage on many of these tracks and truly wears her heart on her sleeve making each song all the more 'real' for it. Timbaland's production is tight through out and pushes the album on to another level. Highly recommended!
5 people found this helpful
on 2 July 2004
I'm a big fan of Brandy so of course I bought "AFRODISIAC" the day it came out. On first hearing the album i didn't know what to think because it is completely unlike Brandy. But I found that the next day I was desperate to hear it again. Now it's my favourite Brandy album ever. Brandy has usually written a hand full of songs on her past albums but she only writes one on this. that is "FINALLY" which is one of the best songs. On this album she leaves must of the writing to Timbaland with appearances by Warryn Campbell and Kanye West. Which is surprising as this is her most personal album to date, discussing her divorce and her questioning where she stands in the music industry. She doesn't have to worry if this album is anything to go by. Buy this and you really won't forget it!!!
on 5 July 2004
Well, Brandy is back and what a treat it is! This is, without a shadow of a doubt, her best album. Having said goodbye to Darkchild, who produced most of her last albums, she welcomes aboard Timbaland. With his signature beats and baselines he has gently steered Brandy away from the slushy ballads that filled the last albums. Instead the have some excellent up-tempo shake ya booty tunes. If you where a fan of the mush, there is still some there for you! A guest appearance by man of the moment Kanye West is a treat too! All in all a great album with thought provoking lyrics and a few suprises, you won't be disappointed. 4 and a half stars! Enjoy!
One person found this helpful