on 15 December 2014
Love this film ! Could be said to be somewhat of a "macabre" subject but the humour is just too good and overcomes that ! Knowing Italy VERY WELL we LOVE the Manager who plays the part TO THE LETTER superb acting ! You can't fail with Jack Lemmon and Juliet Mills plays a good part.
One person found this helpful
on 17 April 2009
This film is a delight. It is funny and joyous despite featuring a murder, blackmail and adultery in the plot. It is just a NICE film. Juliet Mills has never looked lovelier and Jack Lemmon's efforts to protect her (or is it his?) modesty with a pair of socks is one of a whole sequence of wonderful moments. Clive Revill's hotel director should have won him an instant Oscar. The World is divided into two sorts of people - those who have never heard of this film (and there are many) and those who adore it. Juliet Mills is reputed to have said it was the nicest film she ever made. If there was a "Desert Island Discs" for movies, this would be my one film (although I would regret leaving "Casablanca" behind).
8 people found this helpful
on 3 May 2018
Much better than some critics say, not of of Wilder's best, but certainly an excellent movie.
on 13 April 2012
I love this film anyway so I bought it just to have it on DVD. It's a film of it's time. It's quite dated in parts, but as long as you realise that these are the opinions of the time it shouldn't detract too much. Also the main character feels she's overweight at 9 1/2 stone which worried me a bit especially as there are more than one comment about her weight. It's a great film though and definitely worth a watch.
One person found this helpful
on 11 September 2015
This DVD is not the one shown on the cover. This particular DVD came with a red cover which I believe may be some sort of a copy.
The sound is hardly audible even with the volume control turned full on.
Apart from that Avanti is a timeless classic.
on 28 December 2013
I keep giving MY copy away to different people and have to re-order for myself because I wouldn't be without it.

Another Feel Good Film I would recommend to all and sundry for many different reasons it shows that the milk of human kindness is still alive and kicking.
on 14 April 2012
Avanti [DVD]

If you like "Some Like it Hot" you will love this Billy Wilder film also - haven't seen it for years but great viewing. Romantic comedy starring Jack Lemmon and Juliet Mills - they don't make them like this anymore! Great price from Amazon - recommended.
4 people found this helpful
on 15 May 2013
It's maybe a little dated now, especially with some of the language used, but I love it. You can almost feel the warmth of the sun sitting in dark, wet UK.

All the actors are excellent and the film trots along to a happy conclusion. Story line similar to 'Same time Next Year'
on 19 August 2011
This is a lovely film I have watched over and over again. Given the subject matter, it is funny. Views of Ischia and surroundings (not all filmed in Ischia - some scenes in Sorrento and Amalfi coast) are lovely. Jack Lemon and Juliet Mills are excellent and hotel manager has some funny lines. Yes, its a little dated now but view it as a 60's period film. Works for me.
on 21 November 2015
My husband remembered seeing this film when he was young. After we had been on holiday to Ischia and Sorrento decided to buy it to see if it reminded us of any of the places we visited. Unfortunately most of the film is set indoors, I think it was originally a play which would explain that. Quite a slow film by today's standards but still enjoyable.