on 16 March 2018
Come on its Police Academy its likely you have seen this already. On TV or somewhere like this. But on Blu-ray its crisp, the score stands out and the picture sharp. Does not change how funny it is because the humour has stood the test of time.... As has the Blue Oyster Club....
on 3 December 2011
Hilarious comedy, proper laugh out loud funny, Police Academy (1984) is one of those rare comedic films with quite an intellectual message.

It's about a failing police institution (the Police Academy) opening itself up to new people and the benefits which can be gained in community policing. However it's not as simple as that!

Steve Guttenberg and co are all excellent actors and deliver a seriously funny bunch of characters in this film. Hugh Wilson has delivered a work which fizzles a little towards the end and loses narrative force but nevertheless is still top class tight comedy with brilliant sketches from one scene to another and it is a classic.

Fantastic for lightening the mood!
on 25 June 2015
I've always loved this movie from day one back in the eighties! But to relive it on Bluray actually gave me a newfound appreciation for it!

The picture and sound quality is a major improvement over the DVD. Colors are brighter, sound is more alive. Of course there's a fair amount of unsurprising grain here and there you could hardly mind given how old the movie is, but the overall experience made it feel like I was seeing it for the first time, even though I pretty much know it all by heart.

This is an all-around feel-good supercool comedy that scores on many levels. The script is comic brilliance, music a huge delight, characters all enjoyable, thanks to excellent casting and acting, all handled by sure-fire direction that knows how to make the jokes hit home.

It's the kind of comedy you can enjoy by yourself or with friends and especially with a crowd, the bigger the better. And unlike the many sequels it spawned that aren't even half as good, this one is guaranteed not to let anyone down, even those who've already seen it. That's a promise.
on 18 June 2016
I love this classic 80's film their always the best! I ordered this film for my dad's father's day present and even though I only ordered it a couple of days ago it was received today being Saturday morning! I'm absolutely delighted! fantastic service guys! I'll definitely be buying from you again. A* service Downton-Direct!
on 29 April 2018
A true classic comedy from the 80’s. It’s as funny today as when I first saw it as a kid. A must for any old school collection
on 23 May 2016
It still is one of the best Police Comedy's you could ever watch. I was 11 when I watched it first and I still laughed as much 32 years later. I have introduced my 2 children aged 10 and 8 and they are hooked. Great performances all round.
on 1 March 2015
I watched this film years ago and have fond memories of it. Watching it again I still found it enjoyable and funny. However, my friend who has never seen it before, despite recognising & liking some of the humour, found it cliched and tired. It's true that some of the jokes are old, but I STILL enjoyed it. Don't know how much of that is nostalgia.

I will say, however, that he did find the actor interviews in this edition interesting, and I loved it! Would have been nice to also have Kim Catrall on it, but possibly she charges to much?? Don't know.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 June 2015
Well, I have always like Police Academy. It was a pleasure to re-seeing it again after a long time. If you want a good laugh and not something too deep. well this is the film. A bit corny at times but surely fun.
on 9 April 2018
A Classic, always a good watch.
on 13 May 2018