Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 March 2017
Thanks
on 20 September 2004
Ron Sexsmith has a talent for creating fine melodies and refreshingly un-clichéd lyrics. "Whatever it Takes" is faultless toe-tapping soul, "Tomorrow in her Eyes" is a simple, beautiful track - when I heard him perform it live at his Dublin gig recently I knew I had to get buy this CD. It's the best thing I've heard in ages.
on 22 March 2008
Coldplay,Elvis Costello,Paul Mccartney. You've heard of them well, why not this guy? Do yourself and your ears a favour and just buy one of his albums. This was my first choice. Has two of the best songs I've ever heard in years. "Not about to lose" and "Wishing wells".I only bought it as Raul Malo (he ex of the mavericks) covered one of Sexsmiths songs "Secret Heart." That album of Sexsmiths will be next on my list. A real find amongst todays corporate rock drivel.
on 26 April 2004
This is the sixth album from Ron and he's on great form. More guitar-basedthan previous efforts, this still has everything we've come to expect froma Sexsmith album: great melodies and thoughtful, low key lyrics. Mypersonal favourites are Not About to Lose and For the Driver.
Greastsongwriting like this should be supported; don't miss it!
on 13 March 2009
I never had paid much attention to Ron Sexsmith, even if he is Canadian (and despite my penchant to support the music of Québec and of the Dominion of Canada) and even if it always was evident that the lad has a lot of talent. His songs earlier in his career seemed so promising, both words (rare these days when song lyrics are variously mind-numbingly sub-literate or vacuously pretentious) and music, his voice nice but not compelling enough to come up with a strongly persuasive "package" of song material and performance to propel me into "leaping for the bait" enough to want to buy any of his CDs or audiocassettes.

That was the case until I heard "Whatever It Takes" (unannounced, of course) playing softly as background music while on "hold" while waiting for a chemist (pharmacist, in our Canadian lingo) when calling the drugstore! I made a frantic effort to identify who was singing this great and very sophisticated song, with vocals of such tenderness and musical control and a surprisingly appropriate and fine arrangement. So, it turned out to be Ron Sexsmith! Well, lads, I am on the path to being a Sexsmith fan now, or at least a vigilant observer of what he does in this still-new 21st century!
on 12 March 2009

That was the case until I heard "Whatever It Takes" (unannounced, of course) playing softly as background music while on "hold" while waiting for a chemist (pharmacist) when calling the drugstore! I made a frantic effort to identify who was singing this great and very sophisticated song, with vocals of such tenderness and musical control and a surprisingly appropriate and fine arrangement. So, it turned out to be Ron Sexsmith! Well, lads, I am on the path to being a Sexsmith fan now, or at least a vigilant observer of what he does in this still-new 21st century!
on 11 February 2012
If you like Ron Sexsmith for his voice and songwriting talent, but find him occasionally (a) a bit schmaltzy, (b) a bit like Paul McCartney's bad stuff (c) a bit overproduced, then this is the album for you, because this album avoids all of those pitfalls. I really wish I could say the same for more of his stuff...
on 18 June 2004
this album is great for ron its a change from his last (CR) and this is his seventh album by the way, every one is a real classic. one of our generations great songwriter, well done ron
on 14 April 2015
One of the best new singer songwriters. He has such a warm voice.
on 3 July 2016