on 10 January 2005
I expected not to enjoy this film and was surprised to find that I love it. Having read the book first is usually a set up for a fall as the characters are not how you imagined them and it only serves to irritate. However, a fantastic cast ensures that this is not the case and my personal vote goes to Juliette Binoche who is wonderful.
It is one of these fims which begins with the ending and then puts the story together piece by piece, a format I am very taken by. It is the story of an adulterous relationship that ends in disaster. I am entirely convinced by Fiennes as Count Almazy and Scott-Thomas as Katharine Clifton but prefer the touching nursing scenes with Binoche.
My favourite bit is the little candles and the church largely due to the music. It puts a huge smile on my face and brings a tear to my eye - yes, I know it's completely unrealistic but I just don't care and admit to occasionally watching that scene on its own when I am fed up with the reality of relationships.
This is escapism at its best and I can't recommend it stongly enough. Its perfect for those who usually find romantic movies too schmaltzy and pathetic.
on 19 April 2017
Film is magnificent but the Blu-ray quality is shockingly bad. Equivalent to a mediocre DVD - grainy (especially in shadows), not sharp, the sound isn't terribly crisp either. VERY disappointed. Missed the 'window' for returning this, otherwise I certainly would've.
on 26 May 2017
A lovely film, about heroism, love and the courage that transcends nationalism!
on 1 May 2017
Very good film
on 10 June 2017
ok
on 4 May 2016
Excellent very much enjoyed.
on 29 March 2017
my wife saw part way through the film on a plane flight and wanted to see the end.Not really my choice but I ended up enjoying it as well.Well acted by a good cast
on 20 June 2017