VINE VOICEon 22 March 2011
why oh why did i give in and buy this for my daughter when i knew what we all know......... anything made it kiddie form like popcorn machines, ovens and badge makers rarely work like the amazing adverts.
one of the biggest wastes of money ever, so dissapointing for our daughter, we read the instructions over and over and got it working ( kind of) but it dropped so many stitches and jammed so often we ended up with nothing, bits fell off or snapped and yet we were gentle with it.
couldnt make anything with it so it was dumped in favour of knitting needles and a lesson from nanny.much simpler really. my advice just buy some needles and wool and go the old route
on 14 August 2014
it's ok
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 February 2015
This is not one of the better knitting machine toys. It is easy to set up with the instructions and easy to turn the handle but it frequently fails to release the yarn when it should and if so so drops a lot of stitches. You will need to stand over the child with a crochet hook ready to correct all the mistakes the machine makes. Putting a weight like a bulldog clip on the emerging work helps a bit but does not eliminate these problems. Adult assistance will probably be needed the first time to finish off till the child gets good at it.

I would recommend the new version of the Singer knitting machine toy or the PRYM midi instead of this. They both have a superior mechanism that reduces the number of the problems above, and additionally they are more readily available just now.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 February 2008
I'd love to comment on this product based on me following the products instructions, but my unit came with none and i have been unsuccesful in trying to obtain the instructions from the company, which left me guessing how it worked...

I couldn't get it to work no matter what i tried and like the other reviewers have also stated, my unit also jammed a lot of the time too... Ggggggrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has the potential to be a great product, but it has been made too cheaply, and just doesn't work.

Surely the company would do better by producing a high quality product and charging a little bit more money for it? I would certainly buy one then...

So, i do not recommend this product at all, if possible try and find a high quality version, or professional version if there is such a thing, instead of this, it will only end in tears for the child and frustration for the parent.
VINE VOICEon 12 October 2010
This is a great idea for a toy, I love things that get kids into crafts and things, but all this will do is put kids off trying any crafts in future! There is no excuse for this not being a perfectly good gadget, it's pure greed to manufacture such shoddy tat and inexcusable in today's world with overflowing landfills and exhausted resources. My advice is to get a knitting loom (sometimes called French knitting) which does the same thing but they have to pull the stitches over and wrap the wool round by hand which is actually much more educational and satisfying, plus you won't end up with it all in a big, wasteful, useless knot. Ours went in the bin I'm afraid.
on 10 February 2009
I am now on my 3rd Machine, the first one I got for my neice and that seemed OK, so I got another for my daughter, I tried it out myself first and despite reading the instructions over and over it kept jamming and would not knit properly...I took it back and got another, that is a little better, but it is still dropping some stitches, so I will probably end up taking that back too. I would like to say that the manufacturer was helpful, but sadly all they did was send me a copy of the instructions which I already had and had followed to the letter as if to say the machine couldn't possibly be faulty...think again. Judging by the other reviews and my own experience it would seem most of them are!
on 8 January 2008
We bought this for our daughter for Christmas and she was so eager to try it out. After carefully setting it up and reading all the instructions correctly, we began. It knitted the item fine, using the specialist wool provided in the pack, but I had no end of trouble trying to cast the stitches off. Despite reading and re-reading the instructions and being an experienced knitter, I just couldn't do it!! The next project we tried, we used normal wool. This was even more of a disaster - it dropped stitches left right and centre before jamming - I ended up getting so angry I just ripped the knitting out and took the scissors to it in a fit of fury! It's still sitting on the table as I've not managed to muster up enough patience to have another go at it and I fear I will end up opening the front door and giving the thing a good kick out into the street whilst simultaneously foaming at the mouth. How on earth a child is meant to be able to use this product is beyond me - I ended up doing all the work!

What a cheap load of old rubbish!!
on 21 November 2007
I bought my daughter this as a christmas present, last year, it was the worst toy that I have bought. It was dropping stitches and was constantly jamming, even when I tried it. We read and re-read the instructions to make sure we were doing everything correct, eventually it completly jammed after an hour of getting it to work properly. I returned it as soon as I could after Christmas, refusing a replacement. Instead I bought her a Girl Craft - Easy Knit Scarf kit. She has had a year of fun and enjoyment from it and it goes everywhere with her.
on 5 February 2006
I would not recommend this for a child. I decided to try it out first and as a knitting savvy adult I could not get it to work, despite following instructions carefully. It missed stitches, unravelled, and then permanently jammed. I will be returning mine - have never had so much trouble using a knitting gadget.
on 16 June 2014
I disagree with the below reviews- this is a fantastic machine that after an initial bit of effort is extremely easy and efficient to use. Even with wire. I run arts workshops and am desperate to track some others down- I can't find any at the moment- any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.