Customer reviews

on 19 March 2004
Building on the success of the original, Ubisoft is bringing CSI: Crime Scene Investigation 2: Dark Motives (Dark Motives) to the PC. Again, the game will use the images and voices of all the major CSI characters. Max Allen Collins (one of the authors of Road to Perdition) is doing the script, as well. Dark Motives will continue in the tradition of the original game using video, sound and the 3D sets from the television show. Changes made for the sequel include longer cases and a number of improvements designed to make the game feel more like a faster paced CSI episode. There will once again be five cases, with a new CSI partner for each case, but this time Gil Grissom will be your partner (not the victim) on the fifth case.
There are still vivid cut-scene reconstructions of the crime when you recover and understand sufficient evidence.
The cut-scenes further your understanding of the crime and help draw you into the action. Unlike the first game, there will be a dramatic visual set-up of the crime scene when you first arrive, complete with interesting camera angles and music inspired by the show. More and smoother camera cuts better evoke the feeling of the television series. There's also more vivid material, such as a suitably anatomical close up of a dead homeless man's internal organs in the first case the player takes on.
As in the first game, players in Dark Motives will still need to do a lot of investigative work in the crime lab. This portion of the game has been extended to better involve the player. Rather than handing genetic samples off to an analyst, players will be able to compare DNA sequences through the lab computer, or use the microscope to estimate time of death using insect using comparative samples. This makes the player's role in the crime lab more than just delivering and picking up evidence.
0Comment| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 June 2004
I thought this game was brillant. I bought csi investigations which I enjoyed, but I must say this is better. You do more investigations of your own examining the body yourself for clues, also when you go to the lab you still give greg sanders the evidence that you have collected, he then scans it into the computer or microscope. This is where you come in, you have to check every piece of evidence to see if it matches. I did get stuck on some pieces of evidence, but I asked Grimson for clues to jog my memory. This game keeps you thinking all the time as to who committed the murders. Well worth buying.
on 11 December 2004
This game is amazing. I bought it and couldn't come off it until it was finished! It is highly addictive because it is so good!
Not only a good game but a really good storyline which comes together at the end when your last case links the previous ones.
Just like the series you get great reconstruction videos throughout your cases.
If you like the series CSI then you'll love the game!
on 29 June 2004
Dark Motives certainly lived upto it's expectations! I avoided the first CSI game after reading that it "lead you by the hand," but this can't be accused of that. The game leaves you very much to your own devices, but offers help in the form of the familar CSI charcters whenever you give up, put your pride aside and admit you can't do it on your own! You have to examine the evidence yourself by giving it to Greg in the lab...but don't be fooled into thinking that all you have to do is collect the evidence, you have to examine it piece by piece, allowing you to feel part of the story! The graphics are amazing, especially the CSI database and microscope! The cases gradually become more challenging and you thoroughly get into the role of being the new CSI on the graveyard shift! A great buy for any hooked CSI fan!
on 24 November 2004
I LOVE this game !! My sister (who doesnot even like CSI the TV show!!) Loves this game!
I got it as a passing my GCSE's present and i was playing it non-stop until i completed all of the cases!
It's one of those games that you complete and then leave on the shelf for a while, then notice it and go "OHHHHH my csi game, gunna go play on that!"
Loved it! Buy It!!
btw.... they now do a CSI board game ! can you believe it?!?
on 28 November 2004
This game is far more realistic and truer to the show than the previous outing. The cases are more difficult to solve and more interesting to follow, and the analysis of evidence is more user based rather than done for you by the computer.
If you are a big fan of CSI, you will love this game. Its appeal definitely lies with those who are fans of the show rather than the casual gamer.
VINE VOICEon 17 May 2004
... and I loved the first. When I bought the first game I quite liked CSI and it lived up to my expectations, though it was a bit short. Now I absolutely love CSI and CSI Dark Motives definitely lives up to my expections.
It's longer, more interesting, more complicated and I really felt I was getting something out of it rather than just pointing and clicking (which was how the first felt sometimes). Even if you aren't a CSI fan but enjoy investigation type games I would still certainly recommend this. Bring on the 3rd...
VINE VOICEon 14 August 2005
I bought this game as a person who likes computer games, but is not necessarily very good at them! I haven't really seen much of the TV show, but the blurb on the back of the box was enough to have me interested.
I don't have a bad thing to say about CSI Dark Motives. I found it difficult enough to be quite a challenge, but not so difficult that I couldn't eventually complete it.
For a PC Game, the graphics are great, the sound is good, and overall it's well worth the money.
on 4 April 2005
When I bought this game I wasn't into CSI at all, it's just that I like this genre of games. Instantly the game was very intriguing keeping me at and edge till I finished the case. I found myself quite keen to watch CSI then and I found out that I really like the series. So then I continued playing the game from a new perspective as if I really was part of the crime lab :D Once you get the hang of which tools to use and where, and where to look for evidence in even the most nifty of places, the game flow becomes quite regular. The crafted storylines help to keep you riveted to the pc playing the game till the very last case, which in my opinion is the peak of it all. The cases seemed to become more interesting as you progress along. The only thing I'll nag about, is that I wanted more than 5 cases cause I really enjoyed playing the game. All in all definetly a good worth for your money!
on 8 June 2013
The game wouldn't load, so I cant say. This may have been a conflict between the software and the lap top so I cant down mark the product. The delivery was prompt and packaged well. It was so cheap I cant really be bothered to return it but I am sure the seller would receive its return as efficiently as it was dispatched.