Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 March 2003
I can only echo what the previous reviewer said - he summed it up perfectly. With the exception of raucous Redneck Friend, which doesn't really blend into the mood of the album, this is as good as it gets for me. Sublime. And the combination of David Lindley and Jackson Browne is a key feature for me - sadly missing on his latest release which is all the poorer for it. The accompaniments Lindley offers are so sympathetic with the songs it is just so beautiful to hear.
The approaching rumble of the drums on For Everyman is , and I can only repeat Allan Cumming's words in his review , "the most instantly gratifying musical passage I know". An incredibly inspired moment.
This has to be my No 1 Desert Island disc of all time - even 30 years since I first heard it.
22 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 May 2016
Excellent, thanks!
on 9 October 2000
After 50 years immersed in music of various kinds, I am surprised by how few people seem to have registered the place of Jackson Browne in musical history, and the sheer enjoyability of his work as a singer/songwriter/musician. I was recently at a party at which we were all asked to bring our all-time number one CD. With no need to think I picked out his amazing "Late for the Sky" CD - and would have taken "For Everyman" if we had been allowed two picks. I accept that he got a little heavy and serious in the eighties, but his first five albums were all masterpieces which have not faded at all with time.
On "For Everyman", his musical partner Richard Lindley as usual provides spectacular addenda on electric violin or guitar. The lyrics are meaningful, arresting, even amusing on "Ready or not" - "next thing I remember she was all moved in and I was buying her a washing machine" - and the melodies memorable. "Take it easy" is best know as the Eagles cover version, but Lindley plays it better. It, along with "Ready or not"and "Red Neck Friend" are the up-tempo leavening for a feast of melodic, dreamy music poems, with coruscating guitar lines, moody piano, and enjoyable vocal harmonies.
The best track is the title one, last on the CD. It starts as a quiet, reflective guitar/bass/vocal piece. Then a simple acoustic guitar riff is repeated again and again, accompanied by a drum beat which rises slowly from a gentle rhythm to a throbbing pulse. Just when you are reaching for the volume control to protect your ears, the drum stops suddenly and the original melody comes bursting through, clear and pure, in the most instantly gratifying musical passage I know. In the context of the song it is meant to have an "adventist" connotation - new day etc - although less subtle references spring to mind.
It's worth buying the CD just for that moment, but there is much much more. Richard Lindley's playing is superb; he did at least one solo album, but the sum of Browne and Lindley was always greater than the individual parts. This is definitely a CD to look after and revisit over the years.
22 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 17 May 2007
I have to take my time with Jackson Browne, a writer of beautiful, poignant lyrics couched in rich Americana. The melodies and twists take a while to bed down in my consciousness. 'For Everyman' feels a little like a winding-up for 'Late For The Sky'. The title track, which closes the album, provides an epic climax, and five tracks of similar length can be found on the follow up.

'Take It Easy', the best-known song here, is superficially similar to The Eagles' cover, but their version goes through the motions by comparison. You can tell that Browne believes in this song and he brings out the full poetic impact of the lyric. The next four tracks have a hard act to follow but each has its own agenda and distinct quality. 'Red Neck Friend' is a rare uptempo rocker, not his forte, but a useful break nevertheless. From here on, the tracks improve in quality again, with Browne and band giving the title track the full treatment of harmonies and lush acoustic instrumentation without losing their dignity. Treasure this album because it will live with you for as long as you do.
on 11 September 2005
The album opens with the gently driven track of "Take it easy " popularised by the Eagles, but this is a musically richer offering by its author. With the wonderful pedal steel sounds that place a layer of interest into this tongue in cheek song. This runs efforlessly and seamlessly into "our lady of the Well". This album contains many themes of longing and loss, but for me Browne avoids being maudling as the lyrical and haunting music manage to lift the listner above the sadness and yet retains the poignancy of the human condition.
It would be impossible to review this album without weighing in the inestimable talent of David Lindley ( Well worth checking out his own work !) His ability to weave a riveting and at times mezmerising line that counter points the tune. I find his contribution adds considerably to the elegance of this album.( also Late For the Sky, Saturate Before Using )
The depth of talent on this album probably gives an idea of it's quality .Don Henley, Glen Frey for the Eagles fans. Bonnie Rait , yes Browne was using her skills back in 1973. Joni Mithchell and David Crosby do a little too.
Weakest track for me is RED Neck Friend which is a basic rock and roll track and if I were more musically literate I'd be able to tell you that it's a basic 12 bar blues or something. However the 9 other tracks are smooth and thematic, Bonnie Raits harmonies on "The Times You've Come" add a haunting beauty. For me, much of the pleasure comes from Jackson's lyrics, he has a cratsmanship with words which is often as evocative of the mood as the music itself, frequently at it's best when he is expressing sadness. Lines such as "now we are lying here so safe in the ruins of our pleasure."
The album closes with two tracks that flow together. Which have quite a strong flavour of yearning for something better, paticularly in "For Everyman ". Which ends with the line "Don't think too badly of one who's left holding sand,he's just another dreamer , dreaming about everyman" Some call it slow and durge like, but for the rest its an album to soak in or maybe thats wollow.
on 15 November 2007
Still great (musically) after all these years, especially his alternative arrangement of Take It Easy (co-written with Glen Frey of The Eagles), whilst the closing suite, Sing My Songs To Me and For Everyman is still and for me always will be his finest moment. Despite having owned a few, I never really rated any of his others, either from this period or later.

The album's biggest liability, though, is the thick sound quality, especially in the upper registers, which is even more apparent on CD. The latest, supposedly digitally remastered issue, is nothing of the sort (and I bought two of them) ~ they look and sound exactly the same as my first generation CD issue and even include the standard note about the limitations of an original analog recording being exposed by the high resolution of the CD medium. If the recording really had been remastered, the booklet should say where, when and by whom, but it doesn't. Whether any of his other albums from this period have genuinely been remastered, I know not, but this one most definitely hasn't.
on 2 January 2010
I have no real idea why I suddenly decided to look at the JB section, I've had all his albums for years and seen him countles times, but something made me look at For Everyman and then I remembered the one line, one of the truly great rock and roll lyrics - "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - who writes lyrics like that anymore and this album is full of them, this is simply one of the finest albums ever made, it sounds as good today as it did when it was released.

If you are interested put it in your basket now you will not regret it, if you do - I fear for your soul !
on 15 July 2014
I have little to add to the excellent and accurate reviews already posted on this album . It is great and David Lindley is one of the unsung maestros of rock . There has been criticism of the sound quality but , once again , the message is far more important than the medium . Otherwise only those lucky enough to be able to afford Linn , Arcam , Cyrus and Naim would be able to get any pleasure from music .
on 27 April 2009
I came to Jackson Browne via Running on Empty, which is as good a place to start as any.
This album is quite diffirent, its a masterpeice of (mostly) understated & beautifully recorded songs.
Stand outs are Take It Easy, These Days & For Everyman, but really it should be played from start to finnish.
If you are looking for an end of the day type of album you should try this one.
on 11 April 2016
To add to the other far more elequent reviews it's a great album. For my money the best Jackson Browne album, even better than the immaculate 'Late for the Sky', only one slight filler track and that's far from a dud. Side one from 'Take it Easy' to 'These Days' just might be my all time favorite side in my entire record collection!