Customer reviews

Anne Frank (2001) [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 20 December 2011
An excellent film. Very moving and very sad. Well worth watching. It helps us understand just what some went through. Makes us realise how lucky we are.
on 18 September 2014
have been to Amsterdam and seen the museam twice the caricters mach the pepal so well it is uncanny and levs you in no dout your watchin the real thing
on 5 April 2013
very good film,and detailed,good acting,the best of the anne frank films ive seen,uts 3 hours long but its a good watch so u wont really notice it.
on 1 December 2013
An excellent version of the world famous book by teenager Anne Frank showing life in Nazi occupied Europe through the eyes of a young Jewish girl.
on 2 January 2014
I bought this DVD for my daughter who was studying the Holocaust in history in school for her O'level. It's a good film and is well portrayed.
on 2 December 2009
I get really impressed how the things going in this movie ... With Amsterdam as cenarium ... Wonderfull
I would recommend anyone to see it!
VINE VOICEon 6 April 2013
I hadn't read Anne Frank's diary, nor any of the books about it, but knew the history before watching this DVD (including having an excellent guide take me through Auschwitz-Birkenau last year). As a result, I cannot compare the DVD with the diary itself, but look at it from the viewpoints of its importance and simply as a film (although one in two parts).

Although it told what happened, and some of the acting was very good (particularly Ben Kingsley as Otto Frank), this DVD felt like it had been sanitised for a younger audience, missing the atmosphere, tension, fear and sheer brutality that it could have conveyed. Not having read the diary, I don't know if this is because the DVD reflects how the diary of a girl/young woman was written, or whether it is purely a case of how the production company decided to present it for a particular target audience.

Assuming that this was produced with a young audience in mind, it's perfectly adequate, and certainly something to base discussion around, whether as part of a school curriculum or as part of discussion at home. For an older audience who already know much about the horrors committed during WW2, the diary of Anne Frank is definitely something that should be read or viewed, but I think I would recommend reading it rather than watching this DVD (unless you want to do both).

It is far from impossible that history could repeat itself, but I would like to think that it is less likely if people know what has happened before. Unfortunately, even that is no guarantee. However, it is still important that people know. To that end, for an older audience, I'd recommend some (subtitled) Polish-language films about WW2, including Katyn. For secondary school age and above, the series "The World at War" available on DVD is excellent viewing. For early secondary school age (say 11-13), this DVD of Anne Frank might be useful, but for ages above that I'd suggest reading the diary or one of the books about the diary. For things that have happened since WW2 that demonstrate just how easily such things can happen again, I'd recommend some of John Pilger's DVDs.

DVD of Anne Frank recommended for early secondary-school age range.
on 25 March 2012
Must watch if interested in the topic of true history It keeps you glued to the set with a wonder in your mind "How would I have coped"
on 15 May 2013
This adaption does tell the whole truth from her innocent schooldays to the horror of a nazi death camp. The cast are also excellent.
on 19 April 2014
I have to admit one of the greatest films I have had the pleasure to watch. Very moving story about a young girls hope of freedom.