Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 30 April 2005
Yes that's right, you may see an anaconda a giraffe or kangaroo but you'll never find a Nessy in the zoo. This is the classic childrens tale of two children who can talk to the loch Ness monsters (yes there are many of these beasts) whenever they wish. The stories are short and the animation is simple, but there is no other childrens series that has Nessie in it.
For the price at least one of the DVDs is worth it for the two songs, let alone for the imaginative stories.
If you have a few quid to spare and want to relive 80's kids TV this is for you. Willy Fog also has a 5 disc box set of his journey round the world out which is well worth it (11+ hours for less than the cost of "Lord of the Rings")
I remember this on BBC1 when I was just a 5 year old. It had a really great theme tune, one so catchy to be in fact. The cartoon itself is not so great. A bit formulaic at times and I don't expect any of today's kids to be taken by this but this is still a fun, simple and gentle series. I still wet myself laughing at so-stereotyped Scottish accents. Defiantly worth a buy for nostalgia and collectors.
Before buying this DVD I had not watched the The Family Ness since the early 90's & almost forgot how amazing this show is. When I first put on the DVD the theme tunes takes me right back to being a child again, even now, 20 years later I can still remember all the words lol. All in all very very happy with this DVD. The only downside is you only get 8 episodes (listed below) & at 5mins each this makes this set only 40mins long, it's a shame really as other shows you can buy the complete series for the same price. But apart from that small thing i otherwise loves this set. Unfortunately there is no subtitles on this set too, but to most of us that is really not a problem & did not effect the enjoyment we had.

Elspeth And Angus Meet The Loch Ness Monster
Clumsy-Ness Upsets Captain StandFast
Clever-Ness Helps With The Homework
Silly-Ness And The Bubble Machine
on 21 February 2006
This show is as good as I remember it being!
If you remember watching it as a kid then it's good to watch again! The episodes are really short and it'll take you less than an hour to watch the whole thing.
Nice little trip down memory lane!
Family Ness was made in 1984 and shown on BBC.It is all about a family of loch ness monsters in the north of Scotland.Each episode runs 5 minuetes.For £5.99 this is a good value enjoyable video although I would not pay any more.
on 8 January 2015
A wonderfully silly funny, yet warm and fuzzy series that to me at least, made Scotland interesting again, the pun is obvious but it's fun, the characters are daft, but they're supposed to be, the theme is catchy and the stories short yet sweet, this is a series for any true Scotsman or Scotswoman, I love this series and recomend it highly to all!
on 13 March 2016
This was a video from when I was little 30 years ago! We had the old VHS tapes out and then decided to get it on DVD. It's still as good as I remember and now my own children enjoy watching it too. Great purchase and an awesome price.
VINE VOICEon 1 August 2010
I remember this from the 80s and was really pleased tho see that it was available to buy so that today's little ones can enjoy it too. We have spent a quiet 40 minutes being entertained by Elspheth, Angus and the many inhabitants of Loch Ness. There are 8 short episodes on this volume of the series and each only lasts a few minutes - enough to hold the attention of a lively 4 year old. The 'monsters' are completely non-scary so can be enjoyed by really small children.

Brilliant series - so go on and enjoy a bit of nostalgia!!
on 12 June 2011
I first saw Family Ness in 1985 on Childern's BBC I fell in love the theme tune.
It,s been 27 years since production all 25 epsiodes must be released in a complete boxset.

Ending theme tune

You can knock it you can rock it
you can go to Timbuktu but you'll never find a nessy in a zoo
you may see an Anconda or Giraffe & Kangroo but you'll never find nessy in a zoo.
on 23 February 2014
I remember watching this with my daughter and son when they were small (20 odd years ago). When I saw it on the Amazon website I just had to buy it to watch with my granddaughter. And she loves it. Some would say to excess! Only problem is finding myself singing the theme tune at inappropriate moments!