Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now

Format: DVD|Change

on 21 November 2010
Why oh Why couldn't this dvd have a longer running time? When you think of how many series of Q programmes that Spike made for the BBC let alone all the guest appearances he made on other shows this offering is just a tiny snippet of his career.
I grew up in a family of Spike lovers, my father owning all the war memoir books, my brother lending me Puckoon and Small Dreams of a Scorpion, my mother cherishing his poems and myself tuning into the radio to catch reruns of the Goons on Radio 4. I was almost a teenager when I first remember watching any of the Q series which was a bit risquet at the time (see the Cash Machine sketch to see why) and to me he was funnier than Monty Python. Like them alot of his humour is hit and miss but still as enduring and he didn't have to resort to profanity to make his point either. Particular hilights on the dvd include insects auditioning for Sir David Attenborough, the singing viking maid, the camp camp and the dim witted Scouts. Where the Dalek sketch is is a mystery.
If you like your humour a little silly and a bit left field then you will enjoy this dvd. Kept me laughing for the full 80 minute runtime.
33 Comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 November 2012
One of Britain's greatest comics. We think of today's comics as pushing the boundary's, well it all started with Spike's genius. Off key and quirky post war comics had seen life and lose like no other. This is a must buy for Goons fans and for those who would like to investigate the price of real genius.
on 4 January 2013
Incorporating some great idiot moments from Spikes career this dvd owes much to video for its content and really does highlight change in humour over the years. Spike fans will love it, others may just be confused why nobody can keep a straight face when workign with this comic genius
on 7 November 2015
Any dvd of Spike miiligan sketches could never be long enough for me, I do however agree with my fellow reviewers in respect of why no DVD release of Spike's fantasic Q series? Having said that I may be able to answer my own question here as the BBC are known for wiping tapes of classic shows, early episodes of Doctor Who and some material of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore are two examples, just hope that's not the case with Q. But I've given the best of Spike five stars as it's always great to see the one of the all-time greats in action, though in todays culture some of
the material would be frowned upon (but bear in mind society, culture and comedy back then were totally different and what is perceived as funny or hilarious now in 2015 may well be frowned upon 45 years from now). Now if you, like myself are a massive fan of all things milligan then this DVD is
for you and if you are just curious about Spike, then you can't go far wrong than checking this out, and seeing the comic genius who influenced
Monty Python and was considered to be a massive inspiration to the alternative comedy scene of the 80's, And if you are just curious about Spike there was more to the man than just the material on this DVD. Check out his books, poetry and his ground breaking work with The Goons
on 27 August 2016
Love Spike,laughed all the way through,and then giggled for days after,one of our best comedians.I used to watch him with my dad as a youngster,now in my sixties I watch him with my husband,Spike's comedy never ages,still just as funny.
on 8 January 2002
In this video are many excerpts from the Q seies, which I hadn't seen before. It also has an ongoing interview with Spike throughout. I have watched it many times and it still makes me laugh!...
on 9 May 2012
Once this got into the swing of things it was hilarious but the first few scenes (the interview especially) are rather a test of the viewer's endurance. Spike himself is certainly not to blame - even in the interview scenes he was a scream, but generally these scenes broke up the flow and deadened the enjoyment. Had it been presented as 80 minutes of Milligan and not 70 (say) of Milligan and 10 of un-hilarious padding, I might have enjoyed it a good deal more. Well worth a look, but not if you are new to him.
on 21 March 2004
in watching this video there is one thing that saddens me, spike milligan is no longer alive. spike for all his faults was one of the best post war comics and his anguish and drive coupled with his manic energy make this video very watchable. i watched Q9 as a child and this had a long lasting effect on me. on reflection i think that if you were a spike milligan fan then this video would be in your collection. it has many short sketches that spike is remembered for and also an early chance to see john bluthal pre vicar of dibley. if you have only read his books then this video will give you just a little taste of what you have missed.
on 28 February 2013
An excellent collection of Milligan material.
This man re-defined British comedy and here, they have collected some of his memorable sketches.
Sadly, there are still quite a number of my favourites left out, hence only four stars. There are, nevertheless, several other DVDs of this mans inspired madness, so I may still get hold of my ideal treasures.
on 8 April 2015
It was great to watch and I laughed until I cried. Definately worth the purchase and I am happy to have this in my collection