Format: DVD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 November 2007
Big Train only ran for two series but established itself as one of the funniest shows ever made in a very short space of time. A classic post Python sketch show, that was competing with serious heavyweight comedies like the The Fast Show and Little Britain, and the end, in my view, was better than both.

The surreal nature of some of the sketches is what makes the show so great. One sketch that always stuck in my mind was the wildlife film with the couple getting on to the roof of their Land Rover as a stampeding 'herd' of Jockey's swept past.. But there were many others just as good and some even more surreal. They were all beautifully acted by a stellar cast. Remember this is a series that had Simon Pegg and Catherine Tate to name but two.

Then of course there was the World Stare Out championships. A truly inspired idea, and to get Barry Davies in to do the commentary with one of the cast was the icing on the cake. How the writers thought that two animated characters staring at each other, in a psuedo sports arena, could be funny is completely beyond me. The fact that they were right, and produced one of the most original pieces of modern comedy is even more to their credit. I wonder how many takes they had to do each time?

If you missed these shows the first or second time round then this double DVD set is worth getting (theres some nice extras), and if you did see the show the first time round you'll know you have to get it!
on 12 January 2006
One of my best comedy DVDs in my collection. Why oh why doesn’t this brilliant series ever get repeats on BBC1 or BBC3 instead of seeing the overrated 'Little Britain' and very annoying 'Two Pints' every night?
Wacky, bizarre and unique similar to the classic 'Monty Python' and 'The Fast Show' (also my favourite sketch shows) Big Train is right up there. From the creators of the hilarious 'Father Ted' Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews. Also includes a fantastic cast…Kevin Eldon, Simon Pegg, Mark Heap, Julia Davis Amelia Bullmore and Rebecca Front (many who have worked and stared with Steve Coogan in his Alan Partridge series.
Never got recognised enough when originally transmitted in 1998 so the second series which followed 4 years later and wasn’t quite as strong from a writing point of view didn’t have a chance, so the Big Train is probably not very well known today just like the amazing 'Perfect World' which stared Paul Kaye in 2000 and 'The Peter Principle' which was another brilliant BBC comedy to run in the late nineties which stared Jim Broadbent. Great BBC comedies all which ran once with no repeats with the rubbish we get today on ITV2 and BBC3, the best thing comedy wise on today is 'Peep Show' and 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'.
Does have an enquired taste, but please try it.
on 20 September 2005
"And listen carefully, as this is the most important thing I shall ever say and I shall not repeat it"
I think I've watched this scene from the first series about 50 times now, words alone cannot express how side splittingly funny it is. You can't afford to not buy this if you enjoy comedy such as Spaced and Father Ted. And OMG the extra scenes that were not included in the original series are hilarious!
But don't get excited about the second series though, yes there are some laughs here but it's nowhere near the same quality as the first. Although I did enjoy the monks, and the guy who makes the smart remark and then gets stuck opening doors.
Brilliant DVD, highly recommeded!
on 16 October 2011
I absolutely loved Big Train. It's hit and miss really, as every sketch show is, but in this one, the hits are much more common than the misses. Also, there are some which were huge hits for me, such as the Tom Henderson sketch and the fire0fighting jockeys (which can be found on youtube). I am usually put off from buying DVDs of sketch shows, as they do not usually have a lasting appeal, but this one really does.
The show has a lot of fairly surreal sketches, which not everyone will appreciate really. However, even if you do not like these sketches, many of the sketches in series 2 are generally less surreal, so this could still appeal to you.
But, to put it basically, if you like a lot of the other shows which have similar casting (particularly Mark Heap, Kevin Eldon and Simon Pegg), then you will almost definitely like this.
Certainly worth getting.
on 9 January 2014
Both series are very strange, but I found series two to be the funniest out of the both of them.
Glad I purchased this though, it's a very classic comedy - love the sketch about the guy who thinks everything is about him not being married ha ha!
on 23 November 2014
I bought as a way to help me with my English. I loved the surreal, sarcastic and witty humour.Really funny, I cracked up. Some sketches are not so impressive, but the thing is, the acting is so good, that it is worth it, one always make the most of it. Simon Pegg, Catherin Tate and the rest are just wonderful actors, the scripts are distinguised for their creativity, so, yes, I would recommend it, no doubt.
on 5 September 2014
Used to watch watch this with my family when I was a lot younger and just got it on DVD after seeing it on TV not long ago. I was probably too young to get a lot of the jokes back then but after rewatching I've come to the conclusion it is one of the funniest British sketch shows made! Pegg, Eldon and co are all hilarious.
on 30 July 2004
Monty Python was and is still ahead of it's time, and this series expands on that perfection by tweaking one thing - acting. Apart from that, the sketches are all Python-esque (which is obviously a good thing). The addition of fine acting is what makes this stomach-achingly hilarious. Anyone remember the family who talk too fast? Pre-order a copy of this for everyone you know, cause the release of this is going to make Christmas with friends and family a scream!
on 5 June 2014
Somehow I missed the whole of Big Train when it was first televised. I was introduced to it by watching one sketch whilst on holiday. In the main Big Train is the type of humour that makes me laugh out loud. Having said that I could not give 5 stars as there are a couple of sketches that did not 'hit the spot' for me, but as in life, we don't all like the same things. Overall for me , it was a good purchase.
on 27 October 2012
French-speaking tortoises. Middle-aged men competing in schoolgirl gymnastics. Prince in the wild, crawling on all fours. A foul-mouthed Florence Nightingale lookalike. A date with a set of traffic-lights. It goes on. There are a few dud segments in this but the vast majority of stuff is just wonderful. Big Train really did ruin me for other sketch shows. My favourite bit (despite having seen it maybe 30 or 40 times) involves Mark Heap as a Doctor Who villain in hospital being visited by his mother and Simon Pegg, painted bright blue. I also loved the DVD commentary - one of the very few actually worth listening to. Kevin Eldon is particularly funny on the voiceover. If they ever do a third series I'm pre-ordering on my pre-ordering.