on 18 March 2005
Still one of the best digital SLRs available for the price, alot of pros use it. I was split between a Pentax *istDS and a D70. I like Pentax and appreciate their history of making small, asthetic cameras. However it doesn't hold up to the D70 in terms of immediate usability or quality of lens. In fact half the reason you should consider a D70 is due to the quality of the 18-70 lens that comes with it. If you don't have an investment in any other manufacturers lenses, then the D70 is going to be a great choice for you.
It's a camera that will serve you well over the next few years and hold it's value when you want to upgrade.
See [...] for an intelligent review that concentrates on what the camera allows you to do rather than lab type facts and figures.
on 22 April 2005
I've had this camera for a few days and I would recommend it to anyone.
In automatic mode anyone can use it. Just point and shoot and the camera takes care of everything - focus, exposure and flash - and the results are exceptional.
Once you begin experimenting with aperture and shutter speed settings the camera really comes into its own and it delivers professional quality pictures quickly and easily. All the controls are easily accessible and everything feels like it is where it should be. It's the most configurable SLR that I have ever used and will do everthing that the non-digital SLR's I have owned will do and a lot more - such as automatically controlling ISO for varying light conditions.
Everthing about this camera exudes quality. It's very solidly built and feels like it will last for years. Battery life is good, and much better if you turn off the VCR and don't use too much flash.
I am using a 512mb flash card, and this will give you close to 300 pictures on medium resolution(still great quality). Set to high resolution I can get around 140 pictures.
I would recommend that you buy it with the 18-70mm lens which is great, and all you need for general use. More serious users will probably also want to buy a good telephoto lens, and maybe an ulta-wide angle.
It's very hard to find any fault with this camera. I was expecting something good, but it has surpassed my expections - and then some.
Nikon have produced a real gem here - a professional quality digital SLR at a great price. Take the time to discover its true capabillities and it will reward you with fantastic pictures. In short - Just buy it.
on 2 June 2005
very VERY similair to the D70S, and after buying both to check them out I sent the D70S back and claimed my £100 cashback on the D70.... fabulous camera, does absolutely everything and after the online upgrade to the firmware is pratically identical to the D70S.. brilliant value and highly recommended - but buy a few 128 or one 512mb CF straight away!
VINE VOICEon 20 September 2014
I won't go on and on about specs in this short review, instead i'll focus on how easy it is to use and why you would want it, even now despite it's age.

First off it's a fantastic entry level DSLR for those on a budget but wanting good solid results. This was my first DSLR years ago, i bought this along with a nice 18-200 lens. Although i only paid £250 for the D70, with the lens i was hoping for some great results.

For the newbie, it's a great starting point. The camera has plenty of features you will want and need to get you rolling in the world of SLR's. There's enough settings to try your hand at different styles of photography although there are the eventual limits of the older tech.

The camera only boasts 6mp but again with a decent lens on, it will out perform most of the compact cameras out there and many top end ones. The camera also only has a small LCD at the back which is for viewing results only and editing menu's etc. It cannot be used as a viewfinder but most won't be bothered by that. The camera also uses CF memory cards too, at the time they cost a fortune but now you can pick them up cheapish and they are great storage cards. But newer models now feature both CF and SD or dual SD for the purpose of storing 2 different formats of picture, at the same time.

The camera can write in RAW which is brilliant for those wanting to do alot of post editing through Lightroom etc. Also it can be changed in JPEG on the camera so you can go straight into photoshop etc.

The camera being quite old, now has alot of 3rd party accessories out there although some items like a battery grip are rare and hard to find.

I myself now use this as a backup but still like to play around with it. I couldn't recommend this enough to anyone wanting a strong, well made, fantastic DSLR camera for a low price, especially with a lens thrown in.
on 5 November 2004
I am pretty new to the world of photography and bought this camera on the strength of reviews on here and in the press. I must admit that I am not the most technical of amatuer photographers. So my review is aimed at those people new to the technicalities of photography. I tend to work on the "if all else fails read instructions" method! However, I must say it has worked with this camera. Completely self explanatory and easy to use even for a complete beginner. I have had a Nikon Coolpix 4300 for about a year before launching myself into digital SLR territory, and I was impressed with the quality of the pictures I got from the 4300 but felt I needed more creative control that you can only get from an SLR. The results are stunning, beautiful colour, who needs more than 6.1 MP anyway? It is built to an excellent standard, feels really solid and able to cope with anything you could care to shoot with it! A Big Well done Nikon for providing such a wonderful affordable introduction into more a more professional level of photograpy.
on 21 February 2007
Possibly one of the best purchases I ever made. The D70 is an excellent product. I used the £100 cashback towards the purchase of a 70-300mm lens and recently added the SB400 flash. All the products are great. I suppose the newer D80 is also a fine Nikon product, but no desire to upgrade as the D70 does everything I want. I've now pensioned off my 35 year old Canon F-1 SLR.
on 30 January 2012
This is my first purchase of a DSLR Camera, and it was a fantastic deal!
Amazon is probably the best place to look for buying the Nikon D70.
I'm a fine art photography student and in my first year at university, i've worked with the Nikon D70 before at college, so i'm used to it's functions. I can definitely say that it is a great camera to work with, and it covers more or less everything you could ask of a DSLR Camera. The quality is excellent and it's easy to handle.
When I bought it, I got everything I needed plus extras, it's great for new photographers!
I'm more than happy with my purchase, and from what I have read from other reviews, I am sure that i'll be hanging on to this camera for a very long time. I highly recommend the Nikon D70!
on 26 March 2005
Excellent product if you are a newcomer to digitl SLR, this is the camera for you, so easy to use and the results a brilliant would highly recommend this camera.
on 4 June 2013
Reviewed 2013 - excellent camera especially with the 18-70 kit lens which on its own is worth £300 when it came out around 2004.
If you in market for good lens like 18-70 see whether you can pick it up cheaper if you get the kit lens on ebay, second hand stores.

Battery life is good with the camera.

Images from camera are good and useable but can be bit dark,dull and under exposed - also shooting at over iso 400 can get extremely noisy and poor at high isos.

Would use it without any issues from 200 - 400, care between 400 - 800 and useable up to 1600 iso.

These days the LCD screen looks ting and lack clarity on up to date models like D7000, D800, etc.

Have used cards of 4GB in camera without problem.
on 30 July 2016
Excellent packaging, came with plant of unexpected accessories. Only problem is a rather major one. The camera shows the battery as low, even after a 6 hour charge, thusly the camera shutter stops operating and so does the UI.