Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 June 2006
Modest Mouse are a David Lynch movie of a band. Bristling with a charming weirdness, and sparkling like a pair of... ruby slippers.

Good News for People Who Love Bad News, is more accessible and lifting listening experience than The Moon & Antarctica. Like The Flaming lips, they have a knack for making statements about life, death, mortality and spirituality, in a celebratory tone. "Bury Me With It," "Devil's Work Day" and "Satin in a Coffin" are eerily creepy, yet wonderfully erratic (Brock's vocals somewhere between Tom Waits and the Tazmanian Devil).

Good News for People Who Love Bad News continually delivers, while demonstrating the contrast of harsh and beautiful things about music, and life. In fact, not only are Modest Mouse fascinating, but they occupy a space all of their own somewhere between The Black Heart Procession and The Flaming Lips.

A splendid record.
on 12 May 2005
Amazing. This album is just beautiful. It was the first album i bought by Modest Mouse, and it became the start of my collection. I heard 'Float On' orginally, and i was just blown away. It's unlike any other music i have heard, and it has the ability to move you emotionally. You can feel the emotion and feeling dripping off every song.
It's refreshing to hear a range of different instruents being used in accompaniment to traditional rock instruments, such as violin and the horn. There's a strong theme of the ocean in this album, not just because of the lyrics, the sounds take you away from where you are, and you feel you could be by the ocean.
When i first bought the album, i found some of the songs very strange, such as ' Bury me with it', 'Dance Hall' and 'This Devils Workday', but they soon grow on you as you appreciate their original sound. I find it amazing that they are relatively unheard of over here, but i think they are an acquired taste, especially as the singers voice is very country sounding. Overall they are an amzing band, and this album is great to buy for your first Modest Mouse album; you will not be disappointed.
on 19 January 2005
I absolutely love this album - it's revived my love of music and has inspired me to buy other CDs of the same genre. I came across this band completely by accident. I was in Melbourne for a conference and sitting in a cool bar, when this CD was put on - and I loved it immediately. What I like about it is the variety of songs on it - you can see all kinds of different influences, ranging from Tom Waits, The Cure, Red Hot Chilly Peppers, The Clash, etc. with some amazing lyrics. It's made me want more, more and more.
on 28 May 2004
Having been a Modest Mouse fan for a very long time now, I can safely say that this is like nothing they have ever done before. They're back and still fantastic. Although this album isnt as good as 'This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About' or 'Lonesome Crowded West' its not half bad. There are a couple of catchy tunes such as 'Float On' and 'Ocean Breathes Salty' however if you have just been drawn into buying this album because of 'Float On' think again. The album shows many new styles, some of which sound like Tom Waits (not that thats a bad thing). As well as this there is much classic Modest Mouse incorporated into this album. It also features great vocals from singer Isaac Brock. This album would be great for a long time fan, but perhaps not so great for one who has been sucked in through the song 'Float On'.
on 11 July 2016
classic bonkers alt-rock. Can't recommend this highly enough!

A friend of mine introduced me to this when I spent a few months in the Bay area (mostly Oakland), back in 2005.

I brought home this, Jack Johnson and the Lovemakers ("Times of Romance").
on 17 January 2015
Love this album, I heard Buwoski first and liked it. Then I discovered Float On and then I realized I had to get this album. It's got such song variety, and there all great! Some might find Dancehall a little silly, but It's hilarious and catchy to me. It's still a very good album if you have problems with that song. My favorite tracks are, the atmospheric World At Large, the optimistic Float On & Ocean Salty Breeze. And the reflective "The View & The Good Times Are Killing Me"
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 November 2013
This was the first time I'd heard Modest Mouse. I love the Smiths, but didn't keep up with Marr's other projects (clearly). I've now ordered all MM's other albums, as this is first rate music. Great lyrics which couldn't compliment the music much better, and the listenability of these tracks is outstanding. Buy, play loud and play proud. Fantastic stuff.
on 28 July 2009
Been a MM fan for a while now (funny how many reviews open with similar) so this was a little different than I expected...there are definitely some more polished moments on this record than on previous...sounds like a positive and in some cases it is (if you've heard other MM records you'll probably have the same dual feelings as me) and the introduction of new sounds and instruments is, I think, a forward step as it provides them a broader range of sounds to take away and do something wierd with.

In a lot of listeners reviews I've read I've seen a lot of negative stuff about direction changes or depth of lyrics (particularly American reviews). I can see what they're talking about but I totally disagree...I think there is enough classic MM on this record to please 90% of fans but there are also lots of new little experiments and surprises that should delight and hopefully engage new fans as Float On has done...my sister who normally listens to pop with deluxe production and a million dollar budget behind it loved The World At Large and The Good Times are Killing Me as well as the obviously catchy Float On.

This is different from The Lonesome Crowded West and This is a Long Drive... and all the other MM classics as everyone has already said but it's definitely not a bad thing...I find if I'm paired down to putting one MM track on a playlist or CD for someone my choice regularly comes down to something from this and one of the classix...I think Dramamine probably wins out more often than not but to even get tracks considered in such a dilemma there has got to be some real quality in the songs here.

Last couple of things...if you've heard Float On and are tempted to buy this record, brilliant...do it...BUT maybe think about checking out a couple more tracks first - if you like them then definitely buy this and then go and buy the whole back catalogue...you won't be disappointed.

Die hard MM fans complaining about this...go away and listen to "Know it All" by Lagwagon...you'll hate it, it's "punk music", but the message is clear and remeber as Cody ChesnuTT said "It ain't rock, it ain't roll if we don't disagree".
on 14 March 2005
This is a brilliant album. I can understand why I can't find anybody that's even heard of them here in the UK because I hadn't until I chanced upon them, but that was a fantastic piece of pure luck. I've just ordered their entire back catalogue after getting in to this album. I'd list my favourite tracks but I really think every song is total quality. Float On and The World At Large are more immediately loveable but it's the consistently brilliant lyrics that prevail throughout that make this a bit of a classic to me.
on 4 July 2004
"Good news" is the superb new release from Modest Mouse. The album incorperates some of their older, more shouty style of rock seen on albums like "The Lonesome Crowded West" as well as their mellower sounds found on albums like "The Moon and Antarctica" but still manages to be different from any of their back-catalogue. There are a large number of outstanding tracks including "The World at Large", "Bukowski", "The View" and "Black Cadillacs" with "Float On" being the obvious choice for a single.
Older fans might dislike it because the mood is more relaxed and less harsh than on previous albums, but Isaac Brock's vocals are still just as quirky and distorted as ever. If you buy this album expecting much the same as their single "Float On", you wont find it, however you will find Modest Mouse's most easily accessible and instantly loveable album.