Blood On The Tracks
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 May 2018
Partly prompted by film-maker Todd Haynes’ highly inventive Dylan 'biopic’, I’m Not There, I have just revisited this 1975 masterpiece by the man himself. It’s an album I’ve lived with since its release but, having subsequently gone through periods of punk, reggae, soul, (everlasting) Springsteen, etc., one that had not seen a turntable, cassette deck(!) or CD player for a good 20 or so years. It is rather like running into an old familiar friend and it finds Dylan in wonderfully intimate mood as he reflects mostly tenderly, sometimes angrily and always nostalgically on his (at the time) recent split with his wife. My long-time recollection was that the album’s first four songs were all nailed-on classics but, on re-listening, I can see that there is no duff song amongst the ten here. Dylan’s vocals are on fine form, with much memorably plaintive wailing, revealing the passion behind the man’s typically poetic lyrics.

Personal favourite songs include the haunting Simple Twist of Fate, plus the album’s two magnum opi, the scathing Idiot Wind and the jaunty Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts (the latter song which I’ve always considered an admittedly slightly inferior counterpart to Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again). But, probably the pinnacle of the album’s heartfelt emotion is reached on the sublime ballads You’re A Big Girl Now and If You See Her, Say Hello (the latter featuring Dylan on mandolin). A classic album well worth revisiting.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 9 February 2015
This is a beautiful album. The songs are so emotional, tender and sweet. I think everyone can relate to the songs on here. I think the sign of the good album is when your favorite songs changes over time. When I first brought it I couldn't get enough of the lovely Buckets of Rain but now I can relate to Simple Twist of Fate more. My only slight complaint is that at almost 9 minutes Lilly, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts is a bit dragged out and because of the up-tempo drum beat it sounds a little out of place. However this is still one of the best albums ever made and if your new to Dylan probably the best place to start.
4 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 25 March 2012
Reviewing 'Blood on the Tracks' is absolutely pointless by now, it is a work of genius, the world knows it, it is potentially THE zenith of 20th century music. Of all the albums I own and love, of all the masterpieces, the near masterpieces, The Smiths, The Beatles, The Beastie Boys .etc. this album is actually top. I actually count about 8 of the best songs I have ever heard on this one disc, from the lyrical master-class that is 'Shelter From The Storm' to the genuine rock of 'Idiot Wind', Dylan never really surpassed the music here, and that is one hell of a claim.

I admit the 'Rosemary, Lily & The Jack of Hearts' is a bit of a drag in comparison to the other tracks here, it doesn't seem to fit, 'Blood on the Tracks' is about pain or bitterness, this song just doesn't seem to have that. A second slight downside is that Dylan decided to leave one of his greatest tracks 'Up To Me' off the album, if you haven't heard this song but love this album you owe it to yourself to find it. But these are minor gripes, after all this is Bob Dylan at the height of his powers. It really is that good.
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 15 August 2017
If you know music, you really don’t need my amateur critique of this masterpiece.

So i’ll Just say the pressing is great, 180 grams, it sounds absolutely amazing. Just buy it.
on 21 September 2013
Given this is one of Dylan's classics and it's a premium mobile fidelity remaster, I'll assume you already know and love the music and are trying to decide whether this is worth the significant extra cost.
I have a fair number of mobile fidelity original masters CDs and SACDs but initially wasn't sure I'd notice too much difference on this one to make it worth the extra. Compared to the 2003 Greg Calbi/Sterling Sound remaster on Sony Columbia, this is a revelation. If you have a good SACD system, you are going to notice a lot more definition around the different instruments, and just more overall clarity and musicality on this master. It all sound great but Simple Twist of Fate and You're a Big Girl Now sound fantastic on this disc, so much better than previous cd releases.
So if you don't mind paying a premium for good audiophile quality discs, you have kit to make that worthwhile and you know you like the music, get this remaster.
on 25 April 2017
Dylan's best album remastered with care and put onto 180 g vinyl...could do with some sleeve notes but the music, songs , soulfulness are sublime
on 29 April 2016
My favourite Dylan album and I think best album ever. There are some real advances in the sound of CD releases, but where they add clarity they lose warmth and depth. This is smoother and recaptures the sound just as I remember it. This is a pricey album to buy, but worth every penny!
on 11 November 2017
I ordered this from Music Magpie (via Amazon) and I can't praise them enough. It is not the first time I have ordered items from Music Magpie and they are good.
on 7 December 2011
Dylan's vocal ability has been questioned by some over the years, but the lyrical and poetic majesty that is Bob Dylan and had and has never been equalled in popular music was never more profundly,succinctly and painfully put onto disc until Blood On The Tracks hit the shops in 1975.
Personally, I have never cared for other people singing Dylan's stuff especially when it's as emotional and personal as this material. Called the ultimate break up record by the most discerning critics it was especially poignant when I heard it, going through a break up myself. Everything that I felt at all levels of my being but could not express was pin pointed concisely and magically presented to me on this record.

Tangled Up in Blue, a time mixed narative which alternates between 'then', 'now' and 'when' and the narator switches from 'me' to 'him' in a verse.

Simple Twist of Fate, a simple boy meets girl, falls in love and breaks apart story that ends in a lovers' regret/remorse that leads to him haunting the places where they met and went.

Lily, Rosemary and Jack of Hearts, a western movie put onto record. One of Dylan's masterworks in imagery, story telling and with an ensemble cast of characters.

You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go, a poet's lyrical dream with a honeysuckle melody.

If You See Her, Say Hello, it's said the original lyric was too raw and so Dylan softened it. The remnaining song is still a painful and powerful jolt and will trigger unhappy memories to anyone who has loved and lost.

Idiot Wind, could be the most vitriolic attack by a genius against anyone, let alone a spouse. I read somewhere that when Dylan first performed this live, his wife was in the audience - ouch! That must have been the most uncomfortable seat in house that night.

I have played this album repeatedly for over 35 years (on disc, tape, CD and now i-tunes digital format) and it is truly a timeless and classic piece of work that in my humble opinion has never been equalled.
on 22 March 2018
Great album but 1st delivery wouldnt play without skipping and this disc the sound quality is missing..so got the SACD Hybid from a cheaper source..that sounds superb