The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 April 2018
The album that started it all! 1963! A friend played me this (I still hadn't heard his first, somewhat tentative album) & it was something of a musical epiphany for me. It was the first time I'd heard songs addressing social issues & not just dealing with love relationships, though there are the latter on here too ('Girl from the north country' & 'Don't think twice, it's alright' being the two main ones). Of course, since hearing this I got to listen to the likes of Woody Guthrie & the great blues singers & realized there were others before Bob who sang about wider issues than man-woman relationships...but he was the first for me. Everyone knows how much Bob developed over the decades, sometimes annoying purists who wanted him to stay some sort of 'spokesperson' for his generation which he never was. There are other equally brilliant Dylan albums, all in different ways, but with tracks like 'Blowin' in the wind', 'Oxford town' & 'A hard rain's a-gonna fall', this remains an essential.
on 4 February 2014
Music on Vinyl releases are almost always very well pressed. The sound quality is very good although they do sound a little clinical in comparison to true analogue releases. the bass has a dry tight sound which robs the music of weight. I'll still buy them now and then but I won't expect them to blow my mind. They are good source of vinyl though, as some of the re-releases from the proper audiophile vinyl companies are far too expensive now (e.g. Analogue Productions, Mobile Fidelity). I'm sure if they reduced their prices they would recoup any losses in higher sales volumes and give more music lovers the pleasure of hearing their great releases.
2 people found this helpful
on 23 January 2018
Masters of War, Hard Rain, Talking World War III were powerful warnings back then. What's changed?
The Beatles CD albums now have attractive card sleeves with additional photos and notes. These landmark Dylan albums have only cheesy plastic boxes that fall apart. They are classics and deserve better presentation and packaging.
on 1 January 2018
An early album with some of Dylan's best known songs but there are a few songs such as Bob Dylan's Blues that are filler ramblings when you compare them with something like Tangled Up In Blues. Would have been a killer single album.
on 25 April 2017
I used to have this on vinyl a long time ago but these days I have all my music on cds. I've missed this for a long time but am sorting out what I need to buy again on cd now. I love Bob Dylan from this period and the songs on this are among his best. I'm so pleased to have this back again, and the sound is really good.
on 13 September 2013
Dylan lays it down and announces with this second album that he was indeed here to stay. The best was yet to come but this album still holds some of the greatest songs in Dylan's entire discography, Blowin' In The Wind, Masters Of War, A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall, Don't Think Twice, It's All Right, all classics. Protest songs, love songs, folk songs, or just singing the blues, the material on The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan remains amongst the most astonishing ever recorded by an artist who was still aged just 23.

Truly something special this masterpiece has been given the vinyl release it really deserves. This wonderful Mobile Fidelity 180g 45 rpm release is in a word - STUNNING!
on 4 April 2011
This is one of my all time favourite Dylan albums. I have it on plastic but it got played so much that it was not worth copying it. the quality of these songs is measured by the fact that they have all been played and covered by other outstanding musicians.
Blowing in the wind, Girl of the north country, classic Dylan and the songs every one learning guitar in the sixties cut their teeth on.
Don't think twice it's alright was covered by just about everyone and 'A hard rain's a gonna fall' was covered by Roxy music.
Don't take my word for it, buy the album and sit and listen, because that's what Dylan is all about; he's a true urban poet.
on 10 May 2013
Just wish I'd bought this CD years ago, I'd always loved the photos on the front & back covers of a young Dylan with his then time girlfriend Suze Rotolo. I already had most of Dylan's famous songs on various other albums.Thou not A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall or Bob Dylan's Dream which somehow or another I only first heard about 5 years ago & have always thought since then is a great track. A kind of right man's song about mates of from long ago that will never be forgotten and about traveling the open road or on railway boxcars like Woody Guthrie did for years. Since listening to this album I've got to absolutely love Girl From The North Country, Corrina Corrina, Talkin' World War III & I Shall be Free.
Also within the cover there is other good black & white photos of Dylan, a full review of the album & the meanings & reasons as into why as Dylan wrote all the songs at the time he did. In the past I made up I made up a tapes of Bob Dylan's songs for people & wrote the singer as being "The Razz Man". Obviously I had to explain the reason why I called Dylan this name. I'd made it up myself as a nickname for him because as you know his real name is Robert Allen Zimmerman. I love playing with words and as you see the initials of his 3 given names make up RAZ. Add an extra Z & it gives you the word RAZZ which can mean "deride". And that is what I feel Dylan does in a lot of his songs, to sing against the establishment with contempt, mockery & ridicule which I admire so much. I hope that makes sense to some people.
All and all it's an album well worth buying!!!
on 14 June 2018
Product as expected
on 12 February 2017
Great songs and perfect Delivered on time.I would recommend the cd and vendors.