on 28 June 2005
I was given this set at christmas by my parents. A few of my friends have poker sets and we have been playing for a while now, so my parents got me this. It's probably the best set of the three between my friends and I but its not the best.
As pointed out in some previous reviews it isnt the most transportable poker set in the world, likelyhood is all your chips will fall out on the way if you dont put some clingfilm etc over it.
The cards are very good quality, two sets and I dont have any complaints about those, very nice.
The chips, 50 of each colour and reasonable, not the best in the world. Feel too light as pointed out in a previous review and feel a bit tacky compared with some other sets, but its a useful set anyway.
The wooden holder itself, nice to look at and has a nice handle. However, the quality of this is quite poor, its smooth on the outside but in the chip holders it isnt smoothed off at all, I wouldnt be surprised if I got a splinter trying to get the chips out. As a result of this the chips get scratched in the holder, not a very good system if you ask me.
Overall its a reasonable set, and many hours of fun. Probably the main flaws with it are chip weight and the holder/transport. Worth getting, but definatly look around at other options first.
on 14 November 2004
I ordered these extra chips to supplement the Texas Hold'em set I had already bought from Amazon. The title of the product says "With Professional Chips", however these chips are of a lighter weight that those in the "Professional Texas Hold'em Set In Tin" I also bought here. The set is cheaper than these chips, yet you get the same quantity but far better quality! I was that disappointed I gave these chips away.
Just wanted others to know, so anyone looking for extra chips like I was, may I suggest just getting more of the actual poker sets. You'll lose out on the Wood Poker Rack and 2nd deck of card, but you'll save yourself almost £3 (at time of writing anyway), get some extra felt and be playing with chips all the same weight.
Its a pity that Amazon don't list the weight of these chips, so you can compare them with the other chips. The ones in the 1st set I bought weigh 11.5g and claim to be the professional weight. Hence as these are titled professional chips, surely its not unreasonable to expect them to weigh 11.5 also!
on 13 November 2004
I struggled to find chips on the high street, and when I did they came in silly cardboard boxes. Here you get some nice chips, two packs of decent cards, a dealer button, the rules of texas holdem and a solid wooden carrier. The chips are ok, not the best quality, fairly thin plastic with the patturn printed on rather than moulded in, but they certainly do the job. The carrier isn't a particularly effective thing for bringing round someones house of an evening, as there's no way to close the top and hold the chips in place and it's pretty heavy. It's more to hold the chips nice in a cupboard or something and bring to the table for a game. Nice that it's wood with a brass handle, makes it look far better quality than something made of plastic.
Fantastic value set, everything you need for a game of poker apart from gullable mates!
on 13 July 2010
The rack is pretty good, the cards are not of high quality but that was to be expected for the cost. Also the chips although stated as being 11g professional chips are not 11g, they are the light weight cheap ones you can buy in packs for a couple of quid. I bought some other chips and cards and use the rack, but for a beginner the set would be fine.
on 8 July 2010
Liked the poker chips and rack but have had to repair the rack. On opening it was found that a bit of wood had been chipped off the rack. It did appear to have been packed well enough so cannot explain why it was damaged.
Otherwise I would still recommend this product
on 23 December 2013
tks vm, it was great
on 28 November 2010
Great fun to play with, as I have just been taught how to play poker, so wanted a kit for us at home. Dont think I would recommend it to small children unless you want them to become gamblers hooked on losing money to their friends. Instead why not just send them off on a paddle steamer down the Mississippi!
on 28 December 2016
Quality
on 9 September 2004
What a bargain - poker rack with fantastic set of chips - I'm now the envy of all my mates. Every time we get together I am pleaded with to get the poker chips out. Taking it on my stag do next weekend.
Absolutely brilliant!!