Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 18 March 2017
super dvd
on 6 April 2017
Took me back to my youth!
on 9 August 2017
Love this film
on 17 November 2013
This UK DVD is an Anamorphic Widescreen transfer of this Classic Disney movie.

Unlike the US DVD which is a Fullscreen transfer.
on 5 April 2011
Pretty Gabrielle Anwar (whatever became of her?) plays true life character Sonora Webster Carver, a young girl who runs away from home to join a travelling carnival. She is soon jumping horses off a 40-foot platform into a small pool of water. Death defying, no doubt, and soon an accident leaves her handicapped for life. But Sonora is determined to go on.
Another feel good movie from the Disney stables, may not be among its best, but definietly worth watching with the family.
By the way, the real life Sonora died in 2003 at age 99.
on 23 October 2010
I bought this dvd for my daughter's birthday (5) because she is horse-crazy. She couldnt wait to see the film and we both watched it together. It is sad in parts and also a bit scary when the horse diving takes place but it didnt seem to dent my daughters concentration. She was oblivious to the drama. It had a happy ending and overall we enjoyed it.
on 21 February 2011
I saw this movie years ago on Tv. I always remembered this film but couldnt remember the title so couldnt purchase it. one day i decided i was going to find out what its called even if it takes me all day. It took about 15 mins once i got onto google. I bought it immediately. I have just watched it and i think its a great film. its moving and based on a true story, 11 years the girl was horse diving while she was completely blind its a very encouraging movie, if she can keep believeing and pushing her dream even when she is blind then anyone can make there dreams come true. I reccomend this film 100%
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 June 2015
I remember seeing Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken back when it first came out in the early 90’s. But since I recently learned it stars Gabrielle Anwar who I’ve been watching for years now as Fiona, Michael’s girlfriend on Burn Notice, I had to watch it again. And I enjoyed it just as much as I remember enjoying it.

It’s 1932, and a recently orphaned Sonora (Gabrielle Anwar) is now living with her aunt in Georgia. She’s a trouble maker, and when her aunt has had enough, she decides to have the state take care of her.

So Sonora runs away and joins a traveling circus act. While she answers and ad to be "Doctor" Carver's (Cliff Robertson) new diving girl, she instead becomes a stable hand. But she works with Doc's son Al (Michael Schoeffling) to break a wild horse and prove she can be the new diving girl, much to the dismay of egotistical Marie (Kathleen York), the current diving girl. But what will happen when tragedy strikes?

This movie is based on a true story, which probably means they kept the names and one or two details the same. Still, it is an inspiring story of a young woman who does not let obstacles stand in her way. In fact, it’s easy to root for her to get a happy ever after ending.

Despite the G rating, there are some more serious moments to the film. They are handled tastefully and artfully, so they shouldn’t be too upsetting to young kids.

The film is predictable, especially if you know the big twist to the story that happens about an hour into the film. And no, I haven’t given it away above, but most of the promotion for the movie at the time did. And, as others have pointed out, it is on the overly sweet and sentimental side of things. Again, this is Disney in the early 90’s. What were you expecting?

And yet, I found myself drawn into the story. I didn’t remember most of what happened exactly, so I was captivated again. Sonora’s spirit is amazing, and it’s very easy to use her as a guide into the film. The rest of the characters grow on you as well. Maybe not Marie, but she’s not supposed to. There are some humorous moments that will make you chuckle if not laugh out loud.

The acting is amazing. I kept watching Gabrielle for glimpses of Fiona, and occasionally I’d see a facial expression or gesture I knew, but for the most part this is a completely different character. And the rest of the cast is great at letting you get lost in the story that is unfolding.

And so I recommend Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken. It’s still a charming movie that will keep you entertained for the hour and a half running time.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 June 2004
Sonora Webster lives with her aunt and younger sister but when she gets into trouble too often her aunt tells her she will send her away. So Sonora runs off to fufill her dreams and ends up at Doc Carvers Diving Horses circus. Where she falls in love with Doc Carvers son, Al. But when Al has an argument with his dad he leaves, will Sonora ever see him again? This film is very funny.
This is film is based on a true story.
on 17 October 2012
This was very well liked by my 9 year old granddaughter. The story was exciting in parts and very touching at times and had a happy ending.