The Milk-Eyed Mender
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 October 2007
Joanna Newsom, a Californian singer-songwriter whose instrument of choice is the harp, is already a huge name in the world of alternative music and rightly so. Her highly literate and imaginative lyrics and sophisticated musical accompaniments make for compelling listening, and her gift for melody is undeniable. If you're looking for great songs and an uncomprimising artist you can really believe in, you've come to the right place. This is an exceptional debut album.
on 24 September 2007
This album is excellent. It's one of those albums that gets better the more you listen to it, Joanna's funny too. My favourite line is "I killed my dinner with karate". Her voice is wonderful and her melodies and rhythm are continually changing and layering with each time I listen.
Buy this CD, it's up there with 'Songs from a room' and 'Liege and Lief'.
One person found this helpful
on 25 October 2005
What more can i say I love the cd. I like quite a few obscure female singers that have never made it big over here such as Heather Nova, Sarah Mclachlan and Jewel and I can now add Joanna Newsom to the list. I am not a highbrow arty person who is trying to interpret the lyrics and discuss the hidden meaning I just know what i like and this is it.
3 people found this helpful
on 23 March 2006
You will either love it or hate it, me I love it! Bought it months ago and it is still my most often played CD. IMO Cassiopeia is the only weak track the others are fantastic, especially Clam Crab Cockle Cowrie which simply so beautiful it leaves me dumbstruck!
15 people found this helpful
on 21 September 2005
I'm 18 and an enormous music fan, and have well over 300 albums, and this by far one of the best i own. You will never hear another album like it. I cant wait for her next album.
on 7 January 2005
Enough said really. I love it. Definately the best thing since Regina Spektor. Finally the solo girls in music are back to being original and fantastic. At the very least every low-grade hippy should own this!
3 people found this helpful
on 31 January 2007
I enjoyed this album but as for the originality so often cited, does no-one remember the great Melanie? We often listened to her great albums instead of 2-way family favourites - a great sacrifice in those dark days of the early 1970s. Newsom does deserve to be heard more widely - how about the getting the Wurzels to cover 'The Book of Right On' as they did with Melanie's "Brand New Key", making it a great hit?
on 30 November 2004
Please please please ignore Ugh, the laughingly self-styled music fan. S/he has neither ears nor mind. This album is a marvel, the lyrics, the harp, the harpsichord, but most of all her wonderful voice. To call it individual certainly is to damn it with faint praise. It is astonishing and it is truly beautiful.
18 people found this helpful
on 7 May 2006
typical me fashion the cover of this album caught my eye, track names and title agreed. an impulse buy was born (justified by lack of inspiration, and just generally stuck in a bit of a musical rut). anyway- not knowing what to expect this album could just be what i needed. to some it may sound like a bit of a waling mess, and i can see why, but the child-like innocence and playfullness it posseses cannot fail to uplift, whilst the sense of understanding and beauty hmmm... are just like tiny pieces of perfect. yummy. my favourite track so far, the one i've been playing repeatedly, is track 7 "En Gallop".

Enjoy!
16 people found this helpful
on 28 August 2007
Dont let the reviews below fool you! This album is a collection of quite nice little songs - nothing outstanding, but pleasant and well structured, although maybe a bit amateurishly produced.

But the VOCALS!! Appalling - her voice sounds like a particularly serious cat fight! And it goes ON and ON and ON. She has no talent at all in this direction. You have to have a particularly masochistic streak or a weird predilection for the bloomin awful to be able to listen for more than one track,despite the good harp playing.
4 people found this helpful