Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 August 2005
I was first introduced to Joanna Newson by a hapless dwarf who tried to preach to me the deep thought techniques that provoke eternal hapiness. I dismissed most of his views but when he forced me to listen to Newsom I was taken aback with joy. I truly believe she has the most beautiful voice in existance and plays the harp like pele played football. One thing I noticed is that half the time I don't understand what the hell her pretty lyrics are trying to portay, but when I do it is unstoppably witty and most importantly fun. Newson seems to sing about not much important but always about something joyful. I've heard endless criticism that her voice sounds like an angry cat being strangled although after a few listens you wonder why 'inspirational siner/songwriters' like norah jones, joss stone, etc don't sound like her. God knows what she means to call herself the milk-eyed mended but it's a timeless album and may she continue for many years. I truly belive that the sun doesn't orbit the earth but it follows Joanna Newsom.
on 15 December 2014
This is probably Joanna's best recording. Certainly for me , its lyricism and poetic songs along with Joanna's voice and harp playing conspire to set up a very special atmosphere .
Recommended.
on 12 September 2014
Not going to lie, some of you will hate this CD. The vocals are very high, and in some places, screechy. But the harp playing is amazing, and the young, childlike voice has a nice feel to it. :)
on 6 June 2016
Amazing voice, but tracks all a bit too similar, predictable, needs more variation as stays in same register begins to irritate!
on 7 May 2006
typical me fashion the cover of this album caught my eye, track names and title agreed. an impulse buy was born (justified by lack of inspiration, and just generally stuck in a bit of a musical rut). anyway- not knowing what to expect this album could just be what i needed. to some it may sound like a bit of a waling mess, and i can see why, but the child-like innocence and playfullness it posseses cannot fail to uplift, whilst the sense of understanding and beauty hmmm... are just like tiny pieces of perfect. yummy. my favourite track so far, the one i've been playing repeatedly, is track 7 "En Gallop".

Enjoy!
on 14 January 2007
It's rare to come across a record that is beautiful in parts, funny and charming in others, and sometimes incredibly touching, but this is one.

In my opinion the compositions and musicianship are first rate, most current female artists would kill for a collection of songs like this.

Joanna's voice is compelling, albeit challenging for first time listeners. And yes, she squawks, groans, and howls, but she does it in such a highly engaging way. It's like listening to a much-loved friend. If you value art, poetry and individuality, this CD could become a treasured part of your record collection.
on 9 January 2005
This cd is a must for any open minded music listener, Newsom's harp playing is stunning. It's nothing ive ever heard before but beautiful. There are some echoes of Kate Bush and Tori Amos here but Joanna Newsome is by no means a cheap immitation. I first heard 'The book of right-on' on Jools Holland and was amazed at what this girl can do with a harp. A stereotypically folk/classical instrument which i'd rather avoid, she has lifted the harp from all negative and boring baggage and brought it into the future, i hope people value this innovating music as much as i do. Give this cd a try, the girl is incredible!
on 25 January 2005
Her voice is of an aquired taste. Actually her voice is for somebody who actually has taste and can feel emotion in their music. I can almost imagine Joanna sat there playing infront of me when I walk to work with her in my headphones.
This is a stunning album full of bizarre lyrics, innovative structures and magnetic pop twists. Very subtle and understated.
on 19 October 2005
I bought this album without knowing anything about Joanna Newsom - I accidently came across her name on the internet and became intrigued after reading someone else's fervent praises of her. My spontinaity paid off as The Milk-Eyed Mender is the most beautiful and original collection of songs I've ever heard.
on 21 July 2014
Still original and fresh as the day first heard.