Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 July 2003
What the 7 new tracks on this album highlight is how a singer can improve with age. 50 years in the business and Shirley Bassey is sounding better than ever.
In truth, I would have prefered a whole album of new tracks rather than a 'best of' with some new tracks. However the new tracks are really excellent, especially the title track 'Thank You For The Years' which has to be one of the best ballads I have ever heard.
Whether you are a Bassey fan or not, I would strongly recommend you give this CD a go. This is a great collection of fantastic songs sung by one of the best female voices of all time. The production is faultless the arrangements breathtaking and even the older tracks sound 'cleaned up'.
Highly recommended.
on 26 May 2003
"Thank You For The Years" is released to mark Dame Shirley Bassey's 50th Anniversary in show business. The first 6 tracks are all new recordings. Every one of them is 5 stars including the superb title track. "Mi Amor" is an uptemp Spanish song and "I Only Want Some" is a fantastic Big Band number, plus the beautiful love songs "Can I Turn It All Around","Please Don't Say Goodbye" and the Burt Bacharach/Hal David "I Just Have To Breathe" where Shirley is accompanied only by piano to great effect. The rest of the cd contains previously released material. Recent singles "World In Union" and "History Repeating" are here with live versions of "Diamonds Are Forever" and "I Am What I Am" from her 60 birthday concert. So why only 4 stars?. Well the remaining tracks are from the 1950's and 60's and have been released on a hundred compilation cds before with "Something" being the only track from the 1970's. Shame that they didn't drop a couple of the 60's tracks and include "The Rhythm Divine" (with Yello) and "Disco La Passion"(with Chris Rea)or many of her greatest recordings made during the 70's and still associated with her like "Send In The Clowns" "What I Did For Love" "Ballad Of The Sad Young Men" Nobody Does It Like Me" "If I Never Sing Another Song" et al.
on 15 June 2003
This year Dame Shirley Bassey celebrates an unbelievable 50 years in show business, seeing her very recently in concert, half of her audience weren't even born when she started out. It is fitting that a celebratory album is released to mark such a marvellous show business achievement.
The album opens with 6 new recordings, with the title track Thank You For The Years - a song that conveys how Miss Bassey must feel and delivered the way you expect Dame Shirley to perform, with feeling and emotion. Mi Amor is an up beat track with a Spanish feel while I Just Have To Breathe is just Shirley and a piano, very effective.
The rest of the album features reissued tracks from her vast back catalogue, the songs that have helped to sustain her career for five decades. The live version of I Am What I Am shows just how good a performer Bassey is, the power and control in her voice is amazing. Big Spender, Never, Never Never, Something, What Now My Love, As I Love You are all blasts from the past but sound as good today as when they were first released.
Shirley Bassey is perfection personified, she has the glamour, the sense of performance and above all THAT VOICE. This album is a fitting tribute to a remarkable career, she is one of the most outstanding musical talents this country has ever produced and we won't ever see her like again. This album spans the 50 years of her career and is well worth adding to your collection.
on 30 May 2003
Excellent sellection of songs. I love the title track especially, it's one of those songs that sends shivers down your spine when you hear it. I first heard this on V.Graham Norton and it was that which prompted me to buy the album. Although I have obviously heard of Shirley Bassey I thought she only did James Bond type tracks and the big camp show stuff so this album is a real eye opener. So I would recommend this album to anyone who likes good melodic music, very powerful vocals and great orchestration and production.
on 1 August 2003
Celebrating 50 years in the music industry. Shirley Bassey returns with another album including several wonderful NEW tracks and a number of her most famous hits. The album holds many surprises, like 'World In Union' with Bryn Terfel & two live recordings...
Shirley remains timeless & her power and passion unsurpassed, she still sounds great after all these years. The album includes liner notes written by the dame herself & a number of glitzy photos.
The show does go on for this lady!
on 21 November 2003
As a mere lad of 33 who has been a fan of my "Auntie Shirley" since I was 8 years old(the year the 25th anniversary albulm came out) I suggest this is a good collection for those new to the "Queen of Wales". Everything from History Repeating to the early songs like Burn My Candle and as I Love You. I really like the 6 new songs also, especially Mi Amor. Me thinks it's the gypsy in me-lol
on 14 August 2003
When I first heard about this CD I wasn't sure. Most of her recent compilations include re-recordings of her Fifties hits so when I heard these ones were originals I bought it because it looked good. It has a very nice selection of hits. The first 6 six new songs aren't bad. It's nice to have her recent singles however these aren't her best songs. Diamonds Are Forever shouldn't be live. We want the original of this! I Am What I Am is worth listening to though. Then follows an endless segue of Bassey classics; Something will grow on you, with it's refreshing disco beat and smooth flow, then the two FABULOUS Bond themes. These are true hook-laden masterpieces. The next three were all very big 60s hits for her. They're dramatic - I'm sure those three are all from musicals. As is the next, Reach For The Stars, her 2nd and last UK No.1 hit. But why isn't the other side of this No.1 double a-side, Climb Ev'ry Mountain included? The remastering on this CD is excellent so it would have been good to see that one get similar treatment. The next part is from my personal best Shirley era. The energy which she gives to the eternal Kiss Me Honey is unmissable. As I Love You is a ballad of epic 50s proportions. Her first No.1 and up there with the others. Shame it doesn't get more recognition. Nice to see The Banana Boat Song on a Shirley compilation at last. Much better than the version with which she competed at the time by Harry Belafonte, it's a catchy little number which you can't resist. Finally, Burn My Candle (At Both Ends) is a great jazz song. It proves to you she can do jazz and stamp her mark all over it. It sounds like it was written for her. Shame it wasn't a hit - probably because of the risque lyric which was silly in the first place. Good idea to finish with the opening track in a new style, but I don't usually listen to it. Worth buying for the middle section alone.
on 2 June 2003
Thank you for the years CD will be a hit. Dame Shirley is truely a world class star. The new musical releases are wonderful and you will be glad you purchased this sensational CD. 50 years of performances for Dame Shirley is remarkable. Bless you my dear Shirley, I love you.
on 5 December 2016
I bought this CD for one particular song, but found I love them all, there is a good variety of old and new songs, it's a lovely collection.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 November 2013
A very powerful song by a very powerful singer. A song to play to someone you have appreciated. Good buy.