Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 March 2004
This album is one if the best albums I've ever bought, shame I didn't look to Amazon for the cheap price thier offering this at. I still cant stop listenig to this album my favourite song on the album has to be either "sweet child of mine" or "november rain"
on 19 April 2010
For reference as I would have found this useful, tracks comprise:

Welcome to the Jungle
Yesterdays
Ain't it Fun
Since I Don't Have You
Sympathy for the Devil

You know what they sound like!
33 Comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 March 2004
One look at this track listing and you see what a great album it is. Usually greatest hits comprise of a few good songs from a brilliant first album (which are here) but what makes this album so strong is the brilliant tracks from the Illusion albums. The double albums were weak in places but had some stunning songs (November Rain) and they sit really well with the classic tracks. Patience is also nicely placed,rather than having the other acoustic tracks from G'n R' Lies. The album does taper off a bit with the songs from The Spaghetti Incident but even they sound quite decent after some really classic material.
on 29 March 2004
Being a Guns N' Roses fan I bought this album just so I had every release. Although i'm not dissapointed with it, I am not pleased either.
One problem I have with the album is the lack of tracks. A GNR greatest hits should be a double CD with around 30 tracks in my opinion. Its missing such tracks as 'Its So Easy' and 'Mr Brownstone' from Appetite For Destruction. From the Use Your Illusion Albums where are 'Bad Obsession', 'Dust N' Bones' and many more. The tracks from The Spaghetti album should have been missed off, and more Appetite For Destruction added. Its such a shame this isn't better. You have to listen to all of Appetite just to know what GNR were all about.
Saying that important tracks are there, Welcome To The Jungle, Sweet Child O' Mine, Paradise City, November Rain...all great rock tracks, some of the greatest rock tracks ever.
In conclusion if you need to listen to some GNR for the first time then buy this. It has a good range of songs and for the price you can't go much wrong. Once you've listened to it then go through their back catalogue and you won't be dissapointed. For the hardcore fan this is dissapointing and you feel like the GNR feel is missing somehow. The fact that Slash, Axl, and Duff actually got together and tried to stop this being released because they didn't get to choose the artwork, the tracks, or anything to do with it says it all. GNR by name, not quite by nature.
Buy it anyway if your a fan to add to the collection, never heard of GNR, GET THIS NOW AND YOU WON'T LOOK BACK.
on 21 June 2004
I was a big fan of GnR and used to own all of the albums on tape (I know... but it was a long time ago). To be honest I always thought that Use Your Illusion being on two albums was a bit of a con, so I never bought the CDs. But my patience has paid off, and finally, here it is; a collection of the best of GnR at a decent price. It's quality from start to finish, containing pretty much all of their best songs (ok, five are covers, but they were always good covers). Some people may have a preference for some of their other songs; for those people, buy Use Your Illusion I and II and leave this well alone. If you just want to relive your old GnR days, this does the trick (although you might just want to buy Appetite for Destruction as well...).
on 24 June 2006
Whilst certainly not the biggest Guns N' Roses fan in the world, I often found myself unable to resist their catchy hits and so, upon seeing this CD available at a budget price, I snapped it up and I am sure glad I did.

This CD has not left my player since it arrived and to me it is an album I can listen to all the way through everytime I put it on. Whilst the most hardcore of G N' R fans may say that there are better songs that could have been included on this release, I feel that these are the most accessable songs that will bring in new fans. After all thats probably what Geffen where hoping since they actually wanted to sell copies of this thing.

For me the album does a good job of showing all sides of Guns N' Roses, from the rocking anthems like Welcome To The Jungle and Paradise City, to the power ballads such as Patience, Don't Cry and November Rain, and of course a few cover versions such as Knockin' On Heaven's Door and Live And Let Die. Not to mention my own favourite Civil War.

Whilst there may infact be a few too many cover versions and the record company could have gone with a few other original tracks already suggested in the other reviews, this album is still a great purchase and whilst to some it may be Guns And Roses lite, it is certainly a great way to introduce yourself to the band.
on 4 April 2005
Excellent introduction to Guns'N'Roses for anyone interested in the band. Great for people who are not massive fans and just want their most popular songs, great compilation.
This is a fantastic album every song on here is brilliant I love theyer version of Bob Dylan's knocking on heavens door and my best song on the album is November rain.
The guitar playing is amazing when ever I listen to this It always makes me feel happier and I would highly recommend it.
review image review image review image
The group formed in 'Los Angeles' in 1985 and have maintained a strong fan-base both sides
of 'The Atlantic' ever since.
Arguably one of the Hottest Rock acts around with artists such as 'Axl Rose' (lead singer) and
considered one of the all-time great Guitarists 'Slash' (lead guitarist) along with 'Rhythm Guitarist'
'Izzy Stradin' among the impressive instrumentalist line-up.
Their music has achieved World-Wide success and acclaim.....the group first featured in the U.K
Chart in 1987 with a lower-order entry - 'Welcome To The Jungle' (Chart '67') however the song
was re-released the following year and achieved Top 30 status.
This 'Greatest-Hits' album does include all the groups Top-Ten U.K entries down the years.......
which includes numbers such as - 'Paradise City' (Chart '6' 1989) 'Sweet Child O' Mine' (Chart '6'
also 1989) 'Patience' (Chart '10' 1989) 'You Could be Mine' (Chart '3' 1991) 'Don't Cry' (Chart
'8' 1991) followed by 'Paul McCartney's' 'Live and Let Die' (Chart '5' also 1991) the following year
also having U.K Hits with 'November Rain' (Chart '4') and 'Bob Dylan's Classic' 'Knocking On
Heaven's Door' (Chart '2') also the same year 'Yesterday's / November Rain' (Chart '9') in 93'
'Civil War E.P' (Chart '11') followed by 'Ain't It Fun' (Chart '9') in 94' they had just the one Top 10
entry 'Since I Don't Have You' (Chart '10') and in 95' 'Rolling Stones Classic' 'Sympathy For
The Devil' (Chart '9') all these mentioned tracks on-board this great 'Rock' album.
They never actually achieved a U.K number One Singles Hit, though this Album and their 'Use Your
Illusions II Albums did Top the Album Charts.
Surely one of the great Rock-Bands of our Time...........this album obviously a great reflection of the
groups best known material.
(My Daughter, and Top 500 reviewer 'Timelord' persuaded me to add a 'Guns N' Roses' album to my
ever growing music collection......Glad I Have, many would say long-0verdue.
on 15 March 2004
This is a very good compilation of the biggest GnR singles, however as a long term fan I would have dropped a few covers in favour of some original material. NOW to put a few reviewers straight, this compilation has not been approved by Axl Rose, he is not short of money, and even considered legal action to prevent it being released. It was a record-label only decision to put out this compilation. Axl (as the remaining member of the original Guns and Roses) is still working on the long awaited Chinese Democracy album and takes the new look Guns And Roses on tour this summer so expect to hear most of this compilation, as well as some newer songs.
Most fans have these songs already, but if you havent then you should get this CD now. These are classic tracks that have easily stood the test of time coming from one of the greatest rock bands ever.