Customer reviews

Draper 53090 100 Amp Battery Load Tester

on 2 May 2011
Inorder to safely ascertain the state / condition of a lead acid car battery it is necessary to apply a substantial load to the battery and monitor any voltage drop occuring over a fixed time period. The piece of kit that I chose was the ASIN B001FCQXQW Draper 53090, 100amp battery load tester (BLT100). I found that the Draper 53090 was well made and easy to use with the instructions clear and concise. The tester can be used on both 6 and 12volt lead acid batteries. Once the crocodile clips have been connected to the battery (the red lead to the + terminal) the load switch is pressed and held on for approximately 10 seconds as stated, during this short time you will need to observe the clearly marked voltage scale to ascertain the state of the battery. Please be aware that the 100amp load element will get hot and heat up the top part of the case. Also if the 10 second time limit is extended there will be a risk of damage to the element. Basically a well made unit that does the job.
on 7 August 2011
I have found that the 100amp 12 volt battery tester not only tells me the state of my 12 volt batteries but is also good for checking on the Sola 12 volt system I use charging my 12 volt batteries in my caravan batteries and mobility scooters. I use it on a regular basis and has not let me down yet.
on 17 March 2009
This product is a little bigger than I thought it was going to be, the leads are a little bit short and this constricts the use of it and makes it feel bulky, other than that its good. (Longer leads please) and I would recomend this item.
on 21 February 2010
This is an excellent device but spoiled by the quality of the wiring. After one week's use I had to solder both ends of each of the connections to the voltmeter because the wire used is so thin it had broken at the crimping.
on 31 January 2009
Seems to do the job ... what more can you ask! it's pretty well made and if you 've got lots of realtives who don't know if their battery is any good then it's a good investment.
on 15 July 2011
Unlike some of the reviewers here, I found this to be solid and well made- the crimped connections are solid and fit for the task.
I use mine to check the battery bank on my narrowboat - 4 batteries, and for 20 pounds, it's paid for itself straightaway identifying the bad battery in the bank.
Highly recommended.
PS it gets VERY hot over the top half of the unit, but is clearly marked to that effect, and the area where you hold it stays cool.
on 6 May 2014
First time I used the load tester I burnt my hand. This was due to the absence of nuts on the bolts connecting both the crocodile clips to the leads. The consequent arching melted the plastic insulation causing burns to my fingers. I bolted the thing together properly and it now works fine. It wasn't possible to easily see the missing nuts as the insulation covered the connection. I advise checking these connections before initial use.
on 22 March 2010
This tool is a must for anyone who needs to keep acheck on their vehicle battery and charging health.
on 13 April 2010
Exellent machine, a product worth owning.
I have only had this product a few weeks and found numerous faults on my sons car.

BRILLIANT!!!!!

Harvey.
on 21 October 2013
Clear instructions, and nicely packaged. It works correctly and did exactly what was required of it. I hope not to have to use it too often!