Customer reviews

Laurel & Hardy Volume 3 - Way Out West/Shorts [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 May 2007
This set of Laurel & Hardy DVD's are an essential purchase for film fans and this particular volume is one of the very best of the 20.

'Way Out West' is their most popular long film (about 65 mins). Its very very funny with a number of brilliant recurring gags: The water-hole that Ollie falls into, Stan using his thumb as a lighter, and the wonderful edible hat (well for Stan anyway). Then of course there are the two wonderful song and dance routines to cap it all. Of course James Finlayson is there as well to add his inimitable DOH!

Of the shorts 'Thicker than Water' is the stand-out for me. This is one of the best of all their shorts, and they made loads. Peerless comedy of which the best sequence is the washing up in the kitchen, closely followed by the "I gave it him to give to you" routine. Again Finlayson is here to add his character to the film. It has a lovely twisted ending where after a blood transfusion the two of them get confused (literally)!

Nobody will ever match their comic genius, and this DVD is as good a representation of it as you can get.
on 7 February 2010
Laurel and Hardy at their very best!
The scenes where the Mule gets stuck on the balcony and Olly gets stuck in the cellar are priceless, not to mention that wonderful "Blue ridge mountains of Virginia" song. The shorts are brilliant too, a must have
on 29 August 2006
This is my fav L&H episode! WAY OUT WEST is just so funny, I have watched this many times and still makes me laugh! The colour version on the DVD is very good and I think Laurel and Hardy act out well in this and you can tell they are enjoying it too! The song and the dance they do in it is brilliant and my fav bit is the scene with the donkey, but I won't say nothing more incase there are new viewers and fans to Laurel and Hardy, but the whole DVD is brilliant and worth having just for way out west, but the extras on it are very good too!
on 12 February 2010
Laurel & Hardy Volume 3 - Way Out West/Shorts [DVD] [1937]
outstanding movie and great classic comedy on this dvd set you have
way out west (Black & white version
way out west (computer colour version
one good turn(Black & white version
one good turn(computer colour version
Thicker than water (Restored Black & white version
Thicker than water (computer colour version
Great classic movies & shorts from
the great Grand Masters of Comedy . Mr.Oliver Norvell Hardy and Mr. Stan Laurel (born Arthur Stanley Jefferson)
on 14 October 2017
Great film and service
on 31 July 2017
thanks me and boy love it
on 27 October 2010
The best comedians that ever lived.
My 6 year old watched this and is now a convert and we're having to buy the rest of the collection. It shows that even though the Laurel and Hardy films were made 70 years plus, it is just as funny to a child who is growing up in the digital, computer animated, hi tech world of today. You can tell that the films were crafted and created as works of art, with love and care. Fantastic!
on 7 September 2014
I love the way Olly looks at the camera in disbelief...they were original and still the best...
on 17 February 2005
Any fan of Laurel and Hardy will no doubt have their own favourites but to me this one is superb.Right from the opening scenes to the close you know that somethings gonna happen and the dou never fail to disapoint.
The plot involves our dou having the task of delivering a deed to a girl left to her by her dead father but..well just watch and you'll no doubt enjoy it like I did.
Also look out for the scene that gave Laurel and Hardy a number one hit with "Blue ridge mountains of virginia"
This film is a must own for all Laurel And Hardy fans and a great introduction to them for those experiencing them for the first time.
A CLASSIC....
on 2 August 2011
What can I say! Being a Laurel & Hardy fan since I was in my teens (I am now 70), I have collected a lot of L&H movies and shorts over the years. This dvd really exceeded my expectations. Way out West is a classic L&H, and no matter how many times I watch it, I can't help laughing out loud all over again. The dance routine outside the saloon, and singing "Trail of the Lonesome Pine" shows how much diversity these 2 guys had, and the mule ending up on the balcony - pure vintage L&H. I was reluctant at first to buy this dvd, because I have often found that "digitally remastered" left a lot to be desired with movies as old as this, but this particular release is well worth owning, and the picture quality is excellent. The colourized version is also well done, but might not appeal to the "purists" among L&H fanatics. The two added shorts are also very good, my favourite being "Thicker Than Water", but "One Good Turn" also has some good moments. I highly recommend this dvd to anyone interested in Laurel & Hardy.